What happens when you send a camera to Nikon for Repair

15678911»

Comments

• daveznspacedaveznspace Posts: 114Member
    1. Cleaning the sensor yourself is almost too easy and much, much cheaper than sending in.

I've had several camera's sent in and here is the best and the worst.

1. Best: D7000 needed new shutter after about 180k, they quoted me around $230-250 and would take at least 3 weeks. I sent it in with a note telling them to notify me when the repair was to start so I could transfer money to the card I gave them. # days after sending I got an email saying they'd received it (NY), the 4th day they called me saying my card had been declined. The lady was very polite and I told her I'd put a note in there about the payment which she in fact found and apologized for and I told her no worries but give me 2 minutes to transfer money (online card, I don't keep money in it until I need it), she said just hold on a second.... I transferred the money while on hold. She came back on and I told her I'd transferred the money and she said: "no need, we're going to go ahead and take care of this for you you no charge as a little thanks for being a great Nikon customer". The next day it showed up at my house, they'd overnighted it n/c.

2. worst: my D750 has some sensor issues and they told me several times they'd fix it but the wait was extremely long at the moment and if I could to hold off a bit before sending it in. By the time I was ready and they were ready they decided that they'd no longer honor their offer to fix it for free... which kinda pissed me off.
  • KnockKnockKnockKnock Posts: 372Member
    I noticed my medium primes were having a hard time focusing at various distances. I had played with AF Fine Tune last fall using rulers, post-its, paper clips and blades of grass. Couldn't quite nail it consistently. Sure I could get my 50 to focus 3-4-ft, or a different storeed calibration at 15-ft, but it's a pain to jump back and forth. Same for the 85. Zooms didn't notice much because they're the AF-P slow aperture ones that I always shoot at f/8.

Led me to start shooting in Live View a lot more, where everything was sharp. But I chewed through batteries! I didn't want to invest in a test kit and OCD time. So this Spring I dropped stuff off at the Nikon shop in LA (helps that I work about 15 minutes away).

My 85mm f/1.8 G cost $80. Same for the 50mm f/1.4 G. Camera cost $160. Done within a week. I can't remember which, but the corrections were significant in all different directions. One lens back-focusing, the other front-focusing, and the sensor was out of alignment one way or another making all focus difficult. Didn't plan on spending that much, but overall I'm happy. They cleaned everything (including sensor) as part of the service.

Things are popping now they way the weren't before. Visited the Getty, and it was nailing both close and far subjects in focus, shooting wide open. The 85 was especially fun. Close up flowers & architectural details, full body portraits 20 feet away.

Just FYI.

D7100 - not banged around a ton or anything, but well used at this point: shutter count ~20K.

D7100, D60, 35mm f/1.8 DX, 50mm f/1.4, 18-105mm DX, 18-55mm VR II, Sony RX-100 ii
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 4,583Member
    Thanks for sharing KnockKnock about the AF Fine Tuning. Money well spent.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • SymphoticSymphotic Posts: 639Member

Things are popping now they way the weren't before. Visited the Getty, and it was nailing both close and far subjects in focus, shooting wide open. The 85 was especially fun. Close up flowers & architectural details, full body portraits 20 feet away.

Love the Getty. Just up the street from the Nikon Service Center!
    Jack Roberts
    "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought"--Albert Szent-Gyorgy
  • Out_of_FocusOut_of_Focus Posts: 5Member
    Has anyone sent older AI/AI-S lenses to Nikon for repair? Or do they only service current models?
    If Nikon wont take them, any recommendations in NYC (or tristate area)?
    Thanks!
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,005Member
    Your best best is to call Nikon and find out. Some units, like the 50mm F1.2 AIS were still for sale not all that long ago (less than 10 years ago), so it might depend on what lens you want serviced.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • cashreedharcashreedhar Posts: 5Member
    edited August 20
    Nikon still services some of the AIS mount lenses. Click on the link below and you can see if your lens is listed (manual lenses are at the bottom of the dropdown list)
    https://repair.nikonusa.com/en/ProductEntry

Also, Royal Camera Service based in IL has very good reviews and they're on top of feedback. They have postal repair service if you look up
    Post edited by cashreedhar on