Underwater Cameras

13»

Comments

• ChasCSChasCS Posts: 309Member
    Leaking Nikon 1 AW 1? Who said that?
    I'd steer clear of the Coolpix AW100. When I was at the Nikon depot last week there was a guy there returning his to be fixed due to failed water seals. The Nikon rep outright said, "yeah, we get a lot of these back with water leaks."
    I was referring to this.

D800, AF-S NIKKOR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR, B+W Clear MRC 77mm, AF-S NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4G ED VR, Sigma DG UV 77mm,
    SB-910~WG-AS3, SB-50, ME-1, Lexar Professional 600x 64GB SDXC UHS-I 90MB/s* x2, 400x 32GB SDHC UHS-I 60MB/s* x1
    Vanguard ALTA PRO 263AT, GH-300T, SBH-250, SBH-100, PH-22 Panhead
    Lowepro S&F Deluxe Technical Belt and Harness ~ Pouch 60 AW 50 AW & 10, S&F Toploader 70 AW, Lens Case 11 x 26cm
    FE, NIKKOR 2-20mm f/1.8, OPTEX UV 52mm, Vivitar Zoom 285, Kodacolor VR 1000 CF 135-24 EXP DX 35mm, rePlay XD1080

• tcole1983tcole1983 Posts: 981Member
    DaveyJ thanks! Obviously just a couple shots from the couple hundred I took, but I was happy. The underwater was rough. The water was fairly murky and very rough. Two of the days we were there the red flags were out and I couldn't even swim at all. The other days were doable, but still rough. I was beat after a little bit of trying to fight it.

Now that I am back though I have found it nice to have the camera to take around. I work in the field lots so it is nice to have a little more rugged camera I don't have to worry about so much.
    D5200, D5000, S31, 18-55 VR, 17-55 F2.8, 35 F1.8G, 105 F2.8 VR, 300 F4 AF-S (Previously owned 18-200 VRI, Tokina 12-24 F4 II)
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    We have the Nikon 1 AW 1 which will be tested in the Florida Keys in a few days. The camera we ended up with is the white model with the UW 11-27.5mm. The Nikon 1 AW 1 is a sexy little camera and takes nice land photos. It does not have the shadow detail particularly that say the D3200 and the 18-55VR can do. I shot this in a series of comparable stills and video and the D3200 stills are plain better. The Nikon 1 AW 1 though has constant focusing video compared to the D7100, D7000, D3200 which all have to be started in video mode in focus and will not stay in focus in a changing setting like the Nikon 1 AW 1 does. I personally would say that as a photographer using fairly different style cameras suits my mood at times. The D3200 though is my"regular" camera now. Once in a while I feel the D7100 necessary to handle a particular situation. The D800 and D610 also In my assessment are superior in shadow detail and better in real low lighting.

Now to assess the Nikon 1 AW 1 as underwater camera. Certainly the build quality of the Nikon 1 AW 1 is right up there with the necessary sealing to make a camera watertight. To me THE compelling reason to use this camera is underwater use. The shockproof and freeze proof attributes of this camera impress me less to be sure. Why? I have used regular cameras in low temperature conditions that are LOWER than the stated cold tolerance of the Nikon 1 AW 1. Shockproof is another attribute of this camera that there are "work around solutions" for cameras that get banged around fairly often.

So my grandson and I will post our underwater findings of the Nikon 1 AW 1 compared to Go Pro cameras which in this case is going to be the older Go Pro 3 silver model. The new Go Pro 3 Plus is a step above the the silver model so it is not as fair a comparison as we should do. Why are we using Go Pro 3 silver in this comparative test? The Go Pro 3 silver UW stills and video are excellent. So the tests will be done in as good snorkeling and diving settings as we have close to the USA. My memory of Looe Key Marine Sanctuary leads me to believe that that place is an ideal test. Using a camera in SALT water is pretty tough on it. If it leaks the combination of water damage and salt corrosion on electric contacts and circuitry will quickly ruin a camera. Maintenance is indeed required which has to be taken to a level few photographers are required to perform. We will keep you posted.