Nikon 1 AW1

Comments

• GarethGareth Posts: 159Member
    Anyone else notice both an influx of used underwater housings and a nosedive in the price of other nikon 1 models since this was announced?
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    @proudgeek: For certain I will do it if we get it. An AWFUL lot of gear to do aerial, underwater, and regular stills and video is going. The backbone of this effort will be done in D7100 and Gp Pro Black as that is what were are used to doing. Taking along a timelapse D200 like was used in Chasing Ice will add too much to the weight of carryon gear. We do not do standard SCUBA. We use hookak diving gear (sometimes referred to as SNUBA) or free diving. As we are in the water for our construction work EVERYDAY UW cameras are imperative. This Nikon 1 AW 1 looks like one of Nikon's best offerings. If TTJ (see his post above) takes one to BVI will will all get a really good photographers take on this camera. Our list of Nikons to look at in B&H just before this trip seems to be growing!
    The NEW Nikon 10-100 Nikon 1 AW 1 lens equates on this format sensor to 27mm-270mm. A 2.7 multiplier would be used to find its 35mm full frame equivalent. It appears Nikon WILL HAVE to introduce a 6-20 zoom or something like that to get the proper UW wide angle which almost always seems best UW.
    So now the Df saga is over, anyone have any sample pics from this that really show what it can do?
    Nikon posted a couple of UW shots on its ad campaign for the Nikon 1 AW 1. The underwater photos by their company does NOTHING to convince people like me to buy one.
    Yeah, I thought the underwater shots were pretty muddy, but then I don't really know what to expect form underwater shots IQ wise.
    We shoot UW photos from Maine to ALaska, One favorite spot is the Adirondacks where some of the ponds are remarkably clear with beautiful Brook Trout. Another spot we think highly of is the Continental Divide Golden Trout Pond. Backscatter is the bugaboo of UW photography. There are places in Alaska with sparkling clear waters and others with glacial "milk" which makes the water less clear. But Nikon's ad campaign was photographed by UW rank amateurs and did NOTHING to promote their Nikon 1 AW 1 maybe exactly the OPPOSITE. Now people like myself( I've used everything UW from VIEW CAMERAS, big format MOVIE cameras (won a Blue Ribbon for one of those and sold 150 copies of that movie (I only did the UW scenes), to Sea & Sea (worthless in my opinion) to Nikonos (the RF was a leaker and expensive and put Nikon out of UW for years) to Go Pro which is THE current benchmark in UW rigs and great quality at a low price. Nikon even uses Go Pro "labels for their two current offerings (white and black for a one lens and two lens rig). I do not post my UW photos on the Internet and they are used mostly in free slide/sound shows. We do have some short video clips on the Internet that my oldest grandson and his father did that show action sequences.

Here is the HOPE for the Nikon 1 AW 1. That it can do stills that are even better than Go Pro. The not available but announced 10-100mm lens for the Nikon 1 AW 1 may be worth it. But until the camera (which really NEEDS at 6-18mm lens) is used by SOMEBODY in the right place at the right time with knowledge of their subject all bets are off now. We are going to Belize doing UW work in a few days for about a week trip. Whether or not we even bother to buy one of these cameras depends on our visit with B&H Photo and our impression just before our flight out. We are taking what I would call field gear. Big "pro" cameras are OUT as we will be on the move and really out in the thick of things. Biggest camera going is the wonderful D7100. Too bad the D400 wasn't out. That failure to produce that specific camera has many of the pros I know carefully evaluating their Nikon habit as we feel the Nikon DF is a large step in a whole different direction. A camera without video on it WILL never be in our gear bags EVER again. Still are IMPORTANT to me but some subjects are way better in motion than still.

The Nikon 1 AW 1 pictures that Nikon has presented to date are very accurately described by Gareth above "muddy". The verdict is out on this camera at present.
  • moreorlessmoreorless Posts: 120Member
    edited November 2013
    The whole nikon1 system is interesting .. but priced too high.. the AW1 underwater feature tips the Value balance positively. Also the new 20MP 1" sensor from sony (in the RX100) which I am expecting in the next generation Nikon1 cameras is very nice. I can see the AW series being the main Nikon1 product line.
    Indeed, to me the AW1 is the first Nikon 1 release where the sensor size really makes sense on anything but price. The regular bodies whilst they seem to perform pretty well don't really have much size advantage over a m43 camera, I'd guess because the issues of handling and lens mounting limit just how small it can get. If you look at the design of the 1 series relative to m43 its likely that size saving wouldn't have had to be pushed nearly as hard in either the body or the lens.

That obviously puts it in a good situation when it comes to adding the extra bulk of underwater sealing and toughening. You try the same with an m43 camera and I'd guess both the body and the lenses would end up significantly larger.
    Post edited by moreorless on
    DaveyJ, I would REALLY like to see some quality samples if you do manage to get one. I'm sure they would generate a lot of interest and hits for you as well.
    Gareth:

Went to B&H just before leaving for Belize. They did not have ONE Nikon 1 AW 1 for me to buy. They have sold every one they had. Still verdict is out on this camera. Maybe I would have got it from the Nikon Store but I trust B&H to allow trading for some other photo gear if I did not like it. The Nikon Store would not be as "liberal".

DaveyJ
    I bought my AW 1 thru the Nikon Store. We now have used it in the Florida Keys. I would rate it as one of the most interesting and usable Nikon cameras I have ever owned! For both still and video underwater it is amazing!!!
  • JuergenJuergen Posts: 315Member
    I bought my AW 1 thru the Nikon Store. We now have used it in the Florida Keys. I would rate it as one of the most interesting and usable Nikon cameras I have ever owned! For both still and video underwater it is amazing!!!
    Can't wait to see some photos.
    Jürgen

D4, D800E, Nikon 1 J2, 600 f/4, trinity, PC-E 45, PC-E 24, 105, 50 f/1,8g, 85 f/1,4, Sigma 150-500
  • WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    edited December 2013
    I think I will buy this camera the next time I go somewhere that involves snorkeling, which I enjoy. I don't think the depth limitation is an issue because scuba divers are a small minority of people that could benefit and addressing that minority might be cost prohibitive. When I was buying my son's J3 the other day I sold this camera to a guy that wants to use it for sailing and doesn't want to worry about getting it wet (the store staff were busy).
    Post edited by WestEndBoy on
    My grandson's video is going to be on the Internet in about a week. I have an initial review and a five star rating on Nikon USA for the Nikon AW 1,
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    My grandson's video is going to be on the Internet in about a week. I have an initial review and a five star rating on Nikon USA for the Nikon AW 1,
    Link?
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

edited December 2013
    Seas have been pretty rough in the diving site so the shallow water review of this camera will not be on the Internet until the usual footage is encountered. From what we have reviewed the camera is awesome for the price but until the right sharks and other fishes get their portraits recorded we will hold off posting. When the water has been right the timing for our photographer hasn't worked as he has other duties in the Keys.
    Post edited by DaveyJ on
    We bought the Nikon AW 1 and have used it extensively in Key West Florida. See our Key West Florida 2014 short video on UTube under Black Sky Films. That video was shot almost exclusively with AW 1 ALTHOUGH additional lens were used above water. Our conclusion especially underwater is that the AW 1 is an amazing camera and WORTH more than any of the three Nikonos UW cameras we own. The video is especially good. Above water in COLD settings the video was outstanding as well in temperatures other cameras were locking up at. The D7100 took the same temperatures too though. This is a VERY good buy if you want UW. I think the video mode is very important underwater.
  • BabaGanoushBabaGanoush Posts: 252Member
    My AW1 arrived via UPS tonight. Has anyone heard anything more about the dive light that Nikon said in its initial announcement of the AW1 it would release in early 2014?
    ^^^ it's scheduled for release in spring 2014, so any day now. But I'm pretty sure it's just one of these;

http://www.seaandsea.jp/products/strobe/ysd1/
    We are using B&H supplied Nocturnal Lights for the AW 1 and a few other brand UW cameras. Since we are free diving, and fairly shallow Hookah Pump working the above rig works nicely. We have Sea and Sea cameras and lighting and sadly found they could not work dependably so discontinued their use. Selling gear that you know is way less than perfect is not the answer. The AW 1 and Nocturnal Lights have been QUITE good. See our Key West 2014 video on Black Sky Films (UTube) for what that looks like. We rate the AW 1 as about the best practical underwater camera we have ever used in 50 years of UW work. Since my PhD is in aquatic science and Dwight Webster my Major Professor was WAY into UW video I have followed this field heavily since 1975. When the AW 1 comes out with a 6.8 to 15mm (which Nikon 1 has BUT not in underwater O Ring set up which will be needed) it will be spectacular. The wider zoom by the way has a pretty hefty price in the STANDARD VERSION and that needs to be the price of the UW capable lens or it will not sell as well as it should.
    Thanks for the replies, both of you. I'm making my way thru the AW1 user manual & the companion reference guide, though the operation of the camera is pretty straightforward and obviously not so different from what I've seen before on my DSLRs. So far I've taken a dozen pictures of my standard "first light" test scenes just to make sure the camera "works" and the results look very promising...the optical distortions that so badly afflicted my Panasonic TS3 and TS4 appear to be well controlled. Plus, Nikon colors (Neutral picture control with reduced saturation, Auto WB) are always on the money. Underwater tests will have to wait until the weekend.
    @DaveyJ: I assume you are referring to the $500 6.7-13mm f/3.5-5.6 non-UW Nikon 1 lens. I, too, am hoping and waiting for a sealed version of this lens. I'd pay almost any price for a fast wide angle UW zoom lens. The only alternative, after all, is a very expensive ($1K or much more) UW case for one of my DSLR or MFT cameras. Either way, there's a price to pay.
    @Owners of the AW1: Did anyone buy the Nikon AW1 screw-on camera grip and if so did it help you get a better grip on the camera with one hand?
  • jedperkinsjedperkins Posts: 1Member
    I just ordered the Nikon AW1 camera, white body with the orange sleeve, kit zoom, AW filter, and a spare battery. Had to go to three different places to find everything but it has all shipped and should arrive sometime next week. I getting this to replace my Pentax W60 camera for use when kayaking. I am also looking for a sealed camera and lens that can use outside in the winter here in Colorado. Still winter here actually as I got 6 inches of very heavy snow at my home yesterday.

I am mainly a mft user with a large number of lenses, and own both the Olympus EM5 and Panasonic GM1 cameras, so the AW1 will not be my every day shooter, but will be my specialized camera for kayaking, winter snowstorms, and of course the annual trip to the beach. I thought about purchasing either the Olympus 12-40mm (24 to 80 MM FF equivalent) or the Panasonic 12-35mm to use with my weather sealed EM5, but either of those packages will be bigger than the AW1, and I can't take them on my kayak. For about the same amount of money as either of those lenses I am buying a whole new camera instead!

I previously owned a Sony RX100 which i was very pleased with, but sold when I purchased the Panny GM1. I hope that the AW1 sensor and imaging is at least as good as the Sony, if so I will be a happy customer. I would love a wider lens, and hope that Nikon produces the 6.7mm - 13mm in a AW version. That lens would probably stay permanently attached to my camera.

I will likely shoot mainly jpegs, so I wonder if anyone has any tips regarding settings? With my GM1 I shoot "natural" (natural looking colors that are not over saturated), turn off NR and set sharpening to low, and then use a profile in Adobe LR that I think I think gets better NR and sharpening results than in camera. Will probably do something similar with the AW1. I am a bit concerned disappointed that there is no live histogram or live "blinkes" to let me know if I am over or under exposing, but I understand that blinkies are available in playback, so I will just chimp shots to check exposure, and shoot raw in high dynamic situations.

i am a big fan of the dynamic range compensation that is build into the GM1, and I understand that the AW1 has a similar feature, along with in camera HDR. I shoot in a lot of high dynamic environments here in Colorado and I find using this capability with jpegs yields very good results in daytime without needing to do extensive tinkering with every file like I need to do when I shoot raw.

Thanks for taking the time to read this post. I am very excited to be joining the Nikon 1 family of users, and looking forward to my new camera. I think the weather will be nice enough next weekend to bring out the kayak for the first time this year and having a new camera to play with out on the water will be awesome!.

- jed -
    To the above posters. @BabaGanoush: I bought the Nikon grip from B&H. It is excellent underwater. It is more just OK elsewhere. Looks a LOT better than the stock strap. B&H had a very nice price and some places were 3X higher for the same strap by Nikon.

To jedperkins: I have ONLY used JPEG Fine Large on the AW 1 as I am never impressed what RAW does period. THe JPEG fine large setting is quite OK. The video is excellent for what the camera costs. I own quite a few other Nikon DSLRs with video but a lot of the best this winter were done on the AW 1. The high dynamic range reference you make to me means bright sunny days with strong shadows and contrasting sun. Having shot a lot in Colorado and other mountain areas I will say the high dynamic range settings are useful but I always hope for great distance visibility on somewhat overcast conditions. Then I do not use those settings. I have used the AW 1 in almost every sports settings now EXCEPT kayaking. As we own about 20 kayaks eventually I will get to that. We sure have had some excellent results with Go Pro kayaking. There the advantage is wider.....sometimes I think you will want that.

Hope to hear from you both again. This is one cool and very fun camera. Sometimes it is so bright out that the LCD finder is hard to see!