What bag are you using...?

13»

Comments

• sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member

That seems like a big bag to put on one side of the body and you might be asking for a back problem. .
    The 400 is certainly not the sort of bag to carry around all day
    It is to carry everything, including the kitchen sink, from the car to the venue
    If you need to carry gear around all day I recommend only one camera plus two or three lenses in a Lowepro Flipside
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    @WestEndFoto: It is a valid point about the weight. I have found that a wide neoprene strap multiplies the time I can carry a load by about 5 so such a large bag will pretty quickly find itself sporting a new strap. ;) Generally though, I would use a backpack for all day, the shoulder bag is for use where I am always stopping and putting it down. I just prefer top loading.

@Macsavageg4: If that Kata system is that double layer with a zip that allows the top and side to drop away, then yes, I agree it doesn't look great in most ways.
    Always learning.
  • ntime60ntime60 Posts: 7Member
    I have a very old Nikon shoulder bag that houses a body and a couple lenses and a Kata KT DR-4671 backpack. After experiencing a C6-C7 disc herniation, since October '14, I'm rethinking my use of a loaded backpack for everywhere I go.

I now see the logic in a two bag system, one for the car and one for carrying. So now, I'm looking for a decent carry bag or system that won't kill my back/neck.
    Cameras D300, D200, n90s, F5, FE, Nikon 1. Glass - 150-600 Tamron vc, Nikon 70-300 VR 4.5-5.6, Nikon 70-200 VR 2.8, Nikon 14-24 2.8, nikkor 50mm 1.4, Nikon 105 VR 2.8 micro, Nikkor 85 1.4G, Nikkor 35 1.4, 24-120 3.5.4.5
  • GaptoothedgypsyGaptoothedgypsy Posts: 8Member
    edited May 2015
    Having tried many different rucksacks (Think Tank, Lowepro, Nikon, Tamrac) for carrying my camera gear in the great outdoors, IMHO the best possible rucksacks are from f-stop. The carrying system is fabulous, I can carry my cameras all day long with ease and when I get on a plane I can remove the ICU and put it in my f-stop wheeled hand luggage. It's a fantastic system. If you are into trekking, getting up mountains in all weathers this is the best you can buy http://fstopgear.com/ Advert over, and no, I don't work or get commission from f-stop :)
    Post edited by spraynpray on
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    Adorama has some great deals on bags right now including a ThinkTank at half off.
    I already have too many to know what to do with LOL, but hopefully someone will find something good for them.
    http://www.adorama.com/pages/MemorialDay24hr-2015?emailprice=t&utm_source=rsys&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Email052215MemorialDay24Hr
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,287Member
    Anyone ever use a Lowepro Portland 20? I'm looking for a small-ish bag for a Sony RX100.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited May 2015
    Anyone ever use a Lowepro Portland 20? I'm looking for a small-ish bag for a Sony RX100.
    looks nice.. sorry not much help .. seems a bit tall. wouldn’t a wider version be more comfortable around the waist?

Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

Looks OK for a compact fixed lens camera.

If I went to a smaller camera though, I would probably go for one bag to carry wallet, phone, keys and camera in as the rest of that stuff is not good stuffed in pockets.
    Always learning.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Having tried many different rucksacks (Think Tank, Lowepro, Nikon, Tamrac) for carrying my camera gear in the great outdoors, IMHO the best possible rucksacks are from f-stop. The carrying system is fabulous, I can carry my cameras all day long with ease and when I get on a plane I can remove the ICU and put it in my f-stop wheeled hand luggage. It's a fantastic system. If you are into trekking, getting up mountains in all weathers this is the best you can buy http://fstopgear.com/. Advert over, and no, I don't work or get commission from f-stop :)
    Thanks for posting the web address. The link did not work but I did get to the web site to check out their bags.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    I fixed that link problem.
    Always learning.
  • tektradertektrader Posts: 58Member
    edited May 2015
    @ KnockKnock

I just bought a Think tank Retrospective 7 as well, I wanted something not too big that fits my 14-24, D800 with 24-120 attached, a few primes and a tablet. It works well and doesn't look too much like a camera bag as I bought the green fabric one. I am really liking it and the compact size is awesome. Messenger bags are the best solution for a smaller kit.

I have other bags like Lowe slingshot 202 AW sling bag ( hurts my shoulders) and a Lowe Vertex 300 (took it on holidays once, never again) for when I want to pack EVERYTHING in.
    Post edited by tektrader on
    looks nice.. sorry not much help .. seems a bit tall. wouldn’t a wider version be more comfortable around the waist?

I don't know, I'll find out when I get it.
    Looks OK for a compact fixed lens camera.

If I went to a smaller camera though, I would probably go for one bag to carry wallet, phone, keys and camera in as the rest of that stuff is not good stuffed in pockets.
    I carry that stuff in my pants pockets, I'd like to separate out my things. I guess you're a wealthy man then if you have trouble keeping a wallet in your pockets. :D

My wallet is fairly empty most of the time.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • KnockKnockKnockKnock Posts: 398Member
    @ KnockKnock

I just bought a Think tank Retrospective 7 as well, I wanted something not too big that fits my 14-24, D800 with 24-120 attached, a few primes and a tablet. It works well and doesn't look too much like a camera bag as I bought the green fabric one. I am really liking it and the compact size is awesome. Messenger bags are the best solution for a smaller kit.
    Excellent. We now are the Retro7 club. Good to hear it scales up if I start to get some bigger gear.

Cheers.

D7100, D60, 35mm f/1.8 DX, 50mm f/1.4, 18-105mm DX, 18-55mm VR II, Sony RX-100 ii
  • HammieHammie Posts: 258Member
    edited May 2015
    I use the original Crumpler 6 Million Dollar Home bag. It is the one without the velcro silencer and a single clasp in the center of the front flap.

Post edited by Hammie on
  • framerframer Posts: 491Member
    Having to carry as much as I could stuff into my glass taxi and walk all around DC for about 10 hours I'd give it two thumbs up. Yes I needed to take it off to change the outfit I was using but the comfort of the carry was great.

I had the D810 w/lens out of the bag most of the day, in the bag was 70-200vr+TC1.4E, 100F2DC, 17-35afs2.8, 50afs1.8, 16mm ai'd 3.5, 28mm ais 2.8, +memory card, couple filters and adapter rings, few small tools, cleaner stuff. I still had room for more stuff but if I did not see a need I left it in the hotel room. I also hooked a skin75 loaded w/three bottles of water. I only used the 50, 70-200, 17-35 and the TCw/70200 during the day.

framer
    Just an update on my earlier post- the Portland 20 fits the Sony RX100 pretty well. There's no need for an extra charger as it charges on USB. There's enough room for a few more SD cards, maybe a battery too. It's not too bulky if you put it on your belt, but it can catch on stuff if you're not careful. I thought it was the right size.
  • HammieHammie Posts: 258Member
    edited June 2015
    I forgot that I ordered this AmazonBasics DSLR and Laptop backpack months ago (it was on backorder). It arrived last night.

I have not had a chance to try it out with my gear yet.

Post edited by Hammie on
    Looks pretty handy if you are travelling light. One body, three or four lenses, flash, release etc. plus a tripod. Good.
    Always learning.
  • picturetedpictureted Posts: 153Member
    edited June 2015
    I like the Think Tank City Walker 10 for DX and 20 for FX. They don't have as much padding as some, but they aren't too thick and conform to your side when you carry them. Larger would become too heavy to carry for me. Construction is good and they have many useful features overall.

For other gear I like the Gura Gear Kiboko 22L. I wanted a backpack that was easy to open inside my car and the two zippered sides work well. Construction is superb, but the straps are a bit bulky, but they're well padded and comfortable.

A small Pelican for macro gear works well.
    Post edited by pictureted on
    pictureted at flickr