What is "Pure photography?"

124»

Comments

• PierrePierre Posts: 360Member
    If there is anything impure then, like any other human endeavour, its to do with lazyness, uncommitted apathy, copying, envy etc. Pure Photography is the level of dedication, self and mindfulness you put into the pursuit of this medium of expression.
    Beautifully said...

• HipShotHipShot Posts: 528Member
    My idea of pure photography is getting up early in the morning to prospect for visual gold.
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    I think of "pure photography" as doubtful. One of the two accepted "inventors" of photography faked his own death. Photography is an application of equipment and the technique and visualization. Somewhere in the mix there may be substantial amounts of talent and artistic creativity involved. When I photograph I think of what I do as mostly documentation and do rarely does any thought of purity or art enter my mind. I do have close friends who do try to be artistic and I for one think they achieve this. Yet as a marketing technique I do think Nikon is not that far out there and they have a right and a reason to market in they way they have. I myself think video should be included in pure photography yet i accept that few would give much credence to that opinion. I can recall still photo sequences of particularly Mudridge (studies in motion of horses, humans, etc.) and Ansel Adams(particularly his wave sequences) which was to me wonderful art and science and Mudridge's motion sequences led to the development of motion pictures.
    My above reference is to Muybridge (Eadweard, English, 1830-1904). I should edit my posts before clicking on Post Comment. I have a limited time I can be on the Internet and that does not help at all. Hipshot's comment is eloquent and makes me realize again why I love taking photos at times. All in all I think Nikon has a pretty good ad campaign here and it should help their sales.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    @DaveyJ

If you see something wrong with your post, look above it and you will see an edit button so you can go back in and change it - no need for a second post.
    Always learning.
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    edited November 2013
    @donald no thank you to DOS computing. Im happy with GUI computing.
    Post edited by Vipmediastar_JZ on
    spraynpray: Thank you! I have forgotten that feature existed!
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    Nearly a year after I stared this thread I think I have my answer

Pure Photography = Pure Nostalgia
  • snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
    Is there any kind of photography that is considered not pure?
    I quite like the idea of doing some impure photography
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    If there is anything impure then, like any other human endeavour, its to do with lazyness, uncommitted apathy, copying, envy etc. Pure Photography is the level of dedication, self and mindfulness you put into the pursuit of this medium of expression.
    Beautifully said...

Cool did I say that ! I must have breathed in few of the fungi I was shooting...

Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited September 2014
    @donald no thank you to DOS computing. Im happy with GUI computing.
    LOL! I have a quite a few GUI windows open at the moment but I also have 3 windows with command prompts blinking at me :-) .

Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Nearly a year after I stared this thread I think I have my answer

Pure Photography = Pure Nostalgia
    That probably should have been fairly obvious sooner from the retro looks of the Df, but yes, to some extent I agree that is part of it because photography has perhaps becomes less 'pure' since it has become possible to change the captured image to such a large extent.
    Always learning.
    Time to turn on the red light, dig out the silver nitrate, pot iodide, pot brom and hyposulphite of soda and all those Patterson gadgets that littered the darkroom
    According to wikipedia: Pure photography is defined as possessing no qualities of technique, composition or idea, derivative of any other art form.
  • haroldpharoldp Posts: 984Member
    According to wikipedia: Pure photography is defined as possessing no qualities of technique, composition or idea, derivative of any other art form.
    Loose translation, there is no such thing.

Most of what we call photography is derivative of the 'realistic' style of paintings. Painters in the late renaissance even used optics to project an image onto canvas or other media and paint over it, acting as emulsion or sensor.

I am sure they were accused of 'impure' painting.

... H
    D810, D3x, 14-24/2.8, 50/1.4D, 24-70/2.8, 24-120/4 VR, 70-200/2.8 VR1, 80-400 G, 200-400/4 VR1, 400/2.8 ED VR G, 105/2 DC, 17-55/2.8.
    Nikon N90s, F100, F, lots of Leica M digital and film stuff.

v

I am sure they were accused of 'impure' painting.

... H
    Vermeer was indeed accused of photoshopping "Girl with a pearl earring"

• Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    What is Pure Photography? Camera+Lens+Light=Pure photography. I'm not sure that Zack Arias video represents that but I do tend to have too much noise in my head right now but I plan to change that starting today.

I really enjoyed this video
    Loose translation, there is no such thing.
    I am not sure what you mean but here is the link if you want to read more about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straight_photography
  • WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    What is Pure Photography? Camera+Lens+Light=Pure photography. I'm not sure that Zack Arias video represents that but I do tend to have too much noise in my head right now but I plan to change that starting today.

I really enjoyed this video
    Bravo!!!