Nikon 1 AW1

Comments

• DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    Note that UW use of the AW 1 with Nocturnal Lights will necessitate a different handbuilt grip. We use that same grip a lot just day free diving (snorkeling hardcore).
  • BabaGanoushBabaGanoush Posts: 252Member
    There appear to be two different grips for the Nikon 1. I took a chance and ordered the grip that B+H sells as an accessory for the AW1. The Nikon Web site doesn't have a picture of the grip for the AW1, so I'm not absolutely sure what I ordered from B+H is the right one, but if it doesn't fit I'm fairly confident I can return it. I'll only be using the grip when I go snorkeling with my wife or when we go out kayaking.

There are a bunch of Nocturnal Lights on the B+H Web page. If you don't mind my asking, which ones did you buy? Was it a kit with a tray and arms?
    edited April 2014
    The one I bought from B&H has Nikon on the strap and is black and white. Looks nice with the camera. But as I was not the principal UW photographer my grandson, Christjen, outfitted it. My son bought the Nocturanal Lights from B&H and I right now am not sure if it was the kit. I do know they fabricate most of the devices to use on these cameras. Since both of these guys are off working on a construction island project I will have to wait until they return. You can return it to B&H always within the 30 day period. Kayaking I would sure want the accessory strap with the black and white Nikon logo.

When we are free diving the rigor of the event sometimes calls for a stiffer carry arm and ours are just hand milled from aluminum and then painted, usually UW camo color. Our strap from B&H was only about 10 or 12 dollars, 29 elsewhere (same strap). Just the look of it to me makes it worth it. The connection with the camera is intentionally very thin to keep the diver safe and not snarled and attached to the camera if it gets snagged. I'd rather have a stouter connection and take the risk of not getting to just break it as we are working sometimes while carrying a camera (especially Go Pros). I would just ask B&H guys what Nocturnal grip to use with this camera and the light you are buying. The WONDERFUL thing about B&H is a LOT of these guys dive or at least enough do at the NYC Superstore that they can steer you in the right direction. UW we find mass is usually not so awful. Kayaking though you are going to want a minimal strap and the one I describe from B&H is the RIGHT one for that.
    Post edited by DaveyJ on
  • BabaGanoushBabaGanoush Posts: 252Member
    Thanks for all the info. I'll get in touch with B+H next week. I did my first shallow water immersion tests of the camera in our swimming pool and it passed with no serious leakage problem. There was a small drop of water inside the connector cover, right at the point where the hinge of the cover attaches to the camera body. The seal inside the cover, which protects the USB and HDMI ports, is a bit smaller than the cover. It did its job and kept the ports dry. All the buttons worked and the O-ring of the lens did what it was supposed to do. Next week I'll take it down to the ocean for a more serious test in salt water.
    We bought just the lights. We fabricated everything else but we own a lot of machine shop gear as the farming business we do is very technical for prototype installations. Our Nocturnal Light was the SLX 800t with lantern handle. You can find the rest of the gear in a good hardware store. Our camera mount is rigid and then comes up into a PVC flex air so the angle is infinitely adjustable, Our stuff is all colored in a marine blue. You need a mounting plate and a flex arm.

You want a separation of the AW 1 so the light is substantially up a ways over your shoulder. If not you get a "flashlight" effect with your photo. We have not had a drop of water in the AW 1. Be sure you get those AW 1 compartments closed in proper sequence and that they are tight. Best of luck to YOU! These Nocturnal Lights can be used for many other uses not just UW. We have used them for chimney inspections (concrete and silica fiber chimney relining) as a hand spotlight in lighting photos. NOTHING looks worse UW than "hotspots". The lighting will cost you considerably more than the AW 1. MOST UW shots taken in shallow water would NOT require daytime lighting. So try a lot of your shallow daytime photos and video without the lighting. Pay attention to your AW 1 depth gauge (very accurate) and avoid ANYTHING deeper than 49 ft.
    Another great use of this Nocturnal Lighting is chasing hermit and blue crabs along the beach at night. The colors and images are really cool and again this is not UW.
  • mmac1972mmac1972 Posts: 2Member
    I find extremely frustrating that this action camera does not have the interval shooting option, nor the possibility to connect an intervallometer for making timelapses. I sent already complaints to NikonUSA support. Hopefully in the next version they will include it. As long as this important feature is not included I will not buy it.
  • FL_GuyFL_Guy Posts: 1Member
    I love the idea of this camera - very compact, it is a rugged and waterproof as I need. Maybe not good enough images to replace my main camera, but very good for canoeing, boating, river hiking, etc. - just what I am looking for.

I'm VERY disappointed however that it is based on the sensor from the J3, rather than the V3. The images from the V3 are suprisingly good, and given that this one is coming out so close to the time of the V3, I'm disappointed that it has the older sensor.

Based on that fact, I'm likely to wait for the 'AW2' with the newer sensor. Shame...
    I bought the AW 1 as it had a bigger sensor than the Go Pros which we own seven of. No other underwater camera has impressed me as much as the AW 1 but we still always use say a Go Pro 3 plus too as when you need wide that is available. Together they shoot amazing video and nice stills. All of us here use the AW 1 panoramic mode a fair amount. I still use the Nikon DSLRs as a primary camera but the AW 1 gets more use than I ever dreamed of and it is a tough and attractive little camera. After 40 cameras and lots of lens purchased to do underwater work, the AW 1 has been far more than we even hoped for. Waiting for a AW 2 (which we would buy immediately) will test anyone's patience. Since the AW 1 has won the best awards in the world in the rugged camera class it is clear the camera has developed a five star reputation. Despite my love for D800s and D7100 there are times that the AW 1 trumps them. Actually AW 1s biggest competition is the Go Pro. Still I agree with the FL Guy that a bigger sensor AW 2 would be a real camera!
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    edited May 2014
    There is a time and place for every tool.

If you guys are interested, Thom Hogan's site has a fair amount of coverage on the AW1 when he went to the Galapagos Islands.
    Post edited by NSXTypeR on
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • GarethGareth Posts: 159Member
    How many shots are people getting from this with an 8/16/32 or 64gb card in both raw and the highest jpeg.
    edited May 2014
    Gareth: I do not know the exact number. But it SEEMS to exceed the D3200 with the same type high end capture card. Sorry I do not know the number. It is a LOT! My comments though are not about RAW. When i shot RAW the results are so marginal and so much more work that I do NOT use it. JPEG Fine LArge though you know takes up 1/2 as much space so just plan accordingly.
    Post edited by DaveyJ on
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    Hi there .. need some walls to bounce ideas off .. I have the n1V1 and its really nice but I am considering moving to the AW1. I have a few questions about that so if any one has ideas please comment..

1) The handling of the V1 with the EVF is nice. so will I be giving up too much just using the back of the camera?
    2) I have the 10-30 lense with the V1. and I have the FT1 which I use with DX/FX lenses. should I be getting the 11-27 or the 10 AW lenses with the AW1? I mean when you use it underwater will the 10 F2.8 be more useful than the 11-27 F3.5-5.6?
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

My oldest grandson is a pro photographer. He is reaching the point of being very booked up. He uses and has great respect for the AW 1. The V1 is OK but does not have the waterproof, shockproof features and therefore can not take those truly unusual photos. There is a one lens offer and a two lens offer. I see the zoom lens only as the way to go.
    I will try to post some photos with the AW 1 to show you. The videos on that camera are very good. The panoramic mode is very well done also!
    Thanks for your help ..

Just to confirm (as my original message/question was unclear), you are saying that the 11-27 is a better proposition than the 10mm F2.8. I was thinking that the wider aperture may be more important than the reach and zoom flexibility when used underwater.
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

We use the Nikon AW 1 as much at a pro level as anyone I know and since there are LOTS of UW images being done with Go Pro.....the niche for AW 1 is WITH the zoom lens! If you wanted the 10mm f 2.8 fine buy BOTH. But if you get just one lens it better be the 11-27mm. Despite the fact that you may THINK the wider aperture might be needed Christjen Johnson on of the best free divers I know has used MANY UW cameras and his photos UW with the AW 1 are awesome. I have owned about 35 UW cameras. The Go Pros like the Go Pro four and the Nikon AW 1 have the most flexibility of current UW cameras unless you are going to invest a fortune.
    Thom Hogan's group in the Galapagos probably put as much on the Internet as anyone I know. Yet they had no video as far as I know. There is though a benefit to someone who is BOTH a great photographer and a good diver. Tanks that create lots of bubbles also scare most of the fish we try to photograph. Free diving has been the best.Rebreathers that we use and SNUBA both have benefits.
    @DaveyJ : Thank you very much for your advice and recommendation.

One note I should add on Nikon I AW I. We use that camera almost more than ALL other cameras as it goes to work sites every day to document construction work. This week it is a great camp boat house that is extremely well built EXCEPT for a decided lean in the very center and it requires underwater and very heavy duty jacking and solid timber and rebuild to get the building back in balance. The AW I gets used to photograph the before and after and has many advantages, small, SHOCKPROOF, waterproof, and good quality images and video. The are on Nikon Rumors adds for J1 which include a UW housing. I'd still take the 11-27mm zoom lens on the AW I. We would also be interested in a longer length zoom for UW for some fish like Yellowfin Tuna which we have found are faster than can be fathomed and tough to get very close to before they rocket somewhere else. The very definition of pelagic!
    https://photographylife.com/reviews/nikon-1-aw1 not a glowing review at all ! What do you think of his criticisms?

edited May 2015
    I greatly respect Nasim's reviews and opinions. But having owned and taken UW photos and movies, including doing all the UW scenes in movies that won international awards.....The AW 1 is an amazing effective a relatively low cost camera. Our photo expense last year here was $37,000. My son who runs this company uses the Nikon 1 AW1 more than any other camera. When you are underwater with a pricey camera you are at risk. We do underwater construction work a fair amount. But take a "vacation" somewhere where there is water sports involved. The AW 1 is an efficient and reasonably good video and still camera. Nasim's Photography Life is a great plus in the photo industry.

HOWEVER he is not using these cameras the way we do. He also never spent over $100,000 on underwater camera gear. I have not ever seen his reviews on say a Go Pro. Nor do I need to. But for almost everyone here on this thread....I am going to guess OUR experience and evaluation of the Nikon 1 AW 1 is more relevant.....it is A GREAT tool. Is it the best camera out there? Hell NO! But for what you pay for it.....and what it will do it is totally awesome. If I were just to buy one inexpensive camera for UW and action environments it would be Go Pro. But a Nikon 1 AW I has a whole different look UW plus zoom ability if you have the 11-27mm zoom (the best Nikon makes for UW). All cameras and lens are compromises. The Nikon 1 AW I does awfully well in that anaylsis. Thom Hogan's use of the Nikon 1 AW I in the Galapagos is still the best PUBLISHED test of the camera. Photography Life review here is questionable. Why have WE NOT PUBLISHED OUR FINDINGS? We were the first outfit to publish our review of the Nikon 1 AW 1 on the entire Internet. We gave it five stars. After that we have kept out Nikon 1 AW I images for our paying customers! It is an edge that we must have to compete.

Good luck to you all here. Underwater cameras is a potentially difficult area of photography. First the competence of the person UW is of paramount importance. Being a the right place at the right time is crucial.But the lovely LITTLE Nikon 1 AW ! is a real keeper. ALl the money I spent on Nikonos cameras in the past was a comparative waste.
    Post edited by DaveyJ on
    Thank you for that information.. can you put a link to your review?

It is on Nikon USA and there is only the five star rating and no photos. I have very complex slidesound shows done on the Nikon 1 AW 1 but all the rendering and whatever takes time and right now we are busy at work. I am writing this on a job site where we are setting timbers. Our U Tube personal programs are on Black Sky Entertainment on U Tube. There are UW scenes in these U Tube videos....I also admit that I think Nikon USA changes their reviews every once in awhile. The last time I tried to check our AW I reviews there I could myself not find it. I regret that I myself am not set up with the massive computer systems that my son and his oldest son use. My apologies as I would love to send you the images (both still and video). This move is MY NEXT personal goal....get a 5K IMac and get this stuff on U Tube so everyone interested could see it. Right now it though has given my oldest grandson a competitive edge. I am going right now to Nasim's AW I review so I can see his take on the camera. I should also admit I am kind of waiting to see if Nikon is going to do something else in the UW field?
    edited May 2015
    I just checked Nikon USA and our review is there with our five star rating under DaveyJ. Unfortunately Christjen Johnson's EXCELLENT videos and still are not there. It will cost us a lot to get that done. Too bad as Hearty Fisher's posts always catch my attention.

Wish I could show you my Aperture slidesound shows on my 55" Samsung 4K screens....I know this world is getting better in ability to share imagery but I deeply regret not being yet able to show you our images...Some guys on Nikon Rumors have some amazing stuff to share.

I need to upgrade this ancient Mac and get this stuff to share with you. I also admit in my lower after 70 income I have to really research something carefully just to be able to spend Nikon AW I money. I did see the Photograohy Life review.I would have shot almost all of it with a D7100. With a little protection a Nikon DSLR camera is amazing. Getting fogging and blaming it on a camera is in my mind quite naive. We have to temper a camera pretty carefully as we can be using Atlantic Dry Suits in 40 deg. F. water and then use the same gear in the Keys where Lycra thin suits are used primarily to make our bodies look more aquatic. Fogging cameras and lens need to be handled better to not get a crop failure. Well my work crew has finished putting in boathouse piers for this day and they are waiting for me to stop typing.
    Post edited by DaveyJ on