What sites for fine art photographs in Hawaii?

rmprmp Posts: 586Member
edited July 2014 in General Discussions
I'm planning a family vacation in Hawaii in mid 2015. I will be taking as little equipment as possible: D810 with 24-70 f2.8, V3 with 70-300.
My problem is time -- I will never get enough time to find the "right location" at the "right time" when my family will let me let me take the time to get a good picture. I cannot say "wait a minute" or "step back and smile" without making my family mad at me. So, I need a little help from my friends That is you. :-)

Can you suggest a setting that might produce a "fine art photograph" in Hawaii?

Can you suggest a photographer that lives in Hawaii that could act as a "Guide" for a few hours in Oahu or the Big Island?
Robert M. Poston: D4, D810, V3, 14-24 F2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 80-400, 105 macro.

Comments

• IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    If you get up for sunrise, everyone else will still be sleeping, great time to get some quality photo time in.
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    There is an app call LightTrac on iOS that you can use to determine where the light will be throught the day.
  • rmprmp Posts: 586Member
    Thank you. The idea of sun/moon rise/set is good and an app to predict those events will e helpful.
    Robert M. Poston: D4, D810, V3, 14-24 F2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 80-400, 105 macro.
  • Bokeh_HunterBokeh_Hunter Posts: 234Member
    If you do a search for "photo tours" for Hawaii you can find a bunch of outfits that will help you get a guide. Anticipating a vacation this winter in Hawaii I was looking for the same thing and I found dozens of local photogs who will take one out. Make sure to know what island you are wanting to shoot with a guide. That can make a big difference as well as the travel time. A 10-20 mile trip up a mountain can take a couple of hours in some spots.
    •Formerly TTJ•
  • dissentdissent Posts: 1,329Member
    If you get up for sunrise, everyone else will still be sleeping, great time to get some quality photo time in.
    What Ironheart said, but also test the door closing sound if you're trying to sneak out early without waking anyone up. When I was in South Carolina with family, the door latch closed with a frightful racket as I was trying to carefully exit. Very secure, but no way to exit quietly by myself.

- Ian . . . [D7000, D7100; Nikon glass: 35 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 70-300 VR, 105 f2.8 VR, 12-24 f4; 16-85 VR, 300 f4D, 14E-II TC, SB-400, SB-700 . . . and still plenty of ignorance]
  • Benji2505Benji2505 Posts: 522Member
    Try the famous surfer beaches in Oahu
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    A great app for iOS that I came across a few weeks ago is called The Golden Hour App.

+1 on Ironheart suggestion.

Also, inform of the family that you plan on doing a family shoot one day and then find yourself a nice setting and have then all participate in the shoot. Oahu & the Gig Island have many neat spots with lava rocks that would make a great setting for a family photo. Note, a tripod will be needed as well as a remote shutter release. Do not try to set a time and then hurry to get yourself in the shot...those rocks can do some real damage to your flesh should you fall and need to stop yourself in a hurry.
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Also I forgot to mention, the lack of light pollution in HI makes for some great astrophotography opportunities. Set the alarm for midnight ;-)
    Also I forgot to mention, the lack of light pollution in HI makes for some great astrophotography opportunities. Set the alarm for midnight ;-)
    Outstanding idea!!!

I would recommend using the 500 rule.
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • BesoBeso Posts: 464Member

I would recommend using the 500 rule.
    I find the "500 Rule" to be too generous for a D800 and its 36MP sensor. It will also be too generous for the D810 in my opinion. Using the 500 Rule will result in capturing earth movement reflected by blurry stars in the final image if one uses a 15mm or similar lens. My experience is that 20 to 25-second exposure with a 15mm lens on a D800 is about the limit for clear, sharp astrophotography/dark sky images.

It is great to plan ahead and even do some of your own personal testing prior to taking the trip.
    Occasionally a decent image ...
    edited July 2014
    @Beso: I would agree on the timing. Practice makes perfect and shooting the stars gives you lots of flexibility. Getting star trails could be exactly what the shooter might be after. I look forward to a day where I, myself, will be at a venue that will offer the opportunities to take pictures of the night sky.
    Post edited by Golf007sd on
  • flight3flight3 Posts: 379Member
    @rmp I would look up places on Trip Advisor. That's how I learned about various spots for photos in Kauai, Hawaii. Definitely go out and explore on your own to see if you can find better spots as well.

I also agree with all the astrophotography tips, there is definitely less light pollution there.
    Nikon D3100, 18-55mm VR, 50mm 1.8D, Sigma 70-200mm 2.8 OS, Yongnuo YN-560 II Speedlight Flash www.dreshad.com
    All of these comments are helpful. What a great Forum. Here are a few more comments I am getting from other sources. The aps and sneaking out tips sound really good.

Frommer"s said in "Best Spots for Sunset Cocktails" (on Oahu): Sunset Lanai Lounge, at the New Otani Kaimana Beach Hotel

Read more: http://www.frommers.com/destinations/hawaii/793858#sthash.6kOYaP0c.dpbs#ixzz37iVNjTlI
    I can envision a close up of a cocktail with the beach and Diamondhead in the background.

A friend said on the Big Island don't miss Mauna Kea for pictures of the Sky
    Read more : http://www.adventureinhawaii.com/bigisland_maunakea.htm

Where do I get pictures of lava flow?

Best wave picture on Oahu and the Big Island?
    Even though I will be trying to lighten my load, I will take a tripod and a remote release.

Golf007sd and Beso recommended practice for night shots with a modified 500 rule. I have ordered the D810 so I must practice and now I will play with it and my 24-70 lens. I must lighten my load to travel so it will be the widest angle lens I take. Panoramas will be stitched together.

Any suggestions for night shots from the hotels on Waikiki? Hotel with a roof top spot? Street that leads up to a good view of the sky?

Any suggestions for a guide on Oahu or the Big Island. The map here on the Forum doesn't give as nuch help as I hoped.
  • framerframer Posts: 491Member
    For panos I use old manual lenses. 28mm f2.8 AIS is the best 2nd best the 105mm f2.5 followed by the cheap 50mm f1.8 AIS series E.

They are all great for astrophotography because of the hard infinity stop.

You really want to travel light :))

framer
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    I think you should take one of the NRF moderators along on the trip for guidance, etc. B-)
    Msmoto, mod
  • framerframer Posts: 491Member
    I think you should take one of the NRF moderators along on the trip for guidance, etc. B-)
    And which moderators might be available to travel on short notice.
    :)>-
    It would be hard to haul a new airstream trailer on this trip. :((
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    I'm planning a family vacation in Hawaii in mid 2015. I will be taking as little equipment as possible: D810 with 24-70 f2.8, V3 with 70-300.

Can you suggest a setting that might produce a "fine art photograph" in Hawaii?
    /blockquote>

The wife and I spent 10 days on 3 islands and came back with full memory cards, a half full backup hard drive,
    and my safety net, a folder on my work computer. So my first tip is back up every night.

I can tell you we researched the Islands for 2 months and talked to everyone that went to Hawaii to customize our trip.

Let me do some digging for our trip write up and I will leave you some suggestions for "fine art photographs".

For this trip, my gut tells me that Msmoto would leave her new airstream at home. =))
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    Thanks Photobug. I look forward to your postings.

After each of my family's "big vacations" I try to produce at least one picture that family members will want to hang on their walls as art -- not just a photo of the family -- Landscapes, city-views, iconic items in still shots. Something that works as wall art and also brings back fun memories. I have a feeling you have some of those shots in your folders.

I look forward to your postings.
    @rmp: The wife found her write up so here goes. I am going to divide this into 3 message, by island.

First a general comment. At one of the hotels, pay for the upgrade for "Ocean View" We did this on Oahu and I got great sunset and sunrise pictures since our hotel was on Waikiki Beach. This is a trip you will do once or twice in your lifetime so spend the bucks for an Ocean view at least at one hotel/resort. At that time rooms were based upon Ocean View, partial Ocean View, Standard room, parking lot/wall view (from high to low cost). Always ask at check-in if there are any free or reduced room upgrades.

Oahu Part #1
    Stay on a hotel at Waikiki Beach. Can't afford the beach, them move outside Waikiki. You will hate the traffic at rush hour getting back to your hotel but it's worth it. We got up before 5:30 am and went out on our lanai to watch the sunrise over the ocean. Got at least 50 surfers waiting for the waves. You need 200 to 300mm.

Pearl Harbor is great. Get there early before the busses dump hundreds of people in the first two hours they are open. We got there 30 minutes before they opened and were back 500 people. 15 minutes would have made a difference. Museum is good, use Auto ISO instead of flash and flash when you need it. Good gift shop.

Take the Arizona Memorial boat ride. I used wide angle and 70-200mm lens and got some great photos in the last 10 minutes from the memorial. You need to move along they only give you so much time at the Memorial. Be sure to try to get the oil slick and try to get inside shots without people. Patience but I got some nice ones. Guess who did not have his polarizer filter with him.

We loved the tour of the Bowfin submarine. You need a fast lens that can focus close. Also liked the tour of the Missouri battleship. We could have spent another 2 hours on the ship so we were rushed. You need walking shoes...good ones. Time management is important. We did all the above by 3:10 pm.

Go to Punchbowl Crater - National Memorial Cemetery. You need wide angle to normal and 70-200mm to get your shots. Great landscape shots and monuments. Use a Nav system or have maps, it's hard to get there but is a must for some of those excellent shots. Local street markings are inconsistent.

Check to see if The Society of Seven stage show is in town. Great entertainment.

Next day we drove the east side of the island. Saw black lava beaches, blow holes, and a huge Mormon Temple. I slipped a tripod into my luggage and got some great blow hole shots because of the wind.

Be sure to go to Waimea Valley on the north side of the island and go to the Audubon Center for flower and bird pictures. Late afternoon was good for the falls.

Tip: Check the hotel calendar for parades. That night we got to 3 blocks from our hotel and parked on the street due to a parade and I had to go back later to move it to the hotel. We also got trapped the next morning because the street was closed from 8:30 to 2pm for a parade.

Great photo opportunity at Diamond Head. I got there at 7:30am to climb up Diamond Head to take pictures to avoid the heat. Got some terrific shots of from on top of the volcano. Yes, it's worth the hike. You need a full water bottle. Wife stayed at the hotel and did laundry while I climbed the path. If I went back I would try the morning and then do it again to the top before sunset. Check the hours of operation. Plus I shot pictures of Diamond Head from our hotel balcony (lanai). Great pictures of the strip and ocean. Need a tripod.

Go to the status of King Kamehameha. It's decorated and makes for some good pictures. The Ioloni Palace, State Capital, Queen Lili Uokalaine and Father Damien are also excellent photo shots. I took tons of pictures at the Ioloni Palace. Grounds are beautiful.

This is a must see Island and justifies the heavy traffic getting out of and into the Waikiki beach area. It took us 45 minutes to go 3 to 4 miles. Congestion is comparable to downtown Chicago. So be patient and be prepared. Don't get a big rental car, easier to get around.

See part 2.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    Oahu - Part #2

We took a tour bus in the afternoon for a four hour tour of the island. We saw Diamond Head, DH Lighthouse (great photo opp), Koko Head Crater, kite surfers and wind surfers. Stopped a a few blow holes and saw the beach used in the filming of From Here to Eternity and a bunch of other scenic overviews. Nice scenic shots of Rabbit Island. Went to Neuanu Pali State Park and got some good pictures. Great overview and potential for outstanding shots...it was misting so not that day. Yes you could see some of these on your own but it was easier to take the large Van (about 20 people max) to see stuff and we got the local background stories.

Take the wife to the International Market for souvenirs. Oh, when you pack at home, leave a half empty suit case for the souvenirs. Don't buy everything here, wait for the other islands. And yes they weight your luggage between islands and I had to open two and shuffle stuff between them in view of 30 people.

We are planning another trip to Hawaii in two years and won't go back to Oahu since we saw everything worth seeing. This is very commercial area, heavy congestion, but you got to visit this island at least once.

Next is our favorite Island.
    Kauai
    By now you realize that you must do tons of research for this vacation to optimize what you see. We spent three days on Oahu not counting our arrival day.

This is our favorite Island. Stayed at the Kauai Marriott Resort, covers 800 acres and has the largest pool in Hawaii. Great for adults and kids.

We had a Garden View room overlooking a room and did not like it and they gave us another Garden view overlooking the gardens. So speak up if you don't like that room.

Take the wife to a Hilo Hattie's and she is going to buy souvenirs. This is a laid back island, no congestion, small airport, and it will take you 30 seconds to walk from turning in your car rental to the terminal building. This island is so beautiful and relaxing, totally opposite to Oahu.

Waialusa Falls is very beautiful. Work it and you will post a large picture in your home. Warning, restaurant food is expensive, especially if you go to places like Cafe Petrofina. Figure $50/meal.

We used Wal-Mart to buy water and breakfast bars. I also used a beach tile to cover up camera equipment in the car.

Allocate lots of time for the Wiameo Canyon Drive - 3 hours or more. Outstanding views, outstanding color, and the opportunity for large prints in your home. Scenery heaven. I stopped at every lookout point. The main canyon lookout is well into the drive. It drizzled some so contrast was low. Be sure not to miss the Koko'e Lookout. You are at 3,500 ft above sea level and the drop off is stunning. Temps were 68 on top of the canyon. Sweatshirt is needed.

Be sure to see Waipo's Flalls. Also go to Waialusa twice, morning and late afternoon. Okay shots you can miss at Nihau Island and the statue of Captain Cook.

Be sure to go to the Tunnel of Trees and continue on to Spouting Horn. The trees are fantastic. The Spouting Horn was excellent. A child was killed there the day before and we could see why. Expect to see sea turtles.

Opueka's Falls is worth the drive. Get there using King's Highway. We drove to the Kilauea Lighthouse and got many good pictures. We got some good pictures at Kilauea Point National Wildlife Refuge. Lots of beautiful birds on the ground and trees.

Check out the Lumakai Beach and the Maninikoklo Dry cave. I used a tripod. Lots of great gardens in the area of Princeville.

Botanical Gardens have great tours. Be sure to try the papia, mango, pashion fruit, and banana smoothies.

Three great days not counting the arrival day. We also relaxed pool side too.

Maui
    We spent 3 full days on Maui not counting arrival day. Left at 8pm at night for Denver and then home before noon. We could have done more the last day, or flown back mid afternoon. This was the only part we messed up our planning. We were done by 1pm.

We chose to go to a Luah on Maui, rated #1 on the island. Traffic was terrible, took 45 miles to get their and 7 minutes to get back afterwords. Be prepared for high cost and good entertainment.

The bad news, the wife does not have the Maui write up done. We got up the next morning at 3:15 am and took our hotel blanket with us and the coats we packed and drove up to the top of the volcano to see the sun rise. Hxxxxx National Park. Temperature on top was 35 degrees. You need a tripod. I spent 20% of the time helping people get sun rise shots...point and shoot and DSLR's. Amazing how people don't know how to use the "B" setting or how to find it. Dah.

Got some terrific sunrise pictures cutting through the clouds. This is a must trip. Terrific sunrise. It took 45 minutes from the hotel to the base of the mountain and over an hour to drive to the top, I think. Not sure, but sunrise was around 5:20 am. Ask at the hotel and their estimate was close. Tip, stay in the car until 15-25 minutes before the sun comes up and then go get in the front row of the viewing area. Be sure to have photographers gloves. It's cold up there and not enclosed.

You have 15 minutes to get your pictures and about 5 of those are peak color, so work fast and accurately. It's going to change every few minutes so be prepared. I used wide angle and the medium tele my 70-200mm lens.

We hung around and took pictures when the sun was up and then started down stopping at pull offs. Watch for the pack of bike riders going down the hills. They come up in vans with trailers with bikes and then ride down in groups. Wait until you see the drop offs on your way down...you can be happy you did not see that driving in the dark and yes there are switchbacks. This is a big National Park, sorry I don't remember the name but you will find it during your research.

Next day we went on the Road to Hana and we were excited we had a small rental car because pull offs are small...I mean very small. Allocate one day. Yes, believe it when they tell you how many turns are on this road. You are going to stop a lot for photos of waterfalls and the dense tropical forest. So expect rain. Yes it worth it. It's for photographers. Loved the photo opportunities. Just pay attention to the narrow curvy road don't gawk at the scenery. The restaurants are not along the route, so do your research and expect to wait at the couple of towns. We ate at the turn around point. Also took a side trip that was terrible due to the rain but if it was clear, the rocks and water would be great. Don't have the details. Go buy a book on how to see the islands and you will find these items. Sorry for the typos. Many people told us don't waste the 4 to 6 hours, too many curves and boring. Some drove for an hour and turned around We spent 7 to 9 hours and it was a highlights of our vacation...but we did not have kids with us.

This is going to be a long tiring day. So don't plan anything early the next morning.

We did find a water fall where kids and men dive near the airport. You need a tripod but I didn't use mine. Got some great jump shots at 5 fps. This is written up in many books and you need to walk it and be prepared with shot and medium focal length lens.

This is a beautiful island. Kauai is better but Maui ranked #2. There are great view on the west side of the island where most people don't go. Allocate time to get around the island. Much bigger than Kauai but some towns are traffic disasters but nothing like Oahu. If you play golf, this is the place. Lots of good highly rated courses. Also nice photo shots. At this time that is all I can remember about Maui.

Next trip we would go to Kauai, Maui and the big island to get live volcano shots. The key is to perform your research, plan, and then execute the plan. I hope this helps guide you to some fantastic scenery shots and an enjoyable vacation..
    @Photobug: great stuff. Looks like I just might have to visit Hawaii in the near future and go to all these great places :D

@rmp: When in Maui try to stop by Mom's Fish House and without question have their Opakapaka (Pink Snapper). To the best of my knowledge this fish can only be found in the Hawaiian Islands.