300 mm f4

Comments

• adamzadamz Posts: 842Moderator
    @gold007sd - you know that I can give you my B&H my wish list if you have problem with spending cash :)
    but seriously, N300/4 IMHO it's the best glass you can get for money. it's sharp enough for d800 and I'm a very picky person. as you can see on the flickr (sorry Ali, had to change the url to point to a proper profile, where actually 99% of my animal snaps are taken with this lens) I use it quite often. would I love to have one of the longer glasses - sure. would I prefer to haul this one instead of 500/4 or 800/5.6 - sure. with TC-14 you get 420mm/f4.8 lens which is still very good on d800. add a DX crop and you end up with: 630mm/f4.8 which is pretty much the size and weight of N70-200/2.8 (basically fits into TT | Lowepro top loader case).
    OMT - the only one thing this lens really lacks is build in VR, as it would be helpful sometimes... also Nano coating will be desirable :)
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Its F5.6 with the 1.4x TC.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    Nikon 300mm f/4.0D ED-IF AF-S Nikkor Lens for Nikon...
    $1,134.99 at Amazon.
    They have 11 left.

Tax kills it for me but hopefully that helps someone!

I am praying the next version also has VRIII, is shorter than the length of 9 inches and weighs less than 3 pounds.
    Are you listening Nikon??!!!! [-O<
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Those pictures on Flicker are outstanding and very sharp. I was not in the market for a 300 F/4 but after seeing the pictures I may have to reconsider. Very impressive work.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    Msmoto said:
    I would never purchase this lens new. It must be one of the oldest lenses in the lineup. If one looks at the "Buying Guide" above, the recommendation is to wait. Not having VR, this is IMO an outdated lens.

I would be curious what you think of the 200mm F4 Micro. It is even older. I am actually thinking of buying it this spring because it is damn good and I am worried that Nikon will replace it with something for twice the price and features that you don't need for Macro like VR and better autofocusing (for those unfamiliar with Macro photography, shooting is usually best done with manual focus).

One thing I would pay more for is auto-focus with "automated focus bracketing". I think that might be very useful in Macro photography - but I might be wrong. It would require a firmware update on my D800 as well - hmmm, then focus bracketing might work with any lens.
  • dissentdissent Posts: 1,341Member
    yes, still chomping at the bit to see when the new lens is announced, but I could easily see myself going for the older f/4 if the new lens is über pricey or not much more capable. I'm just about to rent this with the 1.4 TC to get a handle on what I can try to do with it in the meantime.
    - Ian . . . [D7000, D7100; Nikon glass: 35 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 70-300 VR, 105 f2.8 VR, 12-24 f4; 16-85 VR, 300 f4D, 14E-II TC, SB-400, SB-700 . . . and still plenty of ignorance]
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Considering that the current 300mm F4 is rarely in stock, I don't think waiting for the new version to see if there will be discount would be very helpful.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Volunteer job....gosh, I thought we got paid $100,000 per year... paid annually on November 31st..... :D

I speak only for myself, but, I view any forum/blog like eating at a cafeteria.....take what you like and leave the rest.

As to the 300mm f/4, I would be comparing this to a 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII with a TC-14EII. And, I think the latter combination works well for me, so at present I would find myself only interested in the 300mm f/2.8...VRIII at some point in the future.
    Msmoto, mod
  • smkundersmkunder Posts: 11Member
    I wonder if the one mentioned on Amazon is a USA version or Grey. I also checked the work of Flicker, they were outstanding, made a believer out of me on this lens.
    Just called Amazon, they did say it is a US version for $1134.99, has any one ever bought from Amazon on a higher end lens, and will the warranty be honored by Nikon, seeing as they do not show as a authorized Nikon retailer. If I can feel comfortable with these things I think I would pull the trigger on this lens at this price.
    Well folks, the lens is on the way from Amazon, I am so excited! I know a newer version is on the way, but this made it into my budget. I am sure it well work well for me. There will always be something newer on horizon, but I could not put anymore money in it at this time. Thanks for all the help.
    @smkunder - good decision, you will not regret it. I really love this lens. one thing you should also order - if you plan to use it on tripod - is a collar from either RRS or Kirk (RRS has better design, Kirk is a fraction stable) as the original is little bit on the shitty side (if you drink wine than there's an option to make it less shitty, just cut the cork a little bit and slight between the foot and lens, it's gonna be stable but you have to remember about it when you will turn the lens).

@msmoto - you know I've tested all the combinations, and the N70-200/2.8+TC is not as good (nor long) as N300/4+TC14 (not even mentioning bare N300)... as for N300/2.8... it's on the wish list :)
    @smkunder - Glad you found that amazon link useful. Enjoy the lens. I would do the same if it weren't so long. Can't fit a 9 inch lens with camera attached into my messenger bag...
    Going to try my first shooting episode later with the 7100. Fingers crossed it was worth the 900 bucks.
  • YetibuddhaYetibuddha Posts: 388Member
    I first rented the 300mm F/4, based on this discussion, then found a used one in great condition with a Kirk Collar at KEH. This was for lwss than $1100. I added a 1.4 teleconverter. It is an outstanding lens and great combo. So thanks for the discussion. Of course, now the price of new 300 mm f/4 has been reduced, but even with that, I still saved a lot of money. No regrets.
  • crizmancrizman Posts: 27Member
    Back in the day I had the old 300 f 4.5 lens( had it a'id )-a little soft so i got rid of it. Recently had a few extra$$$ & just picked up the 300 f 4 & tc1.4 & the kirk lens collar. Hope to put it to use this week. Did'nt want to wait for updated lens w/ updated price.
  • GarethGareth Posts: 159Member
    edited November 2013
    For those of you wondering what the 2.8 does that the 4 doesn't, check this out;

click the little arrow icon for full screen (sorry, I can't work out the java to hide the phone number etc yet, I will get to it at some stage).

---------
    sorry gareth, no direct links to personal websites, I've updated your post so it will show the image
    adamz
    Post edited by adamz on
    I still want Nikon to release a DO 300mm f4. This would be a dream lens if its much smaller than the current one
  • kyoshinikonkyoshinikon Posts: 411Member
    edited November 2013
    I love my 300mm f/2.8's with that said there is an obvious need for a F/4. My 2.8's while a very old version are large, heavy, and almost the largest you can handhold... Im suprised Nikon hasn't released a f/4 with vr already. Nice pic Gareth. I will say my 300mm is the only lens I love more than my 14-24mm. The images I get out of it are stunning and it would be one of the last to go if it came down to the wire.
    Post edited by kyoshinikon on
    “To photograph is to hold one’s breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It’s at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy.” - Bresson
  • dissentdissent Posts: 1,341Member
    Just started my rental period with a 300 f/4 w/1.4 TC. Did a couple hours shooting this morning before another appointment I had and I have to say that I am impressed. Even without VR a junior journeyman such as myself is still able to get nice relatively sharp shots out of it on my D7000. I still wanna see what the purported soon to be announced VR upgrade version can do, but if it's way more expensive I can easily see myself picking up one of these non-VR lenses. Like mucho.
    - Ian . . . [D7000, D7100; Nikon glass: 35 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 70-300 VR, 105 f2.8 VR, 12-24 f4; 16-85 VR, 300 f4D, 14E-II TC, SB-400, SB-700 . . . and still plenty of ignorance]
    Just got mine today in the mail from Amazon, I played a bit, seems nice. Looking forward to putting it through its paces.
    Anymore news on a possible VR update?

Also, the 300 lens is long. If you are traveling, how do you carry it with the camera attached? In a bag? A sling?
    My fear is that I am walking and all of a sudden see a bird but can't get the camera out in time to take the shot. Any easy access bags that work with this lens? I love a simple should bag like the passport sling, but it may be too tiny for this lens/TC/Camera body combo.

Thanks!
    @manhattanboy - when I'm travelling only with this lens, I use a top loader bag - in my case it's the ThinkTank Digital Holster 50 v2 (though, after having some issues with the company I'm not gonna recommend it anymore). it fits D3s size camera + N300/4 + TC1.4 in a ready to shoot position. If I'm travelling with it, and when it's not my main lens. than I simply put it into a neoprene bag I got from ebay.
    @manhattanboy - when I'm travelling only with this lens, I use a top loader bag - in my case it's the ThinkTank Digital Holster 50 v2
    Thanks for the recs. I bought some foam padding and will try taking out the restrictive lining box of my current slight bag and line it with the foam on the bottom and see how it goes with the 70-200 2.8 attached. If there is still some room then the 300 f4 with TC should fit sideways.

I was holding out hope for a 300 DO f4 that is smaller and lighter to go along with the D4S announcement...
    edited January 2014
    The new reviews on the Tamron 150-600 zoom look great.
    http://www.ephotozine.com/article/tamron-sp-150-600mm-f-5-6-3-di-vc-usd-lens-review-23866
    Would you all recommend just forgoing the more expensive 300 prime + 1.4 TC and just instead get the tamron zoom.
    That is seriously what I am thinking now. Having an effective 1200mm vibration stabilized reach in crop mode on the 7100 shooting handheld would be a dream...
    Post edited by manhattanboy on