Nikon not worried by 3rd Party Lenses..Why ?

2»

Comments

• IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    I wonder where the "quote" came from. Do we have a source for this?
    It is in his post.
    I guess I can't read then as I see no quote about Nikon not being worried other than the title of this thread. I guess I'll go hang out on the D400 thread for some real news :P
  • WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    I wonder where the "quote" came from. Do we have a source for this?
    It is in his post.
    I guess I can't read then as I see no quote about Nikon not being worried other than the title of this thread. I guess I'll go hang out on the D400 thread for some real news :P
    Oh, that quote! I thought you were talking about the other quote. If you go backwards from your post (3 posts), the first reference to "quote" is in relation to TTJ's post.
  • JuergenJuergen Posts: 315Member

Now I am looking at a 150-500 Sigma that has ratings that are very good. I just can't afford the new Nikon 80-400 VR.
    I have the 150-500 and I am not pleased at all with it. It is very creamy when shot open.
    Jürgen
    D4, D800E, Nikon 1 J2, 600 f/4, trinity, PC-E 45, PC-E 24, 105, 50 f/1,8g, 85 f/1,4, Sigma 150-500
  • birdmanbirdman Posts: 115Member
    Of course they "get worried" depending on your definition. Why would they have released the 35/1.8FX ? To replace the 35mm/2.0 (??) I think not.

When things get interesting is if the Tokina 24-70/2.8 (to be released), and the Sigma 24-70/2.0 OS (also to be released) either match or outperform their own respective lenses -- regardless of a major difference in price. We EXPECT 3rd party lenses to be cheaper, based on history. But what happens when these are the PREFERRED TOOLS of professionals ? So....if that ever happens, which is highly unlikely for the majority of lenses due to economies of scale.....will a better lens demand higher price (aka Sigma, Tokina)??
  • So....if that ever happens, which is highly unlikely for the majority of lenses due to economies of scale.....will a better lens demand higher price (aka Sigma, Tokina)??
    If they make great lenses that work, people will pay higher prices, too, I'd say. I.e. if the 50mm Art is what they claim it to be, then it's simply better than anything else that's available. Same goes for that 1.8 DX Zoom, or the 24-70/2.0. There's always something that makes it slightly different/better. Their strategy is quite interesting.

Let's see where this goes.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,444Member
    Sadly many people only read what they want not what i wrote ....I had no problems with autofocus on the D7100 with sigma lens the problem was with the LCD display as I said earlier ..would not go below a 60 sec ON time in any mode. this runs down the battery very fast..Same on both 7100 and two different sigma lenses..Nikon are subtle they dont stop it working you get annoying malfunctions in other areas ..like the Neewer grip that will only discharge the camera battery first and reads the shot count on the grip battery ...No more sigma for me.
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    the problem was with the LCD display as I said earlier ..would not go below a 60 sec ON time in any mode.
    Can you tell me exactly what you mean by LCD timers? Do you mean that the LCD will light up for image review after shooting and stay on for 60 seconds? Sorry for the stupid questions as I never shoot with the LCD, just trying to understand what you are talking about.

Interested in testing the Sigma and the 7100 to see if I can reproduce this.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,444Member
    edited February 2014
    Get up to speed everyone the quote on 3RD party is from the Nikon CEO at the recent CP+ exhibiton in
    Japan .
    Thats it the lcd in preview or menu etc will not go on below 60 sec....Now I dont chimp on a regular basis but when the light is difficult in a church I look to see if it can be pulled up etc ..I usually have it on 4 sec ..no time to mess with buttons etc did this with Sigma 18-200 and a new 18-250 ..both sold and problem gone with Nikon 18-140. ( and a much better sharper picture ..read your DXO !!! )
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Here is the actual question and quote:
    How much business do you lose to third-party lens manufacturers?

Not a significant amount, we believe. NIKKOR lenses are good value, even though the price is higher. 

Which has nothing to do with being worried or not.
    Here is the actual question and quote:
    How much business do you lose to third-party lens manufacturers?

Not a significant amount, we believe. NIKKOR lenses are good value, even though the price is higher. 

Which has nothing to do with being worried or not.
    I agree. Not sure what Pistnbroke is complaining about. There are trade offs to using 3rd party lenses. I think if we could afford to, we would all buy Nikkor lenses. It's Nikon's ridiculously high pricing - something they acknowledge they do on purpose - that drives people to look at 3rd party alternatives.
  • shawninoshawnino Posts: 453Member
    I think Zeiss glass stands on its own.
    I think Sigma's new 35 and 120-300 stand on their own.
    I think Tokina's 11-16 DX and 16-28 stand on their own.
    If the MTF charts are legit, the new Tamron 150-600 will be just fine.
    Anybody who is thinking hard enough about getting a tilt-shift will have to at least consider a Schneider.

Nikon can't admit to being worried, but if I were Nikon, I would be.
    I think Zeiss glass stands on its own.
    I think Sigma's new 35 and 120-300 stand on their own.
    I think Tokina's 11-16 DX and 16-28 stand on their own.
    If the MTF charts are legit, the new Tamron 150-600 will be just fine.
    Anybody who is thinking hard enough about getting a tilt-shift will have to at least consider a Schneider.

Nikon can't admit to being worried, but if I were Nikon, I would be.
    I think that you make a valid point, though a lens needs more than sharpness to stand on its own for me.

For example, I would not give up the bokeh of the 58mm for more sharpness at 1.4 - though Pitchblack might and if so I understand why. However, I think that this is more of an issue with some manufacturers than others. I would love a Schneider Tilt Shift.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    Do people choose lenses solely based on MTF charts ?
    nether MTF charts or DoX marks seem to show VR, AF or build quality
    Nikon seem pretty good at all three
    edited February 2014
    Or CA, SA, bokeh, colour, transmission, contrast, manual focus feel etc.

What else have I forgotten?
    Post edited by WestEndBoy on
  • shawninoshawnino Posts: 453Member
    Not claiming anybody chooses lenses on sharpness/MTF charts alone.

Am claiming that, five years ago, a lot of people pooh-poohed Sigma, Tamron, Tokina out of hand--and that today you can't.

No idea where they are in their development, or where they'll turn up, but Samyang headed down the AF road.

Collectively, Nikon runs the risk of competitors eating much of the mid-level/high-end lens lunch.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    Just a thought

does any one make third party lens for Nikon 1 ( without an adaptor)

What would happen if Nikon brought out a new patented mirrorless mount fro FX and or DX ?
    Or CA, SA, bokeh, colour, transmission, contrast, manual focus feel etc.

What else have I forgotten?
    Size, weight, cost and maybe color (LOL).

There is an interesting article today by Thom on the Canikon legacy and basically rips into them for ignoring the crop sensor lens market. I've always said the last bastion for DSLRs is in Telephoto lenses as shooting telephoto action handheld with a mirrorless viewfinder is difficult. Thom acknowledges this point, but suggests that the D800 wipes the competition in landscape shooting....which I disagree with now that Sony's A7R is out.
    I am (in)patiently waiting for Sigma to release ART series primes in telephoto lengths and ramping up the hurt on Canikon.

http://www.dslrbodies.com/newsviews/why-legacy-is-so-tough-to.html