Reasons Why Professional Photographers Cannot Work for Free

123457»

Comments

• donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    edited November 2014
    I come from the Midwest and my wife often says people from the Midwest are "too nice" in how they treat people. She grew up in the East and I often tell her she is "too harsh" in how she treats people. Expectations and "normal" behavior does vary from place to place on this earth.
    Post edited by donaldejose on
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Let's make at least some attempt to keep it clean and discuss the topic and not personalities….Thanks
    Msmoto, mod
  • WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    A photographer should be judged by the same criteria as other, professionals offering services for pay--such as dentists, lawyers, hairdressers, physicians, plumbers, etc. Is he or she professionally competent? Does he or she give good measure? Is he or she honest with her clients?

Adaptation of LL quote
  • ThomasHortonThomasHorton Posts: 323Member
    Perhaps it is time to close this thread? It looks like the question has been covered pretty well but some are taking the discussion a bit too personally.
    Gear: Camera obscura with an optical device which transmits and refracts light.
  • jshirleyjshirley Posts: 16Member
    This topic parallels the topic of "Why Musicians Can't Play For Free' in so many ways.

I've always thought that the disciplines of learning to play a musical instrument and learning photography were much the same. It all boils down to you and your piano or you and your camera. And what you can do with them.

I'm a professional musician and amateur photographer. I think of photography as more of a solo endeavor. As a musician, you can play solo or join a band and play in an ensemble.

The definition of a musician is 'Someone that puts $5000 worth of gear into a $500 car to drive 100 miles to play a gig for $50'. Sad but true. Sound familiar? It does to me.

The digital world has devalued the way music is made and sold - as it has photography. Film and vinyl are gone, for the most part (Pro Tools and Lightroom). Everything is in 'the cloud' now and you can buy songs (for pennies), or get them for free.

I love playing music. And I love taking pictures with my DSLR. And I'm always trying to get better....
    Nikon D600, D7000, 50 1.4G, 85 1.4G, 105 2,8G, 24-70 2.8G, 55-200dx, 35 1.8DX, 12-24DX, 55 2.8 Micro.
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    edited November 2014
    Few weeks ago my wife gave a makeup session to her cousins and I photographed each girl and one of her cousins on an extended pregnancy shoot.
    I did it for free and so did she. It was practice for the both of us and we asked them so it wasn't "correct" to charge them.
    Had they approached me I would consider charging them.

To me giving away work for credits in a professional environment is not good but for family I can make exceptions and it has to be close family.
    Post edited by Vipmediastar_JZ on
  • Bokeh_HunterBokeh_Hunter Posts: 234Member
    edited November 2014
    Sorry @Msmoto... I think we all know where all the name-calling began. I refuse to accept any blame here. And it's not the first time that @Bokeh_Hunter has gone off on a shrill, vitriolic rant.
    At the issue is your disgusting response and in your words the "dressing the woman down actually caused her to respect me more" is beyond disrespectful to someone who just asked if you would be willing to take some photographs pro-bono. That is a view that people are just like dogs and that you need hit them and train them to your view of the work. No one respects impudence at that level.

Attacking me for calling your pompous response to a harmless question doesn't change the childish response you took because your ego can't conceptually perceive that someone might believe you may do something without pay. You believe it is harmful and disrespectful for people to ask? That is obnoxious.
    ____________________________________________________________________________________________________

There is never any harm in anyone asking anyone if they would provide some services for free. There are many on this site that are good photographers who would probably really enjoy the challenge and the opportunity to be a part of many endeavors. There are many professionals who would jump at the opportunity to do a job for free if it was in an area they would like to expand their business into. I took a job that was for a family friend for images that was to be published of her (along with a short story of her's) in a book, no pay, no royalties, etc. It was really a last minute, rushed project but I had the time, thought it would be fun, add a credit on my webpage, and that was it. I bought some props, it took quite a bit of planning and scouting locations, and even caused some heartache with getting location releases signed. In all, it cost me $200 and about 25hrs of work. I ended up with props that I will use again, found some great new locations to shoot at and know who owns the land, and it was fun.
    After I delivered the images, a supporting organization surprised me with providing me with a very nice paycheck after they saw the images and acknowledged the project didn't have a budget, but they were stepping in to help those who helped support it. I had no inkling of an idea that would happen at all. Other thing that has been a surprise, I now have multiple jobs set up just because of that photoshoot and a stack of call backs yet to do this week. I thought I might get 1 or 2 jobs from it, but I have 6 set up already and another 18 call backs. I had zero expectation of that happening but that stuff happens all the time. Sometimes it is a calculated risk, and other times it is just luck. Do I do a ton of free gigs? No. Does it always turn out that well? Absolutely not. Did I have an idea this could happen (a "calculated risk")? Not even remotely. I thought it would be fun, challenging, and I had the time. It turned out better than expected.

Point being, if I acted like an ass and took taking a pro-bono project as an insult, I would have lost out on a ton of sales and certainly never got me any referrals. Life doesn't exist in a box wherever interactions are a one-off event. How you act (and react) is a reflection of you and your work and you are a moron if you think your actions are not relayed to people everywhere and will affect your opportunities. Out of the "free" or severely discounted gigs I have done, it maybe gets a 1:1 ratio. For every free/discounted job, I get one paid session that is equal to it within the next six months. Each job is 15-20 hrs total of work. If you do the math, you can't string a bunch of free work to try to get "more" work before the free ones push paid work, and that is not good. Down the road though, I have had one session pull in multiple jobs, but that was after a year or more later. I have gotten more work from (paid) shooting wedding anniversaries, b-day parties, and other various "family" life events where there are a lot of people attending. It's about the "exposure" (pun intended) not if it was free or not.
    Post edited by Bokeh_Hunter on
    •Formerly TTJ•
  • ElvisheferElvishefer Posts: 329Member
    One of the highlights of reading this forum is watching TTJ work so hard to perpetuate an argument.

It adds no real value, but it sure is entertaining.
    D700, 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII, 24-70mm f/2.8, 14-24mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4G, 200mm f/4 Micro, 105mm f/2.8 VRII Micro, 35mm f/1.8, 2xSB900, 1xSB910, R1C1, RRS Support...

... And no time to use them.
  • SquamishPhotoSquamishPhoto Posts: 608Member
    Everything is personal with this guy. Humility has long since left the building.
    Mike
    D3 • D750 • 14-24mm f2.8 • 35mm f1.4A • PC-E 45mm f2.8 • 50mm f1.8G • AF-D 85mm f1.4 • ZF.2 100mm f2 • 200mm f2 VR2
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    edited November 2014
    Different points of view are good to hear and debate but name calling should always be avoided. Those of us who hold strong opinions can seem to be "assholes" and can seem to engage in "personal attacks." At times in the past I have felt personally attacked (not by TTJ) for an opinion I expressed. Avoiding terms like "asshole, jerk, stupid, ignorant," etc helps keep the discussion about the concept rather than about the person.

As to the topic being discussed: whether or not a professional in any field works for free anytime is really a matter of personal preference. There is no ultimate right or wrong. Choose your action and live with the consequences.
    Post edited by donaldejose on
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited June 2015
    I recently took the decision to chance from being "somewhat retired" to fully retired

The hassel of running the business even part time was too much

the cost of professional insurance and the paperwork of limited company etc was also a factor

So how do retired professionals politely tell their "friends", No

The problem is not taking the photographs, i enjoy that, it is the pre production the ( the hassel of getting everything and everyone in the right place at the right time) and the post production, my "friends" want prints not jpegs and can never decide what size prints they want, or what paper

I am very reluctant to recommend other photographers, in the same way i do not recommend restaurants, if things go pear shaped, I tend to get the blame
    Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Interesting, as one who is retired from a pro career, albeit, my leaving photography was about 45 years ago, I am very wary of folks who ask me to take a specific photo. Only very special friends can do this and then it is a joint effort requiring input from the subject at the level I require.

And, I cannot remember when I have made a print and given it to someone for no charge.

An exception, as a gift I may photograph an event and then provide the images on a USB drive or disc, and I have created an album, but as a special gift at my initiation.

Even when I am doing documentation for the benefit of a group, currently the WBCCI here in the US, I provide no prints, but will provide the files to the organization, but this is more in the "member volunteer" role, not as a "free" pro.

Msmoto, mod
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Congrats on your retirement! Here's how i would handle it. Do you have a professional photographers association in your area? Recommending them to that, vs. an individual is a way to dodge the bullet. Something like this,"Given that everyone's tastes and preferences are different, I recommend talking to several different professionals from the list of association members. Make sure you talk to them up front about costs and final products. I would love to assist you personally, but since I've retired my skills have gotten rusty, my gear is out of date, my assistants are all booked with others, and I have so many pent up projects around the house I barely have time to think, let alone concentrate on a specific client. I hope you understand, wish me luck in my retirement!"
  • michael66michael66 Posts: 231Member

Even when I am doing documentation for the benefit of a group, currently the WBCCI here in the US, I provide no prints, but will provide the files to the organization, but this is more in the "member volunteer" role, not as a "free" pro.
    There we go! I stayed away from this discussion when things went a little south.

I'm a programmer by profession and I'm asked for freebie work all the time. The answer is always, "No, but I'll show you how to do it and if you get into trouble, give me a call." The few exceptions include the clubs/organizations I've been with from time to time. And with a particular Dentist friend of mine. I give him a few tips and 'fixes', and I've gotten some nice used dental tools that work great when it comes to electronics. Although, some of the tools he has are scary...

Then of course, there is my mother. Can you say no to your mother? Besides, at 80, she's more adept at a keyboard than some of the 'pros' I've had to work with.