A new Sensor Cleaning Tool -- for the public

13»

Comments

• donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,702Member
    I have cleaned my senors many times on many bodies. It seems rather easy to do.
  • IanGIanG Posts: 106Member
    It IS easy - this is not rocket science. I wait for a blue sky (which is why I only clean my sensors once a year...) and strap on the widest angle I have, f/22 and inspect the image.

A few drops of Eclipse on a sensor swab - one pass, turn swab, second pass. wait a few seconds for the Eclipse to evaporate, close the shutter and go out to take another test shot.

I do sometimes have to repeat this once or twice, but frankly it's worth it, and I've never had a mark on a sensor from the swabs etc.

The hardest thing is waiting for the blue sky...
    Cameras, lenses and stuff. (I actually met someone once who had touched a real Leica lens cloth.)
  • MegapixelSchnitzelMegapixelSchnitzel Posts: 185Member
    edited March 2017
    Cleaning a sensor is something that terrifies me. Something about bumping the on/off switch and closing the shutter right on the gel stick. Or some other mishap of that nature.
    Post edited by MegapixelSchnitzel on
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Don't bump the on/off switch.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
  • SnowleopardSnowleopard Posts: 244Member
    I was able to get one of these tools shipped to me last week after trying like 6 sites that told me they won't ship them to the US from Europe. The paper is another story, I can't find a supplier.

I have not tried the tool yet, but I am fairly certain I will like it better than the sensor brush.
    ||COOLPIX 5000|●|D70|●|D700|●|D810|●|AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED|●|AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D|●|AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D|●|AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G|●|AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D|●|AF-S Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED|●|AF-S VR Zoom-NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED (Silver)|●|AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III|●|PB-6 Bellows|●|EL-NIKKOR 50mm f/2.8||
  • KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
    I am actually doing sensor cleans semi-professionally now, and the glue-stick is my go-to tool for the initial dust cleaning. Only if that doesn't get rid of the spots, will I do a wet-clean.
    Where are you, Killerbob?
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited March 2017

I was able to get one of these tools shipped to me last week after trying like 6 sites that told me they won't ship them to the US from Europe. The paper is another story, I can't find a supplier.

I have not tried the tool yet, but I am fairly certain I will like it better than the sensor brush.

Photography Life is the North American exclusive supplier of the official gel sticks and paper.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • dissentdissent Posts: 1,341Member
    Yeah, I just recently wet cleaned sensors on both of my Nikons. First time having tried it and it was remarkably easy. I'd put it off and put it off, afraid that I'd screw something up. The only thing that happened was that now the sensors are clean.

Won't wait so long again. The D7100 was way (way,way) overdue. Got one of the Eyelead Gel sticks too, but haven't tried it yet.
    - Ian . . . [D7000, D7100; Nikon glass: 35 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 70-300 VR, 105 f2.8 VR, 12-24 f4; 16-85 VR, 300 f4D, 14E-II TC, SB-400, SB-700 . . . and still plenty of ignorance]
  • KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member

Where are you, Killerbob?

I live in Greenland:)
    Bummer. I was hoping you'd say, "Oh, right in Sacramento."