Super Telephoto Lens Conversation

12346»

Comments

• autofocusautofocus Posts: 625Member
    WestEndFoto, I have been back and forth on the 400 2.8 and 600 f/4. I thought I settled on the 400 but keep going back to the 600. I'm looking for used and have kept up with everything crossing the eBay block. I own the 200 f/2 and love it. I'm not so worried about weight so the 600 doesn't worry me. I guess it will come down to which one I find first at the best price. I'm banking on there being little difference in IQ between the D/G/E version. Obviously the D will be much cheaper. Decisions, decisions...
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    autofocus said:

WestEndFoto, I have been back and forth on the 400 2.8 and 600 f/4. I thought I settled on the 400 but keep going back to the 600. I'm looking for used and have kept up with everything crossing the eBay block. I own the 200 f/2 and love it. I'm not so worried about weight so the 600 doesn't worry me. I guess it will come down to which one I find first at the best price. I'm banking on there being little difference in IQ between the D/G/E version. Obviously the D will be much cheaper. Decisions, decisions...

Patience and you will find a good deal on that 600 F/4. I waited over 4 months for a used Gitzo monopod and got one at the right price. So many people jump at the first one. I have a friend that got a Canon 300 mm lens and we were shocked with the condition, much much better then what the seller said. Sure beats paying for a new one.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    edited October 2016
    Well the Gitzo G1548 tripod and Wimberley Gimbal head arrived today. Wow! Great stable platform. No longer questioning myself for spending the money. Now I need to find the 600mm to perch on top. I've changed my mind a dozen times but I think I've settled on the 600f/4. Now to find one I can afford.
    Post edited by autofocus on
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,744Member
    Yes, that head and tripod combo is quite the combo.
  • dissentdissent Posts: 1,336Member

Once you get the "large lens" you will need Sherpa to haul it around. I purchased a used Jogging Stroller to haul the "large Lenses" and the Tripod and that saved my back and made for a much happier experience shooting with them.

Denver Shooter

I've been thinking of this too. I've been wondering though about the impact (to coin a phrase) on the gear of using a cart or some such over uneven ground or other non-level terrain. How's your experience been?

- Ian . . . [D7000, D7100; Nikon glass: 35 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 70-300 VR, 105 f2.8 VR, 12-24 f4; 16-85 VR, 300 f4D, 14E-II TC, SB-400, SB-700 . . . and still plenty of ignorance]
  • framerframer Posts: 491Member
    I've been using a 400 f/2.8 AFS mk2 it is the best lens I own. Used with the TC14E it a fabulous 560mm f4 and very fast focus. I've also used it with the TC20E III with OK results but focus was a bit, slight bit, slower. A solid tripod is a must when using it with the TC20E III.

Whatever you get try and find one without the case and if lucky one with a RSS or Kirk foot for a good price. KEH seems to have a good selection right now. Recently toward the end of the month they seem to have great sales, wait for one of those 15-25% off.

Good luck with your search, I know what you're going through...

framer

• DenverShooterDenverShooter Posts: 416Member
    dissent said:

Once you get the "large lens" you will need Sherpa to haul it around. I purchased a used Jogging Stroller to haul the "large Lenses" and the Tripod and that saved my back and made for a much happier experience shooting with them.

Denver Shooter

I've been thinking of this too. I've been wondering though about the impact (to coin a phrase) on the gear of using a cart or some such over uneven ground or other non-level terrain. How's your experience been?

I haven't had any issues on the gravel trails I usually end up on. I should note that I have the lenses in their cases... You don't want to be schlepping those around hill and dale without the cases..

Denver Shooter
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    A jogging stroller is brilliant as they usually have pneumatic tires like a bike, and he'll, it's good enough for a baby, so it should be able to "baby" your lenses :wink:
  • dissentdissent Posts: 1,336Member
    Hmm, and I see by a quick search that some models even come with integral cup holders on top. Looking better and better......
    - Ian . . . [D7000, D7100; Nikon glass: 35 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 70-300 VR, 105 f2.8 VR, 12-24 f4; 16-85 VR, 300 f4D, 14E-II TC, SB-400, SB-700 . . . and still plenty of ignorance]
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,744Member
    Also less likely to be a theft target.
    Especially if you wrap it in a blanket and coo-coo at it periodically :kiss:
    Ironheart said:

A jogging stroller is brilliant as they usually have pneumatic tires like a bike, and he'll, it's good enough for a baby, so it should be able to "baby" your lenses :wink:

And you can buy them used for cheap. I got mine from some sporting gear recycling store for $30 or so.

Denver Shooter
  • proudgeekproudgeek Posts: 1,422Member
    I carry mine into the back country a lot (albeit only a 300 f/2.8 with a TC). A baby jogger isn't always a solution. Plus they don't fit well on bush planes or helicopters.
  • retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    Has anyone seen any reviews of the new Tamron 150-600 G2. I am dreaming of a longer zoom. Most comparisons I have seen recommend the Sigma Sport over the Nikkor 200-500. Both are big witch is a drawback but not a deal breaker. Waiting to see how the G2 compares and saving the money.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    We have a couple of Tamron G2 threads active at the moment.. I think there are a few links to reviews in them..
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

proudgeek said:

I carry mine into the back country a lot (albeit only a 300 f/2.8 with a TC). A baby jogger isn't always a solution. Plus they don't fit well on bush planes or helicopters.

The Bell JetRanger 412 Super Performance that I had a ride in with the US Park Police had plenty of room for all kinds of gear...

And the pilot drove it like he stole it. The only thing missing was Ride of the Valkyrie playing in the intercom headset.

Denver Shooter
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    The secret to the Sherpa issue is to park close....LOL.

I tested my new D500 with 70-200/2.8 and TC-20EIII, about the largest one can take into the stands at a car racing event (NASCAR rules at least). So from the 41st row, outside turn one, shooting across the track at two, 200 yards from the car....

WOO_10.28.2016_TFL-6

To get the motion of wheels, 1/250 sec is about as fast as one can shoot and these cars are not only moving forward, but bouncing around and moving sideways as well... Anyway, what I really needed was a Sherpa to carry me up to the 41st row....LOL

Oh, yes, the walk from my RV to the track entrance is less than 400 yards...
    Msmoto, mod
    Is anyone using a sighting device for there Supertele lens? I picked this up from B&H after seeing it on YouTube. It definitely helps in quicker acquisition.

_DCE7383
    Question... Is there any difference in AF Speed between the 400mm AF-S D version and the AF-S G? I have a chance to pick up a D version pretty cheap (not the Mk II) and I don't want to regret it. Just can't swing a G version right now. Any help is appreciated.
    Depends on the body. D lenses are driven by a motor in the body, not the lens. Single digit pro bodies are faster natch'
    Ironheart said:

Depends on the body. D lenses are driven by a motor in the body, not the lens. Single digit pro bodies are faster natch'

Isn't the AF-S model an internal focus motor?
    Well I bit the bullet and bought a Nikon 400mm AF-S D (mk 1) model for $2200. I'm thinking I can't go wrong at that price. I'll save again for the 600mm later in 2017. Other life events took a toll on my mad money so I was forced to lower my purchase expectations. Anybody have this lens and want to weigh in on what I can expect?
    I'm extremely happy with the AF-S 400 2.8 I'm sure the latter versions are much better ergonomically but for the money I spent this lens rocks. It's great when paired with the D500 and accepts the TC-17 with no perceived degradation in AF speed. Looking forward to better weather this spring to really have some fun. Now I know why everyone spends good money on a Tripod. The Gitzo and Wimberley Head make for a great package.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    autofocus said:

I'm extremely happy with the AF-S 400 2.8 I'm sure the latter versions are much better ergonomically but for the money I spent this lens rocks. It's great when paired with the D500 and accepts the TC-17 with no perceived degradation in AF speed. Looking forward to better weather this spring to really have some fun. Now I know why everyone spends good money on a Tripod. The Gitzo and Wimberley Head make for a great package.

I am no longer surprised when I see a good DSLR and lens on a inexpensive tripod. I wish I had moved up to the Gitzo tripod years earlier. The tripod and head really make a difference. Two years ago I had set up at Mount Rushmore to take pictures with the blue to black sky and several people asked about the tripod. The guy besides me had some off brand and when I showed him the difference in leg flex between our two tripods he actually got it. We had a short conversation but the real fun was watching his wife's expressions. She was not happy with my comments.

Anyway in the spring get out there and photograph those birds. In one month I will be photographing a Bald Eagle event outside. The last 3 years the temp has ranged from 15 to 40 degrees. So don't let the cold weather stop you. Happy Shooting.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |