Upgrade D3100 to D7000 or wait?

2»

Comments

• MichelleMichelle Posts: 20Member
    Amazon UK - £212 for the Speedlight SB700. Maybe next year!
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    :)>-
    Always learning.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    So you can afford a new body, but not a flash? Somehow the logic of that escapes me... :-O
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    OK, the CES is upon us and the thing to do is wait until one finds out what gives, from Nikon. As to all the flash talk...LEDs are coming along in their development and it may be advisable to see what one can get with these.

All the reflector talk....corrugated cardboard, painted white on one side, black on the other. Use some hook and loop material to control placement. We can make a lot of the stuff we think we need to purchase. A simple white sheet hung across a clothes line will reflect light.

Your D3100 other than its lack of focus motor is producing great results....just keep up the good work and save up your money for a while to see what Nikon may come up with in the next several months.
    Msmoto, mod
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited January 2013
    I'm currently also keeping track of the other forum post regarding buying the d7000 and I think that I will buy the D7000 next month.  At today's prices coupled with my low budget it's seeming to be a no-brainer.  

I think it will be a big upgrade from my D3100 especially with regards to focusing, speed. build, and functionality.  If you disagree please shout!

Thanks for your comments.  It's been fun

Michelle xxx
    YAAAAARRRRRRR !

Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,287Member
    Hmm...

a bit of a late post I guess, but I think a new lens purchase is in order instead of a flash, since your cats don't seem to like it much.

I'd go for a faster lens instead. You never really talked about what lenses you currently own. Do you have a 35mm 1.8? At the glacial pace at which Nikon updates lenses, you shouldn't be afraid of purchasing it.

The D7000 is a great camera, but if you own kit lenses only you really won't be getting the speed you might wish for.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • flight3flight3 Posts: 379Member
    edited February 2013
    I use the Yongnuo YN-560 II Speedlight Flash for my Nikon d3100, (I am much like you, this is my first DSLR and hope to upgrade cameras sometime this year :D). But it is a decent flash for under $100 on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Yongnuo-YN-560-Speedlight-Flash-Nikon/dp/B0079M711S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360650444&sr=8-1&keywords=nikon+flash+Yongnuo

Plus I like that it also swivels, which a lot of cheaper flashes don't. It is a full manual flash (No TTL), but I don't mind that because it helps me learn how the external flash works.
    Post edited by flight3 on
    Nikon D3100, 18-55mm VR, 50mm 1.8D, Sigma 70-200mm 2.8 OS, Yongnuo YN-560 II Speedlight Flash www.dreshad.com