Nikon 1 V3

1235»

Comments

• heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    There is somthing about the V3 that has me curious.. the shutter specs show that it can go to 1/16000 seconds. That looks extremely fast. it does that with both mechanical and electronic shutters right?

I am wondering if it truly is mechanical at all at high shutter speeds.. why I am saying this is because the old D70 that I had had a shutter speed of 1/8000 of a second. but it was not mechanical at shutter speeds above 1/250 ie any shutter speeds above that say 1/500 or 1/1000 or 1/8000 was done electronically. this can be proven with shooting with flash and setting at 1/8000 shutter speed. There wont be a "slit" of light on the image as you would see in a true mechanical shutter.

So I am wondering if the N1V3 is doing the same thing. Ie using electronic shutters at higher shutter speeds. unfortunately there is no way to prove it .. is there ?
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    I can feel and hear the shutter fire. You can take the lens off and watch it fire if you want. All of the speeds can be controlled either electronically or with a shutter, with the exception of 1/16,000 which is only electronic.
    I can feel and hear the shutter fire. You can take the lens off and watch it fire if you want. All of the speeds can be controlled either electronically or with a shutter, with the exception of 1/16,000 which is only electronic.
    In the D70 you can also "feel" the mechanical shutter firing. however the mechanical shutter doesn't actually go "faster" than 1/250.... if you look at a high speed slow mo of a D4 you will see the shutters becomes a slit.
    With the D70 it never becomes a slit. If we can see the shutter working in a N1V3 then we can prove it! If we have 2 N1 cameras we can probably use one at 1200fps to shoot the other shutter !!

Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

I was thinking the same thing. Perhaps an excuse to get a AW1 >:)
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    edited March 2015
    See here: http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/nikon-v3/nikon-v3A.HTM
    By default it uses a focal-plane mechanical shutter that's limited to 1/4,000s, but if you enable the electronic shutter, you can achieve shutter speeds up to 1/16,000s!
    Post edited by manhattanboy on
    Yes, I stand corrected. I thought the mechanical shutter was able to go up to 1/8000, but it does stop at 1/4000.

From http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/acil/bodies/v3/spec.htm

Shutter
    Type Electronically-controlled vertical-travel focalplane mechanical shutter; electronic shutter
    Speed
    Mechanical shutter: 1/4000-30 s in steps of 1/3 EV; Bulb; Time (requires optional ML-L3 remote control)
    Electronic shutter: 1/16,000-30 s in steps of 1/3 EV; Bulb; Time (requires optional ML-L3 remote control)
    Thanks that's pretty clear then ..nothing to test :-)

I still want an AW1 :-S
    edited March 2015
    One thing I am not clear on ...is the 1/16000 a global shutter ? ie it would be so cool if we could flash sync at 1/16000 ! :-) but there is no way to trigger a flash I think ..
    Post edited by heartyfisher on

One thing I am not clear on ...is the 1/16000 a global shutter ? ie it would be so cool if we could flash sync at 1/16000 ! :-) but there is no way to trigger a flash I think ..
    Flash Sync
    Mechanical shutter: Synchronizes with shutter at X=1/250s or slower
    Electronic shutter: Synchronizes with shutter at X=1/60s or slower
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    My wife won't use the D3100 I bought her because it is too big so I am taking my first look at the Nikon 1 series. A preliminary look makes me think that the specs are very similar between the J3, J4 & J5 (mainly Mp) so I may look for a clean low click J3 - but - I am not familiar enough with the 1 series to be sure.

I expect some of you know all about them so what do you reckon - or perhaps you have a better idea? I will probably use it myself too, so I would like a reasonable level of quality, but the budget is meagre so the 1 series is the limit for price.

Thanks for any advice.
    Always learning.
    My wife won't use the D3100 I bought her because it is too big so I am taking my first look at the Nikon 1 series. A preliminary look makes me think that the specs are very similar between the J3, J4 & J5 (mainly Mp) so I may look for a clean low click J3 - but - I am not familiar enough with the 1 series to be sure.

I expect some of you know all about them so what do you reckon - or perhaps you have a better idea? I will probably use it myself too, so I would like a reasonable level of quality, but the budget is meagre so the 1 series is the limit for price.

Thanks for any advice.
    What does she primarily shoot? That will determine the lenses needed.
    In general I would recommend the J5: it has a better sensor, a flip out touch screen and built in wifi. Thom has some general info on pros and cons here:
    http://www.sansmirror.com/newsviews/best-serious--entry-mirrorl.html
    The main page has some rumors on new 1" Coolpix, but knowing Nikon they may price those even more than the J5 sadly :( . My main complaint with the J series is lack of a viewfinder. Add a viewfinder and proper controls to the J5 and it would be a LOT more useful and make me consider leaving the DSLR at home.
    She isn't a photographer really, it will be just shots with friends and holiday snaps. She would prefer one of the viewfinder models but they are too expensive for what they are. The flip out touch screen would be good for her though. It seems the newer models are getting cheaper - is there a reason for that or is it just market forces?
    Always learning.
    I think J5 is the one. Thanks @manhattanboy.
    Always learning.
  • KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
    My wife has the AW1, and has shot a few thousand pictures with it since July '15. She is pretty happy with it, and I must admit for what it is, it is certainly a nice little package.

We got the FT1 adapter as well, and she has recently figured out that she is not limited to the 11-27.5mm lens she has on it, but can actually use all my lenses as well - dammit:)

That works though, and she especially taken a liking to my 24-70mm f/2.8, as well as my 85mm f/1.4... Nice portraits she can do with the 85mm. Effectively that is a 229mm f/1.4, which I guess it faster than my beloved 200mm f/2...
    Hmmm, Hadn't really thought of that, but I am going to try it on night shots as it has a backside illuminated sensor.
    Always learning.
  • KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
    Actually you saying that got me thinking... I'll try it on my 80-400mm with the TC-14, which would give me an effective 1500mm, or perhaps on my 500mm f/4 with the TC-16, which is 1890mm f/5.6:) Would make the moon look, well WOW.
    Shooting the moon is easy with just about any camera if you have a longish lens (5-600mm), the backside illuminated sensor is supposed to help with stars in nightscapes. Working against that of course is the sensors size, but it would be interesting to compare one to my D750.
    Always learning.