Super Telephoto Lens Conversation

Comments

• MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited November 2014
    I have found all the discussion on super telephotos interesting. And, have learned the hard way that sometimes I can hand hold a long lens, other times the end results are not up to my standards. However, I look at all the info from nikon and others as suggestions only, and in my usual push the envelope style will see how handholding the 400/2.8 with a 2x teleconverter goes…. maybe even this weekend….

This was handheld as the eagle took off before I could actually get set up…
    NRF_Hampton_V_03.29.14-18

Not perfect, but better than nothing…..and this was at the NRF get-together in Maine earlier this year….
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
  • rmprmp Posts: 586Member
    Has anyone tried a telescope with a Nikon mount? I am considering renting a telescope for a trip to Mona kea in Hawaii and I have zero experience with a telescope. I seem to remember that a 2000 to 2400 mm lens will cause the moon to fill the frame. Is that correct?
    Robert M. Poston: D4, D810, V3, 14-24 F2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 80-400, 105 macro.
  • dissentdissent Posts: 1,342Member
    ... dontt you think its up for an update soon?? the 300 f4 + DX camera seems like a very nice setup for birding if we had better AF and VR. What would be nice is if D7200 came with an updated 300 F4 VR !! esp the tc1.4iii provides better AF.
    Well, there may be an update coming ... but I'm not sorry I didn't wait for it. YMMV. I heard somewhere recently that someone at Nikon USA was saying there was for sure going to be some Nikon DX lens love coming out in 2015. Maybe they'd throw in an updated 300/4 at that time. Anyone good at reading tea leaves?

- Ian . . . [D7000, D7100; Nikon glass: 35 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 70-300 VR, 105 f2.8 VR, 12-24 f4; 16-85 VR, 300 f4D, 14E-II TC, SB-400, SB-700 . . . and still plenty of ignorance]
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member

Well, there may be an update coming ... but I'm not sorry I didn't wait for it. YMMV. I heard somewhere recently that someone at Nikon USA was saying there was for sure going to be some Nikon DX lens love coming out in 2015. Maybe they'd throw in an updated 300/4 at that time. Anyone good at reading tea leaves?
    The 300 f4 is an FX lens, so the DX love makes no difference. It is an amazing lens compared to the zooms. Resolution is good; I was doing PitchBlack's eyelash inspection the other day and noticed at 1,000% magnification there is about a 2 pixel waver at the 7100's pixel density. The AF for being as old as dirt is really nice as it is not prone to focus chatter.

I will be interested to see Canon's new 400 zoom they are introducing this month. It may spur Nikon to do something at least on the lens front.
  • dissentdissent Posts: 1,342Member
    The 300 f4 is an FX lens, so the DX love makes no difference.
    No disagreement; just that there's been lots of various forum chatter on and on about a forthcoming upgrade to the 300/4 and it just never seems to show up. So I just pulled the trigger on the D version. If they ever come out with a G version, I'll look at that too.
    - Ian . . . [D7000, D7100; Nikon glass: 35 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 70-300 VR, 105 f2.8 VR, 12-24 f4; 16-85 VR, 300 f4D, 14E-II TC, SB-400, SB-700 . . . and still plenty of ignorance]
  • CoastalconnCoastalconn Posts: 527Member
    I actually just picked up one of the older 300 F4 AF lenses to use as a backup to my 150-600. I've been carrying the D800 and D7100 lately. I've been shooting the D800 with the 150-600 on my left shoulder and the D7100 on my right shoulder with my Tamron 70-200. I wanted to have a little more reach on my right shoulder and I found a "New" one for a fantastic price. Trying to find a nice cheap Kenko 1.4x to throw on it and I will be in birding glory :)
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    I actually just picked up one of the older 300 F4 AF lenses to use as a backup to my 150-600. I've been carrying the D800 and D7100 lately. I've been shooting the D800 with the 150-600 on my left shoulder and the D7100 on my right shoulder with my Tamron 70-200. I wanted to have a little more reach on my right shoulder and I found a "New" one for a fantastic price. Trying to find a nice cheap Kenko 1.4x to throw on it and I will be in birding glory :)
    Is that the afs version or the older afd version? i heard that both were not fast to af. are they good enough for BIF?

Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

Is that the afs version or the older afd version? i heard that both were not fast to af. are they good enough for BIF?
    The AF-S version is pretty good as a bare lens, especially if you use the limiter. I have had no trouble tracking fast movements with the lens in spray mode, and the lack of focus chatter really helps in that regards. Wait for someone to respond regarding the use of the AF-S with a TC. In contrast to others, I would not recommend a TC when shooting with the 7100 as the resolution is already at the limit of the lens, and you can crop in post from the 1.3x crop mode if you need more reach. I have zero experience with the new Tammy, but it is significantly bigger than the 300 f4, which was important to me but may or may not be not to you.
    It's the older 300 F4 non AF-S. Technically it's not a "D" either. I got a super deal on it. I had one briefly last year from KEH, but the AF/MF switch was jammed so I returned it. Optics were pretty good, but AF is very slow, LOL. I am sure I can track some birds with it as the focus limiter is very good and I have tracked a lot of birds at 600mm so 300/420 is easy for me. It was sort of an impulse buy. Will see what happens.
    edited November 2014
    @coastalconn Thanks .. i am considering that lense .. seems excellent value. but may be a bit redundant with my 70-200 F4. still I am thinking of up grading my old 200-400 F5.6 Tamron. Problem is there is no data on the performance of the 200-400 Tamron.. for me to compare numbers. One day I will need to do some testing to compare the 200-400 vs the 70-200 F4 + TC. I have had good and bad experience with the 200-400 in the past. I think mainly to do with camera shake.. Have not had good performance when the low light evening comes. Maybe I just need to practice Long Lense Technique.
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

@heartyfisher, Practice will help to a certain extent, but having VR is really such a great feature. I often shoot my Tamron 150-600 at 600mm 1/200 and slower if needed. I had the 200-400 Tamron when I first started out. It was so many lenses ago that I barely remember it. I should have the Nikon 300 and a Kenko 1.4x by the middle of next week so I can post some raws to look at. I can give you samples with my D7100 or my D800.. Let me know..
    edited November 2014
    @Coastalconn thanks .. I have an excuse to upgrade my Tammy !! :-)

One of the guys at the Peir during the Eclipse has the Tamron 150-600. Looks really nice ! Impressive. He had it on a huge tripod .. but in live view I saw that it shook a lot even with VR/VC on. the VR is good you say .. I was a bit worried about that. Maybe it was just windy... still even with all that gear he missed the "plane across the moon" shot ! Man can I match your mastery of bird photography with a tamron ? I think not .... but I can dream.. it must be the gear !
    Post edited by heartyfisher on

• Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    It would appear that Nikon will be incorporating the Fluorine Coating (FL) into all their new super telephoto lenses. Which I'm sure will be reflected in their new pricing as well. So for those of you that have been thinking of getting on, you just might want to pull the trigger before long.....

More Nikon patents for telephoto lenses with fluorine (FL) coating.
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • mark_4mark_4 Posts: 6Member
    That particular story is very confused - if you look at the patents, they are for method of making lighter higher-performing lenses, which they are doing by adding fluorite elements, just like Canon have already done. The fluorite element gets the lens a "FL" designation. This redesign comes with a substantial price increase. At the same time, they have started with the comparatively minor addition of a fluorine coating to the outer elements which helps to keep them clean. Unfortunately a number of websites have got rather mixed up about the two technologies and their cost and significance.
    When the 200mm f/2 comes out, I will probably have to go for it.....and a TC-14EIII, which will give me the 300mm f2.8 and have the fluorine coating, as well.
    Msmoto, mod
    That particular story is very confused - if you look at the patents, they are for method of making lighter higher-performing lenses, which they are doing by adding fluorite elements, just like Canon have already done. The fluorite element gets the lens a "FL" designation. This redesign comes with a substantial price increase. At the same time, they have started with the comparatively minor addition of a fluorine coating to the outer elements which helps to keep them clean. Unfortunately a number of websites have got rather mixed up about the two technologies and their cost and significance.
    I think you are right and thanks for the clarification. Otherwise it does seem silly to release another lens when Nikon could just release a fluorine filter.
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    edited November 2014
    Looking at the new 400 2.8E, Nikon did a lot more to that lens overall construction than just change the front FL element.
    Post edited by Golf007sd on
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • BesoBeso Posts: 464Member
    It would appear that Nikon will be incorporating the Fluorine Coating (FL) into all their new super telephoto lenses. Which I'm sure will be reflected in their new pricing as well. So for those of you that have been thinking of getting on, you just might want to pull the trigger before long.....

More Nikon patents for telephoto lenses with fluorine (FL) coating.
    FL stands for Fluorite lens elements. Fluorine is a coating that exists on the front glass element to resist dirst, water, etc. From Nikon USA's website: "a fluorine coated meniscus protective glass element at the lens front."

Occasionally a decent image ...
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,745Member

I use the Wimberley WH-200 on a Gitzo GT5541LS carbon fiber tripod to support my Nikon 400mm F/2.8, Nikon 600mm F/4 and Nikon 800mm F/5.6. I have been know to handhold the '400 and '800 when I couldn't maneuver the tripod into the space available but I will be knocking back Ibuprofen the next day.

The Wimberley is a terrific device allowing one to exactly set the center of gravity for a given lens providing perfect balance and effortless panning.

Denver Shooter

I have this exact tripod and head combination. Any tips on its use Denver Shooter?

I just need a long lens to put on it. I am leaning towards the 400 2.8E.
  • DenverShooterDenverShooter Posts: 416Member

I use the Wimberley WH-200 on a Gitzo GT5541LS carbon fiber tripod to support my Nikon 400mm F/2.8, Nikon 600mm F/4 and Nikon 800mm F/5.6. I have been know to handhold the '400 and '800 when I couldn't maneuver the tripod into the space available but I will be knocking back Ibuprofen the next day.

The Wimberley is a terrific device allowing one to exactly set the center of gravity for a given lens providing perfect balance and effortless panning.

Denver Shooter

I have this exact tripod and head combination. Any tips on its use Denver Shooter?

I just need a long lens to put on it. I am leaning towards the 400 2.8E.
    Setting the center of gravity for the lens you are using and getting it balanced will enhance your ability to quickly pan with it. I used locktite on the bolt holding the Wimberley to the Gitzo (blue locktite) as it occasionally loosened up when I was toting it around with the 600 on it.

The 400 mm F/2.8 is an incredible lens. You will like the images it makes.

I also got a padded bag for the Gitzo/Wimberley combination (made by Manfrotto).

Keep the legs clean and the locking collars lubricated and off you go..

Denver Shooter
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,745Member
    Simple as that eh. Thanks DenverShooter. This lens will be great for headshots, and maybe some wildlife.
    There is a control that allows you to adjust the lens bracket height which sets the apparent center of gravity. When this is set correctly along with front to back balance you will end up with a zero bias balance which will let you quickly and easily pan the lens. Its a little fiddly but easy to get the hang of.

Denver Shooter
    My comments...LOL

I must have the same Manfrotto bag for my gimble, was initially for a very poor Manfrotto gimble, but works well to protect my Induro.

And, in the "super telephoto" topic, I will hopefully be testing out my D500 with the 400/2.8 and TC20EIII. This should give me some interesting sun shots out here in South Dakota where I am catching some photos.
    Msmoto, mod
    Hit the Bad Lands at dawn. Can't go wrong there. It like shooting on Mars.

Denver Shooter