What sites for fine art photographs in Hawaii?

2»

Comments

• rmprmp Posts: 586Member
    I love it! Thanks @Photobug and @Golf007sd. The comments about the shots and lenses are especially appreciated.

I have copied your writeup and suggestions started my own pre-planning writeup.
    I remember a comment about the great smoothies and the Opakapaka at Mom's Fish House from a travel guide as being MUST TRYs.

We will be staying 12 days but only two islands: Oahu and the Big Island. Oahu because it is the only island with a direct flight from Atlanta and it has Pearl Harbor. The big island because it has Mauna Kea and the active volcano.

We will be taking my granddaughter 13 and grand son 11, so our hotels must be beach front I am sure I will take many beach action shots and hula lesson shots.
    Robert M. Poston: D4, D810, V3, 14-24 F2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 80-400, 105 macro.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    I want to see the shots of rmp getting hula lessons…. :-))
    Msmoto, mod
    be careful what you ask for ... \:D/
    Robert M. Poston: D4, D810, V3, 14-24 F2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 80-400, 105 macro.
  • paniolopaniolo Posts: 7Member
    Hi rmp, I just joined NRF after seeing your post. I live on Oahu and hope to provide you with some useful info. There are many places on Oahu to shoot landscapes. If you are visiting in July, the north shore would be best for sunsets and the east shore best for sunrise shooting because the placement of the sun would be over the ocean rather than a mountain (check out The Photographers Ephemeris - free for computer). Light pollution is significant on Oahu although there are places that milky way is visible. Outer islands are great for landscape and night shooting. Volcano shots on the Big Island is always incredible. For this, check out Extreme Exposures Fine Art Gallery (located in Hilo). Bruce Omori and Tom Kualii are both great guys and incredible photographers, and I believe also take guided tours (hiking) to the eruption areas. BTW, Bruce received the Winland Smith Rice Award (Smithsonian) - Google him and the gallery.

Maui is always nice - Haleakala and Hana are super. Hana is a long, slow drive but if there, you can also visit the grave of Charles Lindberg.

Any questions, feel free to ask!! Aloha
  • Benji2505Benji2505 Posts: 522Member
    Kauai is my favorite island as well. Northshore is my favorite place to stay-tourism hasn't ruined the experience there (yet?).
  • framerframer Posts: 491Member
    edited July 2014
    Last trip we rented a Mustang Convertible on Maui and Oahu. It was under $75 for the day and the Road to Hana in a convertible is a must do. I was also able to rent a Cessna and fly myself around Maui. I know most won't get that opportunity but there are places to get scenic fights from if you look for them. The families of whales that you spot are amazing. I want to go back.

framer
    Post edited by framer on
    Hi @paniolo and THANKS!

I should be able to sneak a day away from family adventures on each island for my photography. So time to find the right location is very important to me.

The Extreme Exposures Fine Art Gallery website was and is exactly what I was looking for. What a web site!

I have sent a link to my daughter (a TV News Producer and great photographer) and she said she would skip a day at the beach to join one of Omori's guided photo tours -- that is a huge statement. So, we have a plan for a guide on the Big Island. We may need to move our hotel plans from Kona to Hilo. I will contact Bruce today.

Now, about a guide on Oahu ...
  • proudgeekproudgeek Posts: 1,422Member
    Wow, lots of info. Traveling for the past few days so I missed this. Two things:
    1. This guys is a friend of my cousin's. I've chatted with him off and on. His work is pretty awesome and he does tours. http://www.afeinbergphotography.com/

2. If you're still not sure what to do, PM me. I've got a good friend who's in the tourism publishing business on Oahu and would be glad to make the introduction.
    Thanks @Proudgeek. I have sent a message to Aaron. He has some great shots on his website. If he gives tours/workshops on Oahu, I might be set.
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    The way this is going...I might buy a ticket and join in...hehe :P
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    edited July 2014
    @Photobug: great stuff. Looks like I just might have to visit Hawaii in the near future and go to all these great places :D

@rmp: When in Maui try to stop by Mom's Fish House and without question have their Opakapaka (Pink Snapper). To the best of my knowledge this fish can only be found in the Hawaiian Islands.
    Thanks @Golf007sd for the kind comments.

I ate so much fish on that trip my wife wanted to know if I was going to grow a tail and fins. :))
    Post edited by Photobug on
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    I love it! Thanks @Photobug and @Golf007sd. The comments about the shots and lenses are especially appreciated.

I have copied your writeup and suggestions started my own pre-planning writeup.
    I remember a comment about the great smoothies and the Opakapaka at Mom's Fish House from a travel guide as being MUST TRYs.

We will be staying 12 days but only two islands: Oahu and the Big Island. Oahu because it is the only island with a direct flight from Atlanta and it has Pearl Harbor. The big island because it has Mauna Kea and the active volcano.

We will be taking my granddaughter 13 and grand son 11, so our hotels must be beach front I am sure I will take many beach action shots and hula lesson shots.
    You are going to have a great time in Oahu and the Big Island. Remember you can always fly to Kauai for the day and return that evening. It's so worth it. As you research Oahu and the Big Island, take a look at Kauai. It's the most beautiful and peaceful island..IMHO.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    Wow, lots of info. Traveling for the past few days so I missed this. Two things:
    1. This guys is a friend of my cousin's. I've chatted with him off and on. His work is pretty awesome and he does tours. http://www.afeinbergphotography.com/

2. If you're still not sure what to do, PM me. I've got a good friend who's in the tourism publishing business on Oahu and would be glad to make the introduction.
    @proudgeek: Great photos on afeinbergphotogrphy's web site. Thanks for posting.

Lots of good tips and information....but that is what its all about.
  • paniolopaniolo Posts: 7Member
    @rmp: Big Island is incredible for ALL kinds of photos. Mauna Kea is tops for astro but I recommend a fast wide angle for night stuff (of course with a good tripod). 24mm is probably a little long - I have the 17-35 f2.8 and just got a 14mm Rokinon also for night shots. 70-300 is great for travel - I took a 24-120 and the 70-300 to a recent trip to Japan, 70-200 f2.8 being a beast to carry.

By all means, let me know your plans and hopefully can help you plan your shoots. Our group meets every Saturday morning for sunrise and know most scenic spots to shoot.

BTW, check out the RRS catalog - they have a shot with the Extreme Exposure guys taken by the RRS owner.