Disappointed with Nikon D3200

2»

Comments

• MikeGunterMikeGunter Posts: 543Member
    Hi all,

@AbbyJ - Auto doesn't suck as much, at least I don't think so, if you pay attention to the numbers it gives you (f-stop and shutter speed, ISO, and know what your environment is), but then P mode is likely just as well and perhaps more friendly.

Photography is more to many of us, and a great deal more to most of us, than a gentle hobby. I've been at it for more than a half century and like others here can drop big names.

Of all the forums that I've posted and read, you should find this the most friendly and useful, so if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask or PM anyone. I don't think anyone bites. Well, maybe donaldejose, but he's a lawyer - that's his job.

And I bet he's a good one. ;-)

My best,

Mike
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    edited April 2014
    I shoot the D3200 in ISO 400 as my regular that I know will give good results. The next step on the D3200 is ISO 800 which I use only if I have to. I RARELY use my Micro-Nikkor lens which are much more expensive, are not zooms, and in most cases I WOULD RATHER use the 18-55 kit lens. In video that is a VERY good lens. A number of excellent posts here from the NR members and moderator. For sure though get your D3200 dialed in BEFORE you do really important shoots. I myself REVIEW my D3200 images on a 40 inch LED screen which is lightning sharp. The camera and 18-55mmVR lens is good enough to often impress me compared to bigger, more expensive rigs. I have used the D3300 enough now to know that is a slight improvement over the D3200 but in stills the difference between those two DSLR Nikons are minor. I have a slight leaning towards the 18-55VR lens you have over the newer one on the D3300 which collapses.
    Post edited by DaveyJ on
  • tcole1983tcole1983 Posts: 981Member
    Ok I got on my computer to take a look. I see a combination of things. Some is motion blur parts of the panda picture. While the panda is mostly sharp the leafs are moving...would expect this at 1/60 shutter speed. There are a couple others that the focus seems to be off. I would maybe try AF-A for your focus type..it will make the camera auto select between the continuous and single focus modes. I always use this and it does a pretty good job. What will happen when something is moving and you use AF-S is the camera locks the focus where you depressed the shutter. If it moves between the time you push half way down for it to focus and you press all the way down to take the picture the object will be out of focus...like the second bird down. Also your focus type...I usually always shoot single point, but some of the others like 3D or whatever might be better depending on the situation. Lastly if you want to shoot auto and you are shooting jpg I would try some of the scene modes. They might give you better out of the camera pics then just shooting straight auto.

As for you lenses...the 55-300 has a minimum focus distance of 4.6 ft...meaning it won't clearly focus on anything closer than 4.6 feet. The 18-55 however is .9 feet...as I said before it is almost in the macro range. Looks like you were using the 18-55 for the flower pics...I haven't ever used the macro mode on my camera so I don't know anything about it really. I mainly shoot Aperture.

I really think just keep trying and get to know the camera. It is capable. I had the 18-55 lens and it works great. I have a D5000 which is probably considered lower then the newer D3200 and it works just fine. Canon likes to have high saturation and probably produces a bit better jpg right out of the camera, but if you really wanted to get the most Nikon RAW files and what you have are plenty capable with a bit of work.
    D5200, D5000, S31, 18-55 VR, 17-55 F2.8, 35 F1.8G, 105 F2.8 VR, 300 F4 AF-S (Previously owned 18-200 VRI, Tokina 12-24 F4 II)
  • ElvisheferElvishefer Posts: 329Member
    I once read that canon's default settings for sharpness in their dslrs tend to be set higher than Nikon's default settings for sharpness (for .jpgs, of course).

It's probably important to remember that your canon to nikon comparison is not apples to apples; both brands set things up differently in camera.

D700, 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII, 24-70mm f/2.8, 14-24mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4G, 200mm f/4 Micro, 105mm f/2.8 VRII Micro, 35mm f/1.8, 2xSB900, 1xSB910, R1C1, RRS Support...

... And no time to use them.
  • AbbyJAbbyJ Posts: 10Member
    Thanks to everyone for all the useful advice. I think I was too hard on my camera, and plan to put some time into learning how to use it properly.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    As other have said, stop using Auto and start using A or P
    In AUTO ISO Try
    increase the shutter speed by 2 clicks and do NOT set any maximum ISO
    In A, if you are not too sure what aperture to set, try F8 if there is a reasonable amount of light about
    In poor light set it wide open
    Do not "try" anything on anything important
    just take lot of photographs close to home and examine them on your computer the same day

+1
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • mikepmikep Posts: 280Member
    edited April 2014
    pics look ok to me, bring them to life with some post processing !

*edit*

shoot raw + edit them in post

i would even argue that one could make better pictures with a d3200 + proper editing, than a d800 shooting jpegs - generally speaking
    Post edited by mikep on
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    @mikep

+1

The image is created roughly in the camera, much like we did with negative film. Then, the darkroom masters made the photograph…….. same today, post processing is where it is made from the "raw" data collected in camera. Or, at least this is close to my opinion.
    Msmoto, mod
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    Thanks to everyone for all the useful advice. I think I was too hard on my camera, and plan to put some time into learning how to use it properly.
    Nikon is a great camera system. As someone who shoots both Nikon and Canon, I know that Nikon can seem overwhelming, and many times the auto options don't nail the exposure the way you would like. Like most others here, I almost never shoot in auto mode on my Nikon (but I sometimes do on my Canon LOL), and might adjust many things for the shot. It's a curse that you have to think a little before the shot, but it is a blessing once you realize you have complete control over how the picture will look in the end. If you have not already read something similar, I would try a book like this:
    http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Exposure-3rd-Edition-Photographs/dp/0817439390
    With these basic principles of exposure mastered, you are then free to concentrate on composition and not worry too much about how the photo will turn out (as you will already know the answer!).
  • newfoundlander61newfoundlander61 Posts: 26Member
    Great colours and very sharp images. Love the tern shot on the rock.