What is a fine art photograph?

rmprmp Posts: 586Member
edited January 2013 in General Discussions

What is a fine art photograph?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

<?xml:namespace prefix = u1 />

I have several examples thanks to
some of you. But, I do not have a definition that is usable in any way. All of
the definitions I find basically say a “fine art photograph” is not a
photo-journalistic photo. Or something to that affect. I have attached a list
of definitions from Wikipedia.org.

I do not like any of them.

What do think of the following
definitions?

“A piece of fine art shows a mastery
of its medium.”

“A fine art photograph is a photograph that shows
mastery of every step in the creative process.”

RMP

Post edited by Msmoto on
Robert M. Poston: D4, D810, V3, 14-24 F2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 80-400, 105 macro.

Comments

• shawninoshawnino Posts: 453Member
    It'll smell like a cop-out, but every language or mathematical system needs undefined terms that we all pretend to just understand, and I'd make the argument that "fine art photograph" or at the very least "art" be left undefined here. We have seen similar struggles in other fields, such as the US Supreme Court's attempts to put a definition on obscenity. 

I'm content to take Justice Stewart's words and apply them to the context of what is a fine art photograph, that is, "I shall not today attempt further to define the kinds of material I understand to be embraced within that shorthand description, and perhaps I could never succeed in intelligibly doing so. But I know it when I see it...."

Not what you're looking for, but I quite seriously believe that "art" cannot be adequately defined. 
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    This may be overly simplistic, but fine art needs to be framed, hung in a gallery and sold. Until then it may be "a nice photo" but until it's hanging on a wall it ain't art. A bound and printed book will work too. My personal opinion anyway, start chucking rocks...
  • RatatoskrRatatoskr Posts: 32Member
    Bah,
    Fine art = as weird as possible
    Man's heart away from nature becomes hard. - Standing Bear
    It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value. - Arthur C. Clarke
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    edited January 2013
    @Ratatoskr that is well within my definition ;-) if someone is willing to buy it then it's art.
    Post edited by Ironheart on
  • blandbland Posts: 812Member
    When art has to be defined, it's bad art.
  • MikeGunterMikeGunter Posts: 543Member
    edited January 2013
    Hi all,

Very, very good marketing, that, if your very lucky, someone else does for you.

My best,

Mike
    Post edited by MikeGunter on
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member

Not too sure what fine art photography is? but a fine art print is printed on fine art paper

so you can TRY and ask more money for it

• TaoTeJaredTaoTeJared Posts: 1,306Member
    Hi all,

Very, very good marketing, that, if your very lucky, someone else does for you.

My best,

Mike
    +1 - love it!!!
    D800, D300, D50(ir converted), FujiX100, Canon G11, Olympus TG2. Nikon lenses - 24mm 2.8, 35mm 1.8, (5 in all)50mm, 60mm, 85mm 1.8, 105vr, 105 f2.5, 180mm 2.8, 70-200vr1, 24-120vr f4. Tokina 12-24mm, 16-28mm, 28-70mm (angenieux design), 300mm f2.8. Sigma 15mm fisheye. Voigtlander R2 (olive) & R2a, Voigt 35mm 2.5, Zeiss 50mm f/2, Leica 90mm f/4. I know I missed something...
  • framerframer Posts: 491Member
    edited January 2013
    It is not signs, landscapes, wildlife... Create a fantasy and photograph it somehow. Create a new reality and photograph it. Can it take someone on a journey for a few moments. Viewing it should be like reading a good poem to you subconscious.

framer
    Post edited by framer on
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    It is not signs, landscapes, wildlife... Create a fantasy and photograph it somehow. Create a new reality and photograph it. Can it take someone on a journey for a few moments. Viewing it should be like reading a good poem to you subconscious.

framer
    That is a very good place to start describing it Framer and it also aligns with what the PAGB judges seem to be responding well to at the moment.
    Always learning.
  • rmprmp Posts: 586Member
    OK, Thanks everyone. I think I got it. Here is the definition I'm working with now.
    "A fine art photograph is a photograph that invokes an emotion in the viewer and shows mastery of every step in the creative process"
    Robert M. Poston: D4, D810, V3, 14-24 F2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 80-400, 105 macro.
  • warprintswarprints Posts: 61Member
    Fine art is like beauty. You can't define it, it just happens.
    edited January 2013
    Brain wash.
    Fine art is just a definition. In a perfect world it would be like framer says but in reality it's all of what framer said minus the "Viewing it should be like reading a good poem to you subconscious."
    If you have a name in the business you can create any crap and it will still be called Fine Art. As long as the rich gullible buyers compete to have the known names hanging on their walls it just doesn't matter if it invokes anything at all. You can talk almost anyone into feeling or seeing anything.
    I've barely ever seen any Fine Art invoking any feelings except laughter at how easily fooled people are into buying the crap and how easily they follow others in thought and taste. And I come from a line of artists of all sorts (painters, opera singers, etc.).
    Post edited by Ratatoskr on
    It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value. - Arthur C. Clarke
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,673Member
    Fine art photography is any photo the "experts" recognize as fine art and that recognition my not occur for decades or even centuries. "Fine art" may not even be recognized as such at by contemporary "experts." Today a Van Gogh painting unquestionably is fine art but his paintings were not recognized as such by the contemporary "experts." Only one of his paintings sold in his lifetime. Many photographers feel their work is "fine art" but they are sadly mistaken. Conversely, some of their photographs are fine art and are just not recognized as such. As a practical matter we each can look at our own photos and believe some are "fine art." However, to truly be recognized as "fine art" a photo will have to be seen by some expert who places that label upon it and most of our photographs are never seen by such experts. I believe every day thousands of very excellent "fine art" photographs are taken and lost to humanity because they never are seen by "experts" and never are preserved anywhere people looking for "fine art" will find them.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    @ rmp...Bob, I like this definition....creates an emotional response, technically well done. I might even have a couple of these.
    Msmoto, mod
    well said donaldejose. History showing how it works.
  • Parke1953Parke1953 Posts: 456Member
    Fine art can be seen on PHOTO-A-DAY. :-h
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    edited January 2013
    "Fine art" photography if taken literarily, could be an image take of a pice of antique with some historical value. However, one could also argue that every image take in a piece of art...it all depends on the viewer. Having the image have some sort of monitory value is not always required, but does add tangible valve to it.
    Post edited by Golf007sd on
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
    Hi all,

"Having the image have some sort of monitory value is not all ways required, but does add tangle valve to it.

@Golf007sd, I know it's a typo, but please don't change it. It's perfect as it is.

My best,

Mike
    @MikeGunter LMFAO! I had to change it but you have it now so the world will see it. That is what happens when one is watching NFL and typing at the same time then hitting return before having a change to re-read it. Oooh well the joke is one me...hehe!
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Yeah, for sure the tangle valve added will result in an additional padded valve angle tax....
    Msmoto, mod
    Yeah, for sure the tangle valve added will result in an additional padded valve angle tax....
    Love it
    Hi all,

@Golf007sd I've been an editor and teacher of writing/journalism/photography for eons. I've made more missstakes than you have yearsss.

My test.

Mike
  • framerframer Posts: 491Member
    Art is created by an artist,
    Brain wash.
    Fine art is just a definition. In a perfect world it would be like framer says but in reality it's all of what framer said minus the "Viewing it should be like reading a good poem to your subconscious."
    If you have a name in the business you can create any crap and it will still be called Fine Art. As long as the rich gullible buyers compete to have the known names hanging on their walls it just doesn't matter if it invokes anything at all. You can talk almost anyone into feeling or seeing anything.
    I've barely ever seen any Fine Art invoking any feelings except laughter at how easily fooled people are into buying the crap and how easily they follow others in thought and taste. And I come from a line of artists of all sorts (painters, opera singers, etc.).
    I had written a longer response along the lines of your response and deleted it. After working 20+ years for "Fine Art Galleries", I loved the comment brain wash. But all successful art salespersons are just full of BS IMHO.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    Looking at fine art exhibitions, it seems to be the sort of stuff in my in my deleted folder