What bag are you using...?

Comments

• PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Nice bag that your girlfriend uses. Sure is big and DOES NOT LOOK like a camera bag. But that is the idea with these designer bags. Can't wait to see Tommy's comment on it. LoL
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    That is a great looking bag. Good price too for what it is. If I were a woman I'd go for it.
    Always learning.
  • Nikonsince1974Nikonsince1974 Posts: 78Member
    Tamrac Pro12. It is amazing how much stuff you can fit in it.
    Nikon F2S w/ MD-2, FE-2 w/ MD-12, Nikkormat FT3, Nikonos V, F4S, D700

16mm f/2.8 Fisheye AIS, 18mm f/3.5 AIS, 24mm f/2.8 AIS, 28mm f/2.8 AI, 28mm f/3.5 and 35mm f/2.8 UW-Nikkors, 35mm f/2.8 AIS, 50mm f/1.4 non-AI (AI’d), 55mm f/2.8 AIS Micro w/ PK-13, 85mm f/1.4 AIS, 80-200 f/4 AIS, 105mm f/1.8 AIS, 180mm f/2.8 ED AIS, 300mm f/2.8 ED-IF AIS, 600mm f/4 ED-IF AIS, TC14B and TC300.

Hasselblad 500CM with PM90 prism finder and A12/A16 backs, 40mm f/4 CF, 60mm f/3.5 CF, 80mm f/2.8 C, 150mm f/4 C and 250mm f/5.6 C lenses
    @Nikonsince1974 - that is a nice bag and the next step for me from what I have now. BUT - how do you get to the lenses on the lower layer under the bodies?
    Always learning.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    I have found when shooting in a large venue with multiple areas to capture, a bag which can be carried as a backpack works best for me. Out of the way, holds two or three lenses, possibly a second body, and the one I use is an old Lowepro similar to the Lowepro Photo Sport 200 AW Backpack. This is allowable in a lot of venues which have restrictions as it is reasonably small. One that holds a pro body with a 70-200mm f/2.8 is my suggestion.
    Msmoto, mod
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    One that holds a pro body with a 70-200mm f/2.8 is my suggestion.
    It is a lot harder to find bags that hold a body with 70-200 2.8 attached then one would think!!
    Most bags are just too short to put the lens face down, and there are those like the Tamrac Pro12 above, but they don't allow one to carry two bodies both with big lenses attached. My favorite bag for serious shooting is the retrospective 20, where I can put in two bodies with big lenses attached. My neck and shoulders hurt, but that's life. Almost every other bag I have tried allows for only one body with a tele attached, and the second body would need to be with a pancake.
  • NoXiNNoXiN Posts: 123Member
    edited December 2014
    I used to use a large LowePro AW backpack. it fit everything I needed and then some. I also used it for storage. Then this year I went on a trip to Colorado and didn't want to take everything and that bag would have been way too much for what I needed. I did a lot of searching and purchased the Vanguard Quovio 44 backpack. It is not a lot smaller capacity wise, but feels a lot smaller on my back. (it's narrower but a little deeper). It's also incredibly versatile. it has enough pockets for most of my stuff, and has a small pouch that can hold what doesn't fit in a pocket. it has a side opening feature so it can be swung around and give me quick access to my camera if needed. it also has a good insert piece that will allow me to hold a huge lens mounted on my camera. I was a little worried when I ordered it, but after using it I know I made the right choice for me.
    Post edited by NoXiN on
  • dpidudedpidude Posts: 106Member
    I use the Think Tank Roller Derby for a main carry when traveling and use either the TK Urban Disguise 50 or Streetwalker Pro as a general carry on. The carry on is then used for my walk around, in addition I pack my equipment in TK Skins inside the roller derby; giving me another way to carry. Which carry on I use depends on the type of trip I'm taking ( i.e. national parks, streetwalker pro).

I've come up with this setup after a lot of trial and error ($$$$).
    D3s, (14-24 2.8), (24-70 2.8), (70-200 2.8 VRII), 2 SB-700, SB-910, 2.0x teleconverter
  • kyoshinikonkyoshinikon Posts: 411Member
    Out of my 3 bags (a huge Tamrac, and a small Lowerpro) my favorite is my Tenba Large messenger. Well Built, can put up with very rugged environments, 4 years later and no frays, tears, discoloration. i can stuff 2 bodies and 3 lenses into one (and my laptop) and I dont have to set the bag down to work out of it.
    “To photograph is to hold one’s breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It’s at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy.” - Bresson
  • TomBTomB Posts: 44Member
    Think Tank Roller Derby for planes and week long trips. 300, 80-200, 35-70, 20-35, 14, 50, D4,D800, two Teleconverters, and a single SB800. Also laptop, charger, batteries and etc. Makes for a heavy lift into a overhead.
    Think Tank Urban Disguise 40 for day trips without super long glass and multiple bodies.
    Lowepro Toploader AW70 for 'going to a party or such' where I am just doing snapshots. Though lately more and more I am just doing iPhone for that.

If I am going to be on a tripod with a single super tele, then I usually use this:

http://www.countycomm.com/satcom.html

Body mounted to lens inside. I have rigged a few straps outside to carry a monopod and or a sit stool. Usually this over my shoulder with my tripod in one hand. Mine is in coyote tan though so it doesn't look as camera baggish.
    Www.timbersnakestudios.com
  • itsnotmeyouknowitsnotmeyouknow Posts: 481Member
    I now have the F-Stop Tilopa bag in which the largest modular pack fits in. Plenty of pockets, and secure for carrying everything I need. I made the mistake on a magazine shoot recently of carrying both my bodies (D800E and 645Z) plus lenses and 2 tripods. The magazine wanted me to use the Nikon so day 2 I made the rather sensible decision to leave the Pentax gear in the car!
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    Billingham 207 and 550.

I use the 207 for a day bag and the 550 if I am going on a shoot and I don't have to carry it.

I had trouble finding a camera bag. Except for dress shoes and matching belts or tuxedos, I do not like black.

I also like a high quality bag that I will likely have for the rest of my life.

I found Billingham and B&H carried it. They have lots of interchangeable inserts to fit every possible imaginable lens.

I really like them. Probably the best camera bags money can buy.
  • HammieHammie Posts: 258Member
    edited February 2015
    Crumpler 6 Million Dollar Home Bag

Post edited by Hammie on
  • BesoBeso Posts: 464Member
    edited February 2015
    I currently have three "bags" for carrying cameras and gear. I use a Think Tank Urban Disguise bag for carrying one DSLR plus lens and up to two more lenses. It also has room for filters and other accessories. Pretty well made and durable. Great for shooting around town or other venues where light weight and a reasonably small kit are all that is needed.

If I need a bit more room I use a Billingham 335. This is slightly larger than the Think Tank and extremely well crafted. My only regret is not buying a slightly larger version.

For the full meal deal - two camera bodies and half a dozen lenses, plus filters, accessories, etc., I have a GuraGear backpack. This is a well thought out and well constructed backpack that allows me to carry a lot of gear. It is particularly useful when hiking some distance and not knowing what combination of gear is best suited; or when a wide variety of gear is needed to take full advantage of a hike. At least that is my excuse for not practicing better discipline! One nice thing about GuraGear is the shoulder harness/waist belt are self storing and the backpack becomes a carry-on bag that meets airline requirements. Very well designed and engineered.

There are a lot of good bags out there and personal preference plays a significant role. It is best if one can physically examine the bag prior to buying but few local stores carry a wide range of manufacturers and product lines.
    Post edited by Beso on
    Occasionally a decent image ...
    I'm still using my Lowepro Nova 200AW because I can't find a shoulder bag that is larger at a sensible price.
    Always learning.
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    That is a nice bag. I call them messenger bags.

I replaced my Case logic laptop bag that was on sale for 5.00 after all the discounts. The camera compartment dividers where flimsy and other items started to wear down.
    I ordered the Lowepro DSLR Video Fastpack 350 AW and it is built like a tank.

I used it on my last road trip. Laptop, Sirui video monopod, plus extras, I fit the D810 with battery grip and L plate and 70-200 2.8 mounted. One of my requirements was to be able to remove the camera without placing the bag on the floor. IT also fit the flash plus phottix odin, sigma 50mm and Df mounted with sigma 35mm ( a bit snug but if the bag was .25-.5 inch wider it would fit perfect.

Im glad that is the only thing that it fits as i was tired from that setup.
  • funtagraphfuntagraph Posts: 265Member
    edited February 2015
    Billingham are nice because of their silent locker. Sometimes I find the noise of ThinkTank's velcro annoying, but I can silence it. My real first bag was my fathers fishing bag which he never used. Had the same locker as Billingham and was also looking pretty old-school :D

I use mostly TT's sling-O-matic 20 (has been my primary bag in the last 3 years), sometimes a retrospective 10 and for the little Sigmas I have a suitable Speed Changer V2.0 and a belt. The Digital Holster 40 was price reduced but is a bit on the less useful side for my use. But the 300/4 PF and a FF body with grip fits in, so maybe it will see a bit more fresh air than the years before.
    Post edited by funtagraph on
  • autofocusautofocus Posts: 625Member
    Think Tank Airport Security V.2 and assorted messenger bags. I have several backpacks, none of which are photography related but work in a pinch. I've been thinking of buying one specific to photography. Also have several Pelican Cases in various sizes which are fine for traveling to and from big events however, they are too heavy for Airlines. I watch B&H for sales on bags hoping to find one that I like.
  • scoobysmakscoobysmak Posts: 215Member
    edited February 2015
    i have quite a few bags/cases. I prefer to travel with a pelican case if possible and if flying usually a 1510 but have had to gate check my bag a few times getting on smaller aircraft. Not something I like but when getting my "bag" back at the gate its pretty easy to spot. The downsides to a pelican case, one they are heavy with out anything in them and two if it doesn't fit it doesn't fit. Don't expect to be able to fit that item that is just 1/8 too big in the bag like you can with a cloth type material. I have a 1620 case for traveling by car but that gets extremely heavy if fully loaded, usually have more than just camera gear inside at this point.

I have a few Tamrac bags, a Cyberpack 8 (decent amount of equipment and dedicated laptop access), Velocity 8x (not sure the term more like a sling bag I guess), and for times I feel like torturing myself a Expedition 9x for hikes (this bag is huge, not something for the faint at heart to carry fully loaded). I have one LowePro Dryzone Rover for hikes and camping, so if the weather looks really bad I am not worried about my camera gear getting wet, just my safety..
    Post edited by scoobysmak on
  • macsavageg4macsavageg4 Posts: 75Member
    I originally started out with a sling bag that was made by Kiwi. I used it with my FTN and the D7000 when I started with digital. Later I built a case based upon the Kiwi bag, I ended up not liking either since the weight of my progressively getting better glass kept getting heavier. I then upgraded to a Brenthaven BX2 backpack. It was great but I wore out 2 copies under their lifetime warranty. I later ended up rebuilding them but decided I wanted to try something a bit tougher. Brenthaven in the meantime released their BX2 Pro backpack. Built like a tank with more room very comfortably handles all my gear on my back and looks great. I have a really big Kata bag that I used for a little while but it is redonkulously huge so I haven't used it in a while. I also didn't like the lens management in the Kata bag. If I ever get around to using it again I am going to build a better lens management setup for it before then.
    edited February 2015
    @macsavageg4: What is the model number of the KATA bag that is so huge? I am struggling to find a shoulder bag that takes two bodies with lenses fitted and half a dozen lenses etc.

edit: I just had a look at their largest current shoulder bag (ReportIT-30 PL for 2 Pro DSLR w/70-200 + 4-5 lenses + flash) and found it wanting. They say two large DSLR's with large lenses fitted, flashes and 4-5 other lenses but no way the bag would do that from the pix on their site.

I may have to get one made because the manufacturers don't get the balance between capacity and accessibility right for me. I am not going to empty my bag to get to stuff buried further down. Open the top and pull out a body with lens attached is what I want.
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited February 2015
    I am struggling to find a shoulder bag that takes two bodies with lenses fitted and half a dozen lenses etc.
    I assume you have looked at the Lowepro Magnum 400 AW Pro Photo Shoulder Bag
    it will hold everything and has lots of pockets and partitions

Post edited by sevencrossing on
    Hi seven.

Yes, I did look at that as it is their largest shoulder bag, but it looks like I can get almost the same amount in my Nova 200AW. Maybe it's worth actually handling one because I notice the bodies in the picture on their site are the large D4 size. If my D750 and D7100 with lenses on can go in there rotated 90 degrees, there may be room for a second row of lenses and/or the flashes.

Thanks.
    Always learning.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    I am struggling to find a shoulder bag that takes two bodies with lenses fitted and half a dozen lenses etc.
    I assume you have looked at the Lowepro Magnum 400 AW Pro Photo Shoulder Bag
    it will hold everything and has lots of pockets and partitions

That seems like a big bag to put on one side of the body and you might be asking for a back problem. How about one bag on each side to keep the weight even.
  • macsavageg4macsavageg4 Posts: 75Member
    @spraynpray The old Kata bag that I have is their Panda-402. I do have to worn you that it is a huge beast of a bag. I picked it up at an awesome camera store in Huston TX back in 2012. It is an older bag but it can fit a lot of gear. The lens management system in the bag is a little lacking so if I ever decide to deploy it again I will be building some better internal bits for gear management.