First Time FX Camera buy, Wondering Best lens to get

124»

Comments

• manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    the 24-120 f4 because i hear its super sharp and has a good amount of zoom. My dream lens is the 14-24 f2.8 but the price is steep for my first fx lens and only being able to shoot such wide angles i think would be a bit of a waste because i will only be able to shoot so many subject with it, if that makes sense.

What lens would you guys suggest for a first time FX buyer that shoots mostly landscape/cityscape/macro??
    The F4 zoom in 24-120 is a good range on a FF camera. For panoramic nature shots I find its not wide enough, but is still wider than normal view. The main benefit is its versatility, with VR giving you the ability to shoot at night indoors without a flash. That last reason alone is why I end up taking a zoom over primes for many trips, and is something you need to think about if you are not shooting with a tripod. The wide 2.8 zooms are nice, but most of the time I find I want more DOF at the wide end and if the lighting sucks, then the shutter has to come down or the ISO has to rise...the former being annoying in a non-VR lens making you take several shots to ensure a "keeper" and the later being annoying if you want to blow up the pics several feet, which is something I like for nice scenic photos.

That said, I rarely use the F4 zoom (other than the aforementioned trips) and mostly shoot with primes. But everyone has their own style. Have fun with the D750!
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    edited October 2014
    @Photobug
    Yes i do need to open a flickr soon. Ive just been posting all my stuff up on 500px but looking into flickr and will start using both probably. Stupid question, what is PAD? lol :D
    PAD is the first forum in the list and stands for "Photo-A-Day" and that where you can post those pictures you uploaded to Flickr. Here is the link:
    http://forum.nikonrumors.com/discussion/3410/photo-a-day-october-2014#Item_112

Thanks MsMoto for adding the link to my earlier message on the instructions for copying the photo from Flickr to PAD.
    Post edited by Photobug on
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |