When do use those cumbersome three legged things

2»

Comments

• Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    edited December 2014
    I use them when ever I can. If the camera is not on it, maybe a speedlight is. I also use my two starter SunPak tripods from last decade as a backdrop holder when space is limited. I have a tripod for the iphone for timelapses you know.

I don't use a tripod when doing street photography as I'm usualy walking to cover much ground and for that I rather use a monopod.
    Post edited by Vipmediastar_JZ on
  • autofocusautofocus Posts: 625Member
    Well, I have 4 of them so you might say I use them. I use them more often for astrophotography. Also want to do some panos out in the wilderness. I've done handheld panos and they turned out ok but much easier on a tripod. I guess the hassle is just carrying the things.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I use them when ever I can. If the camera is not on it, maybe a speedlight is. I also use my two starter SunPak tripods from last decade as a backdrop holder when space is limited. I have a tripod for the iphone for timelapses you know.

I don't use a tripod when doing street photography as I'm usualy walking to cover much ground and for that I rather use a monopod.
    Monopod for street photography? Really? I would find that way to cumbersome and contrived for true street photography. :-/
    Always learning.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited December 2014
    A compromise in street photography is a lamppost or any stable surface which can be useful in extremely dim scenes. The issue is for me the attempt to capture the scene, people intact, which always seems to give me a need for a shutter speed above 1/100 sec, and in general, even a 200mm VR lens can handle this. Or, again, leaning against a stable object. In the street i like to shoot very quickly in most cases, negating any possibility for a tripod or monopod, IMO.

OK, now if the idea is a night street shot, lights important, tripod necessary for 20-30 second exposures.
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
    edited December 2014
    @spraynpray well I don't really use one for Street but if I needed Support I would use that instead. Sometimes I encounter fashion shows or other events where Support is needed. The good thing is that most of those events are scheduled and I know when to Bring the Support especially when using the 70-200 2.8 photographing a boxing tournament in a plaza can get tiring.

@msmoto I agree as I usually find artificial support. One of my Street daytime long exposures I used the ledge of a wall and let the camera take the 30+sec exposures.

Post edited by Vipmediastar_JZ on
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    In street photography I'm more likely to shoot from the hip than from a tripod/monopod. The subjects perception of being photographed adversely affects true street shots IMHO.
    Always learning.
    That would be good topic to start as I could benefit from that thread.

I do shoot from the hip at times but sometimes I do need to bring the camera to the eye depending on the lens that I have with me. My lens vary from 14mm to 200mm at any day depending on what I have in mind for that day or subject.

I actually did a "hip shot" with the 105mm. I was waiting for the street light to change when I noticed some smoke to the right of me. I quickly pointed the camera in that direction and captured a guy blowing smoke all while the camera was on my hip. I learned how to use a 35mm without looking at the viewfinder (waist level or on top of my messenger bag) and where to place the 50mm without looking at it either (chest level). I even bought some hot shoe flat levels to make sure the camera is leveled as much as possible.

I would use a tripod in street if I planned to capture a scene like a plaza and then merge all the photographs of people wearing a certain color or wearing boots, etc.. it has been in the past I just haven't done it myself. I would use a monopod to photograph the Ice skaters at the park or cyclists if I set myself in a spot with a good view of the bike lane and use the tele to get the candids or go for the reach.
    thanks I forgot about that thread.