Nikon D3300 Discussion

13»

Comments

• DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    cheri7 OWNS the D3300 now and considered the D7100 and others....finally picked the the D3300 based on size and quality. She owned the D90 and the 18-105 Nikkor and now owns the D3300 and the kit lens and the 55-300VR. I own the D90 and 18-105VR and and the D3200 with kit lens (fantastic for the cost) and the 18-300VR and consider it a BIG step up from the D90, on video it is FAR superior. I am sure that Nikon has a market in this D3300 size and attributes that is great for consumers and enthusiasts like here. Owning D7100 (still my FAVORITE camera) I use the D3200 more than the D7100, and the D90 is now on nearly permanent loan to my youngest grandson and he is catching and releasing pretty big sharks and it is my chance to see the released fish. Too me this is all a win-win situation. Finally there ARE buyers who are very attracted to D3300 red bodies which are in my opinion quite handsome. Who knows hummingbirds might be quick to check that out?
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    Nice review on C-Net.

"If you're looking for a competent but inexpensive general-purpose first dSLR, the D3300 is a fine choice."
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • frangojonesfrangojones Posts: 1Member
    Personal, Hello good day! I am already nikon user for a long time .. These days I bought a D3300 to use while traveling, by its weight and practicality. I liked the camera, but there is something that is puzzling me. When I turn on live view, the internal engine of VR binds and gives to hear the noise in the footage. I make it clear that the VR is turned off. 've Got another lens on the distributor and the "problem" persists. Will be a regular feature of the camera or the lens 02 are defective? Someone who has the camera has the same "problem"? Thank you.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Welcome to the NR forum frangojones.

You sure it isn't auto focus noise? Try turning AF off and see if it goes away.
    Always learning.
  • CaMeRaQuEsTCaMeRaQuEsT Posts: 357Member
    Here are my impressions after 6 months with the D3300 (the longest I've kept a Nikon DX body to date!) :

Likes: really lightweight body, simple interface (compared to Nikon's D5x00 and D7x00), fast response time (compared to the D7100, D3200 and D5200), Nikon's best 1080p50/60 image quality in a DX body (bar maybe the D5300 and D5500, and then shouldn't be by much), sharp, detailed pictures that can be heavily croped, Nikon's only DSLR with Easy Panorama (haven't used it yet, but good to know it's there), so inexpensive I don't need to care much about breaking or loosing it, as long as there is no expensive glass attached to it.

Dislikes: really shallow buffer when shooting RAW+JPEG, when shooting stills through viewfinder it doesn't nail focus, exposure or WB as often as the D7100 or even the D5200, really sluggish LV stills shooting (this is a common dislike on every Nikon DSLR), non adjustable Active D-Lighting's effect not strong enough, no bracketing of any kind (and thus no HDR), lack of 14bit and lossless RAW, not small enough (compared to the Canon Rebel SL1/100D), images shown on its 3 inch 4:3 format LCD really diminutive (all Nikon DSLRs shoot 3:2 but they insist on using 4:3 screens), no ISO readout on viewfinder, thumb rest too small (I keep accidentally hitting the D pad), sometimes you long for the up-level models' bells and whistles, but overall no real big problems I cannot work around or that might keep me from taking a picture or video.

Verdict: This is the best bang for the buck HD DSLR in the market, a really underrated camera that nobody seems to take seriously, you need to pay at least 5 times more to get better video performance and sharper stills, this one is a keeper!
  • KnockKnockKnockKnock Posts: 398Member
    I'm still a big fan of this body style. My brother got a D40 a decade ago (?). I still have my D60 and love how light it is, yet it maintains a functional grip, is comfy to shoot with and gives beautiful pictures. Am tempted to update it for new sensor and AF. BUT.

I have become spoiled by a few things and it makes me sneeze when I try to move back to the simpler interface. Small viewfinder. Missing button for AF control. Menu diving for Picture Control and WB. That's about it. I don't miss the ISO button that much with the new auto-ISO system. The new sensors are so forgiving I could almost do without bracketing.

If a D3400 has a slightly bigger viewfinder and touchscreen access to PC, WB, that'd probably be my backup small body. I use an old Sony RX100 when I need portability, but it just makes my skin crawl sometimes.
    D7100, D60, 35mm f/1.8 DX, 50mm f/1.4, 18-105mm DX, 18-55mm VR II, Sony RX-100 ii
  • CaMeRaQuEsTCaMeRaQuEsT Posts: 357Member
    edited March 2015
    I have become spoiled by a few things and it makes me sneeze when I try to move back to the simpler interface. Small viewfinder. Missing button for AF control. Menu diving for Picture Control and WB. That's about it. I don't miss the ISO button that much with the new auto-ISO system. The new sensors are so forgiving I could almost do without bracketing.
    I forgot to mention that the D3300 has a nicely improved viewfinder that's larger than all its previous iterations or than those found in the D5x00 series, still not as big or bright as those in the D7x00 series though. Yes, it's very annoying to have to dive deep into the menus for basic thinks like Auto ISO and subsets of WB adjustments, Nikon should re-arrange some of the items within the i menu to ease access to many of these often changed adjustments.
    Post edited by CaMeRaQuEsT on