What happens when you send a camera to Nikon for Repair

Comments

• eric8258eric8258 Posts: 1Member
    Just sent in my D800 for focusing tuning. All of my lenses are dead on sharp on D7000, but are soft on D800 (need to AF fine-tune -17~19 on all of them) I guess this is some QC problem on the early D800s... :(

5/29 Sent from Berkeley via USPS
    6/1 11am Delivered by USPS to Nikon USA Los Angeles service center
    6/2 haven't heard back from Nikon

They still do not update their website frequently...
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Question @eric8258 - if you don't mind, how much did it cost per lens for them to preform the focus fine tuning?
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • amvjamvj Posts: 65Member
    I got the ON / OFF switch replaced on my D7000. Now it is not having the original feel. The smooth on / off click operation is now gone. Looks like the technician is not having much knowledge on the installation.

From now, I will not take it to the sea unnecessarily. It is not the money that matters but it is the time that they take to service it. It is not good.
    My D7000's ON / OFF switch is not functioning properly. I went to Nikon service center in Chennai, India. They said the underlying part of the switch is corroded by salt, probably due to sea water (spray). I usually take lot of sea photos and I was surprised that the weather sealing on D7000 is not that effective.

My camera was with them for 3 weeks and they said the part needs to be procured from Nikon Japan and it is still not arrived. I got annoyed and brought my camera back. The service center guys said they will call me once the part arrive. Keeping fingers crossed.

Since its not in warranty I paid Rs: 2200 INR for inspection charges etc. Once the part is available I have to pay Rs: 600 INR to replace.
    flickr.com/gokul-amvj
  • picturetedpictureted Posts: 153Member
    I made the mistake of using a DR-5 on my D810. Unfortunately the camera is designed so that the DR-5 becomes a handy lever to rip off the viewfinder eyepiece. I barely bumped it and a tiny piece of plastic broke and the viewfinder was gone with the DR-5. I sent it to Nikon LA - $135 overnight/insured. Nikon received the camera on May 29 and advised $236.50 for repair. I reluctantly OK's it. Then it showed up as parts hold.

I called Nikon and they told me they would let me know how long it would take. I was told I would hear back that day or the next. I didn't.

Be warned not to attach anything to that finder except the eyepiece - it's very poorly made.
    pictureted at flickr
    Wiha 261-PH000 x 40
    pictureted at flickr
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    @pictureted: Be sure to show the details of the bill when you get it - it will be interesting to see how they make it $236.50.
    Always learning.
    It will be for the whole eyepiece assembly. That round thread for your eyepiece is part of a plastic piece that screws on top (through broken hole shown above) and then is slipped inside the body at the bottom. There are small copper strips for electrical connection and as springs on its sides. I would imagine it costs a few dollars to make. If the part hadn't broken, I could have reassembled in a minute (that one screw).
    pictureted at flickr
    I had an extended discussion with a Nikon Service supervisor. She took all info regarding my D810 concerns and assured me she would look into it further. Regarding the repair of my camera she indicated she would look into that too and get back to me.

She call less than 1 hour later to let me know my camera would ship out today. Thanks Nikon - that was excellent customer service!
    pictureted at flickr
  • danhowldanhowl Posts: 36Member
    Interesting, I just sent my D810 in for a similar issue. In my case, nothing actually broke but the whole plate that contains the eyepiece threads now comes off easily. I was also using the DR-5 right-angle finder. Never had that kind of problem with the D3X after a couple years of regular use (with the DR-5). Have only had the D810 since Feb. Was tempted to just crazy glue the part back on, but I figure that would cause more problems down the road. They should get it at NPS tomorrow.
    D3X, D800, 17-35, 28-70, Zeiss 55mm OTUS, 85mm Zeiss CF.2, 85mm PCE, 70-200 VRII, 105DC
    Under warranty or not @danhowl? Looks like a weakness to me.
    Always learning.
  • d_clarkd_clark Posts: 1Member
    New here, but thought I would detail my experience with Nikon Service.

I purchased a factory refurbished D7100 on April 17th, received it about a week later. From the start, a battery left in the camera would be completely discharged in 8-10hours. I charged the Nikon battery using the provided Nikon charger several times over the first week, and the battery would drain completely. Camera was turned off, viewfinder, and LCDs are not displaying anything.

I sent it to back to Nikon for repair, they had it around 10 days and annotated they replaced the DC/DC converter, and cleaned the sensor. Unfortunately, it came back with the exact same issue. I have since shipped the camera back to Nikon for a second attempt at repair.

Hopefully, they can figure out what the issue is and fix it the second time around.
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    edited July 2016
    I just dropped the D810, well actually I didn't confirm the tripod legs were fully locked in and as soon as I walked away it tipped over and it fell about 4ft. Looks like the lens took a hit and maybe the ballhead too. So far the only damage or issue I found was the Focusing is off. At -20 it starts to get better. I re-seated the focusing screen a few times but I'm afraid I will have to send it in for an evaluation. The lens that was on the camera looks fine minus the scuff mark. It works great on another camera.

If I use it in live-view mode no focus issues. Unfortunately this will not be acceptable.
    Post edited by Vipmediastar_JZ on
  • RaymondRaymond Posts: 3Member
    Sharing my experience with Nikon Canada this week.

I dropped off my D4 to Nikon Canada in Mississauga on Monday. The camera has 400,000 clicks, the bottom cover was so worn out there are paint bald spots everywhere around all buttons (so I used touch up paint to cover the spots but the whole cover looks ugly), plus the focus was not working well on fast moving objects.

I asked Nikon to do 4 things: check and fix the focus, replace the shutter, replace the control buttons on the back, and replace the bottom cover. Simple, right?

I got a call back on my phone within an hour, and the lady said they can't fix places where I had painted over, they can't replace the battery cover door, and they can't replace the top cover.

But then I told her to check my written service receipt, I did not ask for the top cover or the battery door cover to be replaced. The bottom cover I did ask to be replaced for cosmetic reasons but then she said the cover is not broken and they can't fix something that is not broken.

I received an email shortly to confirm Nikon had received my camera, the notes said basically the same thing, to replace the Top cover and battery door, etc, so I wrote a reply to clarify. Someone wrote back to thank me for my clarification.

A day later I received the estimate, $459 to clean and to readjust the focus and it also says no problem was found with the shutter and does not need repair, and in bold "don't repair cosmetic damages". Nothing was mentioned about replacing the shutter, and really, $459 to clean readjust focus?

Called Nikon back, explained to the lady once more that my camera has 400,000 clicks and I would like to replace the shutter during down time so I don't run into problems when comes the busy times. She made it a point to mention again that they don't repair painted cosmetic areas and they won't replace my bottom cover.

Ok, I got it, get off the cosmetic stuff, and how about focus on fixing the main areas the customer had asked for, like replacing the shutter.

Updated status I got this morning: "FOR RE-ESTIMATE RADJUST AF , SHUTTER IS OKAY CLEAN & CHECK OVER HAUL, DON'T REPAIR COSMETIC DAMAGES". Cost of this $847.49.

So are they replacing my shutter, and what exactly are they doing to fix the AF for $847.49? If they don't repair cosmetic damages, why bother mentioning it again and again in the order?

Called Nikon again, the lady says the shutter will be replaced, but they don't actually know what is the problem with the AF until the technician has the camera, and the estimate was just to get the camera in and they will determine the cause of the problem then. The estimate will cover whatever is required to fix the problem.

I guess I am just used to people only giving me estimates when they have diagnosed the problem and know which part to fix/replace. Nikon apparently works differently.

Updates to follow.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,745Member
    I have had a similar, though less stressful experience. Someone at Nikon has an initial look at the camera and makes a prediction. They then quote, get you to sign off, then put it in the repair chain. If it turns out to be a bigger problem, they honour the lower price. I had my mirror box replace in my D800 with over 250,000 clicks.
  • kanuckkanuck Posts: 1,300Member
    edited July 2016

I have had a similar, though less stressful experience. Someone at Nikon has an initial look at the camera and makes a prediction. They then quote, get you to sign off, then put it in the repair chain. If it turns out to be a bigger problem, they honour the lower price. I had my mirror box replace in my D800 with over 250,000 clicks.

Just curious, how much did that set you back WestEndFoto if you don't mind me asking with shipping included?
    Post edited by kanuck on
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,745Member
    I think that the mirror box was a little less than $300. There was also a focus issue with my D lenses that was camera related. Not quite sure exactly what but the final bill came to a little less than $500. Additionally, I dropped my 50mm 1.4G on concrete from about a metre high. I can tell you that they bounce really well - like a tennis ball. That cost about $250.00 - I was disappointed in this - I was hoping that they would tell me it was a write off which would have given me an excuse to buy the 58.

I can tell you that their repair descriptions are cryptic. Written in some sort of Nikon shorthand.
  • retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    Replacing the mirror box cleaning and adjust a bunch of stuff was $160 on my D5100. Replacing the whole front of my D500 cleaning and adjusting almost everything $360.

5100 was knocked from my hand when a grandson ran into me. D500 fell from a shelf about 4 feet in a soft holster and tore the lens mount from the camera. Lens and the battery grip were undamaged. My insurance covered both.

Both fixed by Nikon in California. Both had to wait for parts it took abut 6 weeks for the D5100 an a little less for the D500. I was surprised they could get parts that fast for the D500 as it is new enough I was afraid all the parts were used in producing new cameras. You are not supposed to break an new one.
  • MecubigMecubig Posts: 7Member
    I am new here just sent my d800 for service because it off focus on viewfinder so far both default and saved in fine tune set for -20 -20 most lens still not got it or just Beally got it . On manual focus if I turn to > then it focus ok then if I turn to o from this ( > o < ) indicator in viewfinder , but if I used live view then it perfomed the focus sharp ok , they has been recieved my camera a couple days all ready still not hear any thing from service center yet . Any one know usually how long they take ? I am not even can login . To see the status , just cross my fingers
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    I had a problem with a D810 Video button, Contacted Nikon Uk and they sent a courier to collect the camera the next day FOC.
    Now thats what I call service !!
    Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits
  • dissentdissent Posts: 1,344Member
    Taking my first plunge with Nikon Service. Had my 12-24 on the D7000; they both took a couple foot tumble while I carelessly removed my camera bag from the car seat. The heavy lens hit the ground first. Smashed the filter on the front but no other glass seemed damaged. Seemed like the focus was rotating stiff.

So I sent it in (Melville, NY). Tracking says it arrived on 7/15. Still haven't heard boo from Nikon; no acknowledgement that it arrived or what current status is.
    - Ian . . . [D7000, D7100; Nikon glass: 35 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 70-300 VR, 105 f2.8 VR, 12-24 f4; 16-85 VR, 300 f4D, 14E-II TC, SB-400, SB-700 . . . and still plenty of ignorance]
  • SymphoticSymphotic Posts: 711Member

I just dropped the D810, well actually I didn't confirm the tripod legs were fully locked in and as soon as I walked away it tipped over and it fell about 4ft. .....

I hate it when that happens. I knocked over my D800 from on top of a rig for photographing narrow scene below. It fell 10 feet with the 70-200 on it, landing flat on the back and driving the 70-200 into the camera. The lens could be repaired. The camera not. Let me know if you need a D800 for parts...
    Jack Roberts
    "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought"--Albert Szent-Gyorgy
    My bad. I did get an email from Nikon in NY, but it went directly to my junk email folder. Found it just now while clearing it out.
    - Ian . . . [D7000, D7100; Nikon glass: 35 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 70-300 VR, 105 f2.8 VR, 12-24 f4; 16-85 VR, 300 f4D, 14E-II TC, SB-400, SB-700 . . . and still plenty of ignorance]
    dissent said:

My bad. I did get an email from Nikon in NY, but it went directly to my junk email folder. Found it just now while clearing it out.</blocWhat was the date and what did they say Ian?

Always learning.
    It was sent on 21 July, I think; day after I had called them asking for status. Not much in the way of details describing what they actually need to do to fix my particular "dropped lens". I guess I'll call them; I'd like a little more info before I lay out my 400 bucks.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Historically, dissent, there is more information on the paper work when you get the equipment back. If not, give them a call.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |