Do Nikon or any one else, currenty make any BAD lenses??

Comments

• GaleritaGalerita Posts: 10Member
    edited April 2014
    @NSXTypeR said:
    Gosh, good to hear an honest review of the 18-200. I had considered getting that lens as an update to the 18-135 just for the zoom range. I don't think I can give up the sharpness of the 18-135 for extra range. I might as well get the 70-300 VR at that point. - See more at: http://forum.nikonrumors.com/discussion/2514/do-nikon-currenty-make-any-bad-lenses/p2#sthash.p8TK4C3L.dpuf
    Definitely get the 70-300 VR - it's vastly superior in the tele range to the 18-200.
    Post edited by Galerita on
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Agree with Galerita, the 70-300 VR is a good lens. I borrow it once in a while form my wife's back pack. :D
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited April 2014
    I don't think I can give up the sharpness of the 18-135 for extra range. I might as well get the 70-300 VR at that point.

If you want a really sharp, super tele zoom, get the 80-400mm AF-S Nikkor f4.5-5.6G ED VR

yes more than twice the price

but no who has bought this lens has any regrets

Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • studio460studio460 Posts: 205Member
    edited May 2014
    I'm actually looking for Nikon's "worst" lenses. I own two: the AF Nikkor 18mm f/2.8D and Nikkor 43-86mm f/3.5 pre-AI. While both exhibit a lot of flare, I bought the 43-86mm specifically for its high flare characteristics. According to some guy named "Ken" these are Nikon's two worst. But, I have so many super-sharp, flare-resistant, modern optics, I've been wanting to shoot more organically "degraded" images. Any other recommendations?
    Post edited by studio460 on
    By the way, I use the newer AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4.0G VR as my go-to event lens. It's super-sharp!
    edited May 2014
    I've been wanting to shoot more organically "degraded" images. Any other recommendations?
    Pre Photoshop we used to smear Vaseline around the edges of a uv filter
    This seemed to best on large format and did not work so well on miniature format
    my tutor used to shoot through a layer or two of nylon stocking
    the exact denier was a closely guarded secret

• MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    As I understand this thread is about our opinions and not about anyone's scientific research about a particular lens. Thus one opinion may be diametrically opposed to another, both being the correct expression of their current thinking.
    Msmoto, mod
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    Rockwell has a list of his 10 worst Nikon Lenses ...but are they actually making any of them Now.
    Of course what is good on a D700 may be very bad on a D800
  • ElvisheferElvishefer Posts: 329Member
    Too many vanishing posts these days...
    D700, 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII, 24-70mm f/2.8, 14-24mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4G, 200mm f/4 Micro, 105mm f/2.8 VRII Micro, 35mm f/1.8, 2xSB900, 1xSB910, R1C1, RRS Support...

... And no time to use them.
    edited May 2014
    Rockwell has a list of his 10 worst Nikon Lenses ...but are they actually making any of them Now.
    There is in fact,only 6 and all have been discontinued
    all the lenses below are fine on my D700 and D800

The TC-20E AF-S Teleconverter III with the 70 -200 f 2.8 vr was just about OK on the D700 but I would say, a bad combination on the D800

edited May 2014
    I've been wanting to shoot more organically "degraded" images. Any other recommendations?
    Pre Photoshop we used to smear Vaseline around the edges of a uv filter
    This seemed to best on large format and did not work so well on miniature format
    my tutor used to shoot through a layer or two of nylon stocking
    the exact denier was a closely guarded secret

Yes, I've experimented with both techniques in the past, way back when I used to own a complete Mamiya RB67 system. I also had the specific brand of the super-secret sheer black stocking (Dior?). Instead of Vaseline, I used KY (thinking it was more "optically neutral") on a sheet of acetate--not recommended since it dissolved the acetate.

But neither the 18mm nor the 43-86mm disappoints--both exhibit tons of natural flare. I just haven't had a chance to fully exploit these effects on a shoot yet (I was actually looking for additional suggestions of other equally "bad" lenses).

Post edited by studio460 on
  • SquamishPhotoSquamishPhoto Posts: 608Member

Tell me about it. I mentioned PitchBlack disappearing from the board and scrubbing his posts and magically my post vanishes as well. Will this one stand the test of time? We shall see....
    Mike
    D3 • D750 • 14-24mm f2.8 • 35mm f1.4A • PC-E 45mm f2.8 • 50mm f1.8G • AF-D 85mm f1.4 • ZF.2 100mm f2 • 200mm f2 VR2
    edited May 2014

And too many vanishing formalities

I thought I might expand this thread
    Does any one currently make any bad lenses
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    edited July 2014
    By the way, I use the newer AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4.0G VR as my go-to event lens. It's super-sharp!
    Funny you should say that Studio, I recently tried the 24-120 as it would be perfect on a D610 for me but I found it really MEH and promptly forgot about buying it. Talking to a guy in a shop last week and he said exactly the same thing - he bought one, tried it and sold it. I can only surmise that the 24-120 is very variable in sharpness. I rated the VR, as amazing but not the sharpness.
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
    I can only surmise that the 24-120 is very variable in sharpness. I rated the VR, as amazing but not the sharpness.
    Out of interest _ was the 24 -120 , and or the D600 you tried it on, new or S/H ?

• WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    I'm actually looking for Nikon's "worst" lenses. I own two: the AF Nikkor 18mm f/2.8D and Nikkor 43-86mm f/3.5 pre-AI. While both exhibit a lot of flare, I bought the 43-86mm specifically for its high flare characteristics. According to some guy named "Ken" these are Nikon's two worst. But, I have so many super-sharp, flare-resistant, modern optics, I've been wanting to shoot more organically "degraded" images. Any other recommendations?
    Buy my 50mm 1.2 and shoot it at 1.2. I like the effect on some images and it is quite obvious.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    @studio460, one way to degrade even the best lens is to use a cheap filter. I have a clear Promaster 77mm that I've nicknamed the flaremaster. The cheaper the better for good organic effects, you can even scratch them up or beak em for cool effects. Did I say cheap?
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I can only surmise that the 24-120 is very variable in sharpness. I rated the VR, as amazing but not the sharpness.
    Out of interest _ was the 24 -120 , and or the D600 you tried it on, new or S/H ?

Both new.

Always learning.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2014
    The Nikon AF 35-70mm F/2.8D should have pretty much the same optical performance as the 24-70mm f/2.8. I bought the 35-70mm F/2.8D and used it on my D300. F/2.8 was unusable, just crap photo's came out of it, this became a little better by f/4 ( a little). Tried another 35-70mm F/2.8D from a friend of mine, same story. I sold this - flagship -, kept reading reviews and every review said, it is a little soft on f/2.8, but better on f/4.

This was the moment I skipped reading reviews (ok most of them).

I bought the D300 instead of the D700 at that time, but my next camera should be FF. I sold a lot of my lenses and went for good FF lenses. The first one was the 24-70mm f/2.8, great on the D300. Incredible on the D600 for me and compared to the 35-70mm F/2.8D, day and night.

my 2 cents.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    Those who say it can't be done, should not interrupt those doing it!
    I don't think the AF 35-70mm F/2.8D is a current lens
    have pretty much the same optical performance as the 24-70mm f/2.8. -
    don't believe everything KR says
  • @sevencrossing Sorry, I read it wrong, did not see current lenses. What is it with KR?
    Those who say it can't be done, should not interrupt those doing it!
    from KR web site

This 35-70mm f/2.8 AF-D was Nikon's flagship professional midrange zoom of the 1990s, and has pretty much the same optical performance as the newest 24-70mm f/2.8 AFS, with a lot less size, weight and cost.