Nikon D800s All Discussions

GarethGareth Posts: 159Member
edited March 2014 in Nikon DSLR cameras
Let's do dis, cos we always do dis, yeeaaaahhhhh, boooeeeeeeey.

Haven't bought a D800, might buy the D800s if it fits the bill. I really need a second body after selling my D300s a while back.

So what are people's realistic expectations of the D800s?

The D4s offers (over the D4)

Expeed 4
Higher fps
More movie frame rates
An AF group mode

I think we can assume a D800s would also offer all of these things.
Post edited by Msmoto on
Tagged:

Comments

• sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited February 2014
    lets hope so
    but I will be quick before this thread gets closed Only Nikon know when the D800 will be "upgraded" but my guess is it will be in a year or twos time also expect a price rise.
    remember the D800 is built for quality not speed
    Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    damitchey asked so, I reopened this thread.
    106.69.202.75 Posts: 1Member
    I'm looking to go FF and have been lusting over the D800 but now after rumors of the D800X I think I'll have to wait for the new release and possible price drop of the D800 or getting enticed by the new D800X. Any one have any rough ideas/ thoughts as to when we would be able to expect it??.. I.. Must... Buy... Something... Soon..
    Msmoto, mod
    edited March 2014
    You may be waiting a long time for a D800 replacement. I would suggest you check the major suppliers and especially our sponsors on NRF and you will get the latest on pricing. The Buying Guide can also be useful.

http://nikonrumors.com/prices/
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
    edited March 2014
    now after rumors of the D800X I think I'll have to wait for the new release and possible price drop of the D800 or getting enticed by the new D800X.

There has been a substantial price drop in the D800 since its first release
    I don't think there was much of a price drop of the D4 prior to its replacement by the D4s
    my D800 paid for it's self, in the first month
    the D800 has only one weakness, fps.
    If fps is important to you they yes I suggest you wait
    other wise don't delay, buy one today and enjoy one of, if not the, best cameras in the world
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    <I believe that just after over 2 years of production Nikon are well on with it's successor, Nikon does not stand still and I am sure its replacement will have substantial improvements After all the D800, has to be the best value for money Nikon ever produced.
    Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits
  • henrik1963henrik1963 Posts: 567Member
    Rant: if you live in the EU dont wait for the D800 follow up - here is why:

Nikon DF: US price: $3,000 - EU price: $4,500
    Nikon 1 V3: US price: $1,200 - EU price: $1,800
    New Nikon D800: US price: $4,000 - EU price: $6,000

I dont know why Nikon wants 50% more in the EU. If this continues my next camera will not be a Nikon.

Rantmode off
  • snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
    @henrik1963: In Sweden a D800 costs around 3000 USD (21000 SEK) and that is with tax included. Or do you mean that you expect the D800 replacement to cost 6000 USD?

As I wrote somewhere before my top wish for the D800 replacement is to have a better button for switching the number of focus points. I also would like the camera to be a little faster and have a bigger buffer. Otherwise it is pretty much excellent as it is.
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    What is the tax rate or amount applied to Nikon cameras in countries where they are more expensive than they are in the US?

Just wondering if the increased price is really Nikon increasing the price or simply a higher tax added to the US equivalent price?
    @snakebunk: My D800 was $3,000 just like in the US - Preorder price. Since then Nikon has gone mad
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    henrik1963, In the EU retail sellers usually advertise prices including all Taxes, In the US this is not always the case.
    Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits
    @paulr: Tax is not 50% in Denmark, Sweden, England or Germany.

Price for Nikon 1 V2 is still north of $1,000 here - you never see one in the wild here. Most use Canon here :-)
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    edited March 2014
    In UK just paid equivalent of $3000 well not really paid $600 deposit then Nikon sent me $300 back AFTER A 3 MONTH WAIT then I pay just $120 a month. Worst most disapointing camera I ever bought in 30 years of owning Nikon ...Noisy,bad menus..nothing about it impresses me ..sorry horrible thing.
    so I wish for better U1 U2 type memories and a nice quiet shutter.
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
  • TaoTeJaredTaoTeJared Posts: 1,306Member
    now after rumors of the D800X I think I'll have to wait for the new release and possible price drop of the D800 or getting enticed by the new D800X.

There has been a substantial price drop in the D800 since its first release
    I don't think there was much of a price drop of the D4 prior to its replacement by the D4s
    Nikon is matching Canon with their 5d mk3 price drops. If you have watched the prices on those bodies, they continually drop substantially over the years even into the next version release.

I'm not fully convinced that the D800 will get a refresh at all. Canon doesn't do a mid-cycle refresh of the 5D series and I do not see Nikon doing one either. Nikon and Canon match each other. Both are about 2 years away for a next gen update.

The list would be very small for updates and I can't see the "real" need for it. The D"x" pro always gets a mid cycle refresh. No other system has the whole package of the D800 with resolution and performance. Considering the cost of releasing a new body and Nikon's financials, I don't see why they would go through that much of expense for not much gain either.
    D800, D300, D50(ir converted), FujiX100, Canon G11, Olympus TG2. Nikon lenses - 24mm 2.8, 35mm 1.8, (5 in all)50mm, 60mm, 85mm 1.8, 105vr, 105 f2.5, 180mm 2.8, 70-200vr1, 24-120vr f4. Tokina 12-24mm, 16-28mm, 28-70mm (angenieux design), 300mm f2.8. Sigma 15mm fisheye. Voigtlander R2 (olive) & R2a, Voigt 35mm 2.5, Zeiss 50mm f/2, Leica 90mm f/4. I know I missed something...
  • snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
    I've never tried the U1, U2 feature but it sounds nice. I just need one setting for flying birds and one for sitting birds. I would like one big U1 button and one big U2 button. Kind of like the A and B brush in lightroom. When you are in U1 mode everything you do is saved to the U1 preset. With that I would not need a better button for switching the number of focus points.
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    on camera wifi would be nice
  • ThomasHortonThomasHorton Posts: 323Member
    Focus traping. The D800 is *supposed* to be able to do it. The manual tells us how to do it, but the D800 aint doin it. :(
    Gear: Camera obscura with an optical device which transmits and refracts light.
    edited March 2014
    Focus traping. The D800 is *supposed* to be able to do it. The manual tells us how to do it, but the D800 aint doin it. :(
    which setting(s) are you using?

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited March 2014
    Yes, this is a well known problem with newer Nikon bodies. I made a video about it a while ago when we had a thread on the subject. http://youtu.be/kalsOY77TsY
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    I have edited the title of this thread as we now are getting closer to an announcement…..at least in my head..LOL

It looks like Nikon has made improvements, and hopefully will have corrected any focus spot problems folks had, and my guess is the lack of an AA filter will be more like the D7100 instead of the strange way it was on the D800E. A slight increase in FPS to 6 with the grip, better low light ISO, and this may be my "D400" shooting in crop mode. (18.6 MB files in 14-bit lossless compressed)

Any other thoughts?
    Msmoto, mod
  • scoobysmakscoobysmak Posts: 215Member
    I have edited the title of this thread as we now are getting closer to an announcement…..at least in my head..LOL

A slight increase in FPS to 6 with the grip, better low light ISO, and this may be my "D400" shooting in crop mode. (18.6 MB files in 14-bit lossless compressed)

Any other thoughts?
    I would probably get one and the grip if I could get 6 fps, the bonus of better low light ISO and the other extras is the icing on the cake. I might purchase a second "D800s" if things like oil spots or focus issues are not a problem, they would replace a D700 and D7000 for me. Then I wouldn't worry about switching menu and controls when between bodies. I might have missed some specs though, I thought the 36 MP sensor in crop mode was more like 16 MP?

Only time will tell what the real specs are.

• proudgeekproudgeek Posts: 1,422Member
    This might be as close to a D400 as you get. Although it does seem a shame to have to buy a camera like this to shoot it in DX mode. I'd venture that you may be better off shooting it as a full frame and then cropping.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Regarding the specs:
    Here is the first set of rumored specifications for the Nikon D800s DSLR camera:

No low pass (AA) filter (just like the D800E)
    Improved software to suppress moiré
    Expeed 4 imaging processor
    sRAW
    Same AF improvements like in the D4s
    Improved low light capabilities
    5 fps (6fps with the MB-D12)
    Price between D800 and D800E - probably around $3000
    No firm announcement date yet - my guess is Photokina (September 2014) or CES (January 2015)

I had expected no low pass filter, Expeed 4 processor, and the same AF improvements like the D4s. I love the 5 fps and 6 with the MB-D12. That will draw wild life shooters. Bet we are looking at August or September.

If the price is $3K to $3.3K I will be surprised. Would not surprise me if it's $3,400 or $3,500.

Now Nikon has my attention.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    D800s EXpecting great improvements indeed.
  • KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
    edited March 2014
    TBH - I don't want a lot. I just want a faster D800E, with above mentioned updates;

No low pass (AA) filter
    Expeed 4 imaging processor
    D4s alike AF improvements

But I do want a faster camera, in the 7/8FPS range. Get that working, and I'd happily pay USD500 more. In Greenland we probably have some of the lowest sales prices for the D800 in the world, I get the D800E for about USD2'450, and I'd be OK with paying USD3'000 for that D800X.
    Post edited by Killerbob on
  • TaoTeJaredTaoTeJared Posts: 1,306Member
    And what If they put the D4's 16mp sensor in the body - then lower the DF by $1,000? Now I would love to see everyone go nuts on that. Or what if they go to a 50+ MP sensor with the same FPS? (My money is on a 40+mp sensor.) I still don't get why they would update it though.

So the D4x is nixed, but I'm assuming that Nikon would do to the D800s as they normally would do with a D4x - Raise the MP and incorporate the D4s processor and that would probably be it. I wouldn't expect much more or some big improvement other than resolution. The D3s/D3x were nominal improvements over the D3 other than sensor swaps. I wouldn't expect anything more than that.

Side note: I just do not get the overly compulsive obsession with FPS by so many - and especially out of a "studio" camera like the D800. It is just forcing an expectation that is not realistic. With the new Expeed 4 - it will only gain 1-1.5 frames with a 36mp sensor. It's data throughput, buffer, and write speeds that are the limitation. The D800 effectively produces twice as much data as the D4. I do not think it should be expected at all unless the MP don't rise. I'm never in need with more FPS, and rarely desire more. Maybe I'm just more deliberate than most when I shoot.
    Like many have said, a cheaper FPS D4 (i.e. D400) is needed to fill that gap - but that is another thread.
    D800, D300, D50(ir converted), FujiX100, Canon G11, Olympus TG2. Nikon lenses - 24mm 2.8, 35mm 1.8, (5 in all)50mm, 60mm, 85mm 1.8, 105vr, 105 f2.5, 180mm 2.8, 70-200vr1, 24-120vr f4. Tokina 12-24mm, 16-28mm, 28-70mm (angenieux design), 300mm f2.8. Sigma 15mm fisheye. Voigtlander R2 (olive) & R2a, Voigt 35mm 2.5, Zeiss 50mm f/2, Leica 90mm f/4. I know I missed something...