Gear maintenance -- Len, Body, etc.

Comments

• Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    edited August 2014
    @Photobug: For the most part, a damp cotton/microfiber cloth is all I really use in cleaning the outer body. If I get mud or other unwanted stuff on the grip, I dip the cloth in lukewarm water which has some soap in it. Just pay attention not to loosen the adhesive that keeps the rubbery grip on the body.

The Leica lens cleaning cloth is used last to ensure their are no unwanted stuff on the front elements of all my lenses. A must have.

Forget the Giottos Rocket Blower...get the Koh Global Hepa Jet Air II.
    Post edited by Golf007sd on
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    edited August 2014
    Not sure what soap flakes are, or what their original purpose is, but if for hands, they will have a moisturizer that will leave a residue, or for clothes will have a softener.
    In the UK the point of soap flakes is for washing delicate washable fabrics and that they are supposedly 'pure' i.e. without anything but soap. Washing powders have all that junk in but soap flakes were my best guess at a residue-free way of cleaning, but - in spite of a lot of rinsing - the trial was an epic fail.

I also found that some microfibre cloths contain gunk that smears all over your lens then is a hell of a job to get off. In the end I got my optician to donate a cloth ;-)
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    There are two types of micro-fiber cloth.
    One is small and smooth, like a synthetic chamois. I use these on my eye-glasses, front elements, and filters with a squirt of lens cleaner that came with the little cloth. The cleaner smells like water with a small amount of alcohol.
    The other cloth is larger, the size of a washcloth, and has loops like a terry cloth towel would have, except it is microfiber. I use these to clean the camera and lens body. They also work great on monitors and windshields, using just plain water misted onto the surface.

I hand wash the smooth micro fiber cloths with a drop or two of Dawn. I throw the larger terry cloth ones into the machine with other synthetic spots wear, etc... No fabric softener.

Geeze, this turned into a post of how to clean your cleaning gear, how anal is that?
    @Ironheart: Now then, how do you clean the inside of your washing machine to make sure your lens cloths come out clean? ;-)
    Always learning.
  • HvalHval Posts: 110Member
    edited August 2014
    Well here is my list: -

1/ Eclipse optic cleaning fluid
    2/ Pec Pads
    3/ Eyelead sensor cleaning stick
    4/ Eyelead wet & Dry Cleaning Wipes
    5/ The Visible Dust Quasar Sensor Loupe
    6/ Photographic Solutions Type 2 and Type 3 Sensor Swabs
    7/ Numerous microfibre cloths of all sizes and types
    8/ Giottos Rocket Air Blower
    9/ Cans of dry air
    10 Nikon Lens pens
    11/ Optician pre wetted lens wipes
    12/ Optix Screen cleaner

Have just ordered the Koh Hepa Jet II. I wonder if it will make much difference. Any one any evidence that it does?

Post edited by Hval on

Cheers,

Hval

Owner of an extremely high quality Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth
  • IanGIanG Posts: 105Member

2) Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth
    I'm fairly new to photography and I was just wondering, is it safe to use a Leica Cleaning Cloth on a Nikon?
    Cameras, lenses and stuff. (I actually met someone once who had touched a real Leica lens cloth.)
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    edited August 2014

2) Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth
    I'm fairly new to photography and I was just wondering, is it safe to use a Leica Cleaning Cloth on a Nikon?
    :)) Sorry I just have to laugh out loud. Glass is glass, and most "coatings" are so well bonded to the lens as to be nearly indestructible. I know I have used the bottom of my t-shirt to clean lenses in a pinch, and others have admitted to applying various bodily fluids as well. I doubt a pristine cloth from a reputable manufacturer will have any ill effect.
    Post edited by Ironheart on
    Since Leica produce better quality products than Nikon I would be more afraid about damaging the Leica cleaning cloth myself. :-)

Cheers,

Hval

• PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    I would expect some of that Leica quality to rub off the lens cloth on to the Nikon lens or filter! :-)) =))

How did we get so funny so quick. LOL.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    Nice to see. :)
    Always learning.
    I have to say that it disturbs me not to see people mention the Leica Cleaning Cloth in the endless list of material in their signatures...it seems to me there are people who consider this very important.
    Cameras, lenses and stuff. (I actually met someone once who had touched a real Leica lens cloth.)
    @lanG: Love that comment in your signature regarding the Leica lens cloth. :-SS
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    I couldn't afford the Leica Lens cloth. I really aspire to one though. I reckon that I should be able to afford one in four years time, as long as I don't buy that Nikon D810

Cheers,

Hval

Well come on then, add it to your signature! ;-)
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited August 2014
    Gee… I actually have one of these…. from the 1960's, yet still performing well……
    Leica Tabletop Tripod with Folding Legs (1/4" Screw)

As a matter of fact, it is holding this strange camera now…

Nikon F 1960's

However, I am afraid I have never even seen a Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth…. and I feel so left out….LOL
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
    Well you know what you have to do.... ;-)
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    ……
    Leica Tabletop Tripod with Folding Legs (1/4" Screw)

….LOL
    Lost mine but I still have the Leica Ball socket head ( chrome) that went with it

Well come on then, add it to your signature! ;-)
    Good grief. If I listed every lens brush, liquid lens cleaner, microfiber, cord bag, etc it would be 2 or more lines longer. :-))

@Msmoto: You have not lived until you see and use a Leica Lens cleaning cloth. :P
    All these comments about the Lecia Lens Cleaning Cloth can be blamed on Mr @Golf007sd. =D>
    @Hval: I laughed when I saw your signature statement. Very funny. :-))
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
    edited August 2014
    For the record, I own 3 of the Lecia Lens Cloth :-bd
    Post edited by Golf007sd on
    'nuf said... :))
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    OK, so what is the difference between a Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth and the bottom edge of my T-shirt? Along with a little blowing on the lens, then breathing to get some moisture on it, and finally, using the bottom edge of my T-shirt to wipe the lens (actually the filter).

:-*
    Msmoto, mod
    Aaaaaargh - we ALL do this, but no-one in their right mind will ever admit to it - unless, of course, you wear t-shirts made from Leica Lens Cloth material... (Now there's an idea...)
  • Parke1953Parke1953 Posts: 456Member
    That's about $360.00 for a t-shirt. Maybe cheaper if we buy the material in bulk. Any one want one. ;))
    You do realise that if you wore a Leica Lens cleaning cloth that you would never have to wash?

Cheers,

Hval