D5300 Discussions

Comments

• sparky46ersparky46er Posts: 4Member
    edited November 2013
    I'm of the same mind @spraynpray. I bought it from amazon. So if nikon cannot give me a straight answer, it's going back for a swap.i love having a prime membership...
    Post edited by sparky46er on
  • giacorigiacori Posts: 0Member
    I think it will be a great starter camera. And it comes in red! ;)
    My first test sample for Nikon Italy, test video slow motion, wonderful camera.
    Slow motion with new Nikon D5300:

• MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited November 2013
    @sparky46er

I agree with spraynpray…time for service. One point I would emphasize is to document in writing everything you have done, dates, time, etc. in your attempt to get location data working in your camera. Maybe even record the actual location data from one of your other GPS units. The documentation will suggest to Nikon you have done all you can and that the camera does not work properly.

@giacori

How cool….and, welcome to NRF.
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
  • giacorigiacori Posts: 0Member
    This is my first test video at 50p 1920x1080. Great camera, wonderful features.

• Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    Where can I get a battery grip for the Nikon D5300? I'm having a hard time finding one that looks like it was even built for the camera. Most of the 3rd party sellers have the D5100 and D5200, the D5300 is smaller than those two. I don't want a grip that sticks out past the camera's body, would prefer it lined up perfectly. Any help would be awesome. Thanks in advance.
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • pizzathiefpizzathief Posts: 24Member
    Nevermind, Pro Master actually has one that is meant for the D5300. Sorry for the confusion all.
    http://www.promaster.com/products.asp?product=7071
    [Nikon D5300][Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II][Tamron AF 75-300mm 1:4-5.6 LD][Tamron SP AF 2x Pro Teleconverter] Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/119130093@N07/
  • FreezeActionFreezeAction Posts: 893Member
    edited February 2014
    Has anyone seen images from a D5300 at the 12,800 ISO?

As to purchase of a new model, I would strongly recommend Amazon, Adorama, or B& H
    B&H is processing one now that will be my wife's toy once I get a D4s. After reading volumes and testing images in Photoshop we pulled the plug today and ordered one with the 18-140mm plus a 50mm 1.8 lens for a specialty job I do indoors. Dollars saved on the D5300 vs the D610 will go toward the D4s. I need the FPS of the D4s more than 24 MP for most of my style of shooting. As for some ISO 12,800 images I'll post some here the day it comes in next week. I'm not expecting ISO 12,800 to be useable above a 4x6 or 5x7 print but even that will make history. ISO @ 4000 useable at 8x10 would be great. Time will tell. At least now we can start a new glass collection...The articulating back, built in wireless, and Expeed 4 processor trumped the D7100 for now.

Post edited by FreezeAction on
    edited February 2014
    Okay, going back to trying to find a proper battery grip. I asked pro master if they could show an image for their power grip on a Nikon D5300. They sent me a link to where I could buy one from their site. :-w
    (seriously)
    Does anybody who own this camera have a battery grip? If so, does yours fit the dimensions of the bottom side of the camera. Is the power grip the same width as the camera. I also asked Big Mike on amazon to see an image of the battery grip on the camera. They showed me one with a battery grip from the earlier models D5100/D5200. The cameras are different sizes from the D5300, and I would like to find one that doesn't jut out past the side of the hdmi port side. The reasons I dont trust Pro Master is because the thumbnail image for the D5300 is the same as the D5100/D5200...
    And I haven't asked Xit on amazon about theirs yet. Someone has to have one that's fabricated perfectly with the camera...(lol)
    Post edited by pizzathief on
    [Nikon D5300][Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II][Tamron AF 75-300mm 1:4-5.6 LD][Tamron SP AF 2x Pro Teleconverter] Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/119130093@N07/
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    edited February 2014
    I suggest that you go ahead and try one meant for either the D5100 or the D5200 as the size difference is just a few mm! Or take a chance on the Promaster one. Or find a store that has them in stock or is willing to order and let you try. You can always return it. Report back and let us know. Someone has to be first ;)
    Post edited by Ironheart on
    edited February 2014
    Here is an ISO 12,800 image taken that is with no edits other than sizing. I shot a RAW+Fine and this is the fine. I used spot focus and metering in the center. Kit 18-140 lens at f5.3 @ 135mm, 1/20 second hand held. I see a slight green cast on the left side of the image with auto white balance. As for noise it is unreal. It's as good as ISO 1000 out of my old 1D Mark II.

12800-test_0003

From the softening I see away from center makes me see a 70-200 in the not to distant future. Rebates will be welcome....
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    I don't think the issue is the lens. Softening like that is often linked to high ISO use. Entry level Nikon DSLR's also apply a set amount of noise reduction in camera, which can also reduce sharpness.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    edited February 2014
    I don't think the issue is the lens. Softening like that is often linked to high ISO use. Entry level Nikon DSLR's also apply a set amount of noise reduction in camera, which can also reduce sharpness.
    Thanks for the feed back. I've never seen it in the old Canon 10D or my brother's Rebel. Another thing about that photo was it's slow shutter speed while being hand held and VR turned off. There were no lights on inside the house with only faint outside light coming through the window curtain from the east while the sun was in the west and it was heavily overcast. There is a green vertical in the curtain and I think that is what caused the green tint to the chair. I've got the zigzag color patter to use for another week or two and will use a tripod with remote release on both lenses and see. All this after I absorb the user's manual. So far I've only found one legitimate grip with Nikon and that is to do with the diopter range. They cut it short compared to what they have in at least most every other body and as what the competition does also. I took another shot of my car outside with VR on @ ISO 4000 which is my target for 8x10 prints and it looked very useable. The next few days I'll be immersing myself in the manual and menu.

They are just trying to sell more diopter adjustment covers for the viewfinder, there must be a surplus ;-)
    edited February 2014
    Still researching battery grips. Waiting for my camera to show up in the mail. Might take it too the closest camera shop (an hours drive).
    Here is the image I recieved from Big Mikes on amazon.
    Clearly you can see that they are using an old battery grip from a D5100, as the box in the background says.
    Also note that the grip is longer in width than the D5300's. As per the second image.
    And here is the response I got from eCostConnection from amazon on their battery grip.
    "Dear Customer,

This battery grip is for all 5100, 5200, and 5300 as they are all the same size battery grip. This battery grip fits perfectly on all 3 cameras. Thank you

Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile"

This just blows my mind...the 5300 is smaller, I wonder if they know that?
    Cropped version. Get an idea of what it's going to be like. I will most likely buy a 3rd party version for now until someone gets the right one built. Unsure why Nikon doesn't have one in their Accessories.
    Ordered the Nikon D5300 last week. Currently trying to find out if my Tamron AF 80-210mm F4.5-5.6 zoom lens will work on this camera. The lens has a built in auto focus motor in the body, so wouldn't that make it work? I know it's an old lens. I used it on my dad's old Pentax MG that I used for years. Eventually early in the 2000's I made a move to a point and shoot Kodak. The zoom lens worked great on the Pentax. Unsure if it's compatible with the d5300. If not, I will likely trade it in for an update zoom lens for the Nikon.
    image :-/ :-/
    I highly doubt a K-mount lens is going to work with the D5300. Even if you got an adapter, it wouldn't auto focus or meter.
    edited February 2014
    Pizza, it seems like the place where the grip is longer (or the camera shorter) is on the left hand side of the camera where the cables connect. The reason Nikon doesn't make grips for entry-level consumer cameras is that there is no bottom connector for the grip to interface with. Ergo, all of the third-party grips for the D5xxx and D3xxx have an external cable that must be connected to the remote shutter release on the left hand side of the camera. This means between the cable and the open cover you have about 15 or 20 extra mm hanging out on the very side that you are worried about 3mm of extra grip size. My point being you can't grab the camera by that side anyway, so why worry about the grip sticking out a few mm. Anyway, just my 2¢
    Post edited by Ironheart on
    edited February 2014
    I ordered the one from Meike, as other enthusiast with D5200 have had good luck with that brand. When I get the parts I will post pictures or make a video on how to install it.
    Another image of the D5300 with a different battery grip.

• sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited February 2014
    rhowen
    Bought the D5300 for a backup to my D800 ....

I need something smaller then my D800 for holidays. How does the IQ compare to the d800 which lens do you use ?

Post edited by sevencrossing on
    edited February 2014
    I'm pretty sure the D800 has better IQ.
    I'm getting the kit lens, 18-55mm VR II from amazon. Currently looking for an entry level zoom lens 70-300mm preferably for starters. Save up to get a better one later on.
  • cashyscashys Posts: 1Member
    Hi guys,

May I ask if my Nikon D5300 is compatible with the Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Macro ?

I mean will I have autofocus with this lens?

Thanks
    It should work, unless a firmware update messes it up.
    Trying to find the WirelessMobilityUtility app on my RCA tablet on the Google play store an it isn't showing up, was it removed??? Are there any alternatives for an app like this? Wanting to be able to transfer files from my camera wireless during photography. Building a mobile hard drive unit with a tablet to transfer files after a photo shoot so if in case something goes wrong with my SD card, images have been transferred to another device while out on the field.
    The camera arrived yesterday. Here's a layout. The one thing that I found odd, was no lens hood. So I ordered a flower lens hood on amazon. Already having fun. Battery grip is en route. The lens hood fits okay, kind of shifty, it locks but it seems to shift just slightly, clacks against the part it sits on sometimes.