Any new rumors?

Comments

• Parke1953Parke1953 Posts: 456Member
    What about the D40, D4/s. :-\"
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    I spend some time with the Nikon Regional Sales Representative this morning at my local dealer. I have known him for 2 years and we have developed mutual respect for each other. Here is a summary of key points from our discussion:
    a. I mentioned the leak on the new D5500. He said oh yea, it was posted on NRF. He has no info or knowledge of it but there are two shows (CES and the photo show in Feb) where all the new stuff will be released for the first half of 2015.
    b. The price on the D5300 will not drop over the next 60 days.
    c. The D7000 and D5200 have been discontinued. That was on the main blog this morning, so I was impressed that the Nikon representative said it without me asking.
    d. There are two new mirror less cameras coming in January, small form factor. Pre orders are being set-up now.
    e. There will be a full frame mirror less camera announced in January or February. Note he said camera not DSLR...so I asked and he said NO DSLR. He offered this info, I did not ask.
    f. Several new lens for mirror less cameras.
    g. Several updated consumer DX lens will be released.
    h. Back orders on MB-D16 battery pack for the D750 will continue for some time. Nikon does not understand the high interest in this "accessory". Nikon USA salesman have pushed hard on battery packs and Nikon continues to ignore the request that they could sell lots of them.

Asked what he would like to see in the future and he said an update to the 300mm F4 lens. He loves this length lens. I asked if he believes Nikon is working on it and his comment was "don't know!".

A lot of this we already knew but it was good to here it come from him. Expect we will see more leaks over the next month leading up to CES. Yes, I asked about the D7200 and he knows it's coming but no idea what improvements or price.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,287Member
    Wow, that's a lot of good news there. Hope your friend is a man of his word. :D
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    edited December 2014
    The D7200 is expected at the January CES. You can buy a refurbished D7100 for under $700 at Adorama.
    http://www.adorama.com/INKD7100R.html?utm_term=Other&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=Other&utm_source=rflaid21866&cvosrc=affiliate.21866

That is an excellent buy, especially when you consider a new body 2 months ago was just under $1100.
    Post edited by Photobug on
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    I spend some time with the Nikon Regional Sales Representative
    [...]
    d. There are two new mirror less cameras coming in January, small form factor. Pre orders are being set-up now.
    e. There will be a full frame mirror less camera announced in January or February. Note he said camera not DSLR...so I asked and he said NO DSLR. He offered this info, I did not ask.
    [...]
    Asked what he would like to see in the future and he said an update to the 300mm F4 lens. He loves this length lens. I asked if he believes Nikon is working on it and his comment was "don't know!".
    regarding "d":
    The 1J4 was D/C'd at some shops and there was a temporary $100 price drop, but that fire sale was halted....I bet there is a 1v4 and 1j5 on the horizon. I hope the 1v4 is a DX sensor, but not holding our breath.

regarding "e":
    A FF mirrorless??!! Here's hoping its not some coolpix iteration and is an ILC. I still think they should do a 1 series DX mirrorless first.

Regarding the 300 f4:
    My feeling are mixed on this lens. The shutter speed on the D7100 has to be crazy high to get sharp images leading to high ISOs which in turn degrades image quality. Adding VR will reduce image quality but allows for slower shutter speeds and lower ISOs increasing IQ LOL... hopefully in the end it will be worth it if Nikon doesn't do something crazy like double the price.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,745Member
    How is a DX sensor going to work with CX lenses?
    @manhattanboy said: regarding "d":
    The 1J4 was D/C'd at some shops and there was a temporary $100 price drop, but that fire sale was halted....I bet there is a 1v4 and 1j5 on the horizon. I hope the 1v4 is a DX sensor, but not holding our breath.
    Agree its going to be a 1v4 or 1jS but not a DX sensor. That is my thoughts.

@manhattanboy said: regarding "e": regarding "e":
    A FF mirrorless??!! Here's hoping its not some coolpix iteration and is an ILC. I still think they should do a 1 series DX mirrorless first.
    His comment to me was this is NOT a guess. They have a commitment from Nikon Product Manager for a FF mirrorless. I asked a couple of questions and he clammed up and smiled. Although a lot of us would love to see a FX mirrorless DSLR I don't see it happening. My hunch it will be a 1 series or a Coolpix model. If it's the Coolpix option they blew it...so it has to be a 1 Series model. Or they are going to shock everyone and introduce a FX mirrowless DSLR.
    We won't have to wait to long for either of the above.

Regarding the 300mm F4. Hope your right that Nikon doesn't do something "stupid" and double the cost. Even the Nikon Representative made a similar statement. I just moved to FX except plan to use my D7100 for anything longer than 200mm. I hear what your saying on the IQ having to push the ISO up. I really need to fill in that gap but don't want to buy a new 300 F4 and a few months later an upgrade is released. I have the money budgeted for March next year and may delay to see if the rumor mill picks up on this lens. One thing for sure, I am NOT going to do the "waiting game" like I did for the D400 & then D9300. I am happy with the D7100, no its limitations, and still in love with my 3 week old D750.
    I really don't see the point of a mirrorless DSLR. One flick of a switch and my D800 is a mirrorless DSLR. If they are going to do that right, they should throw out the F-mount and start from scratch.
  • calengorcalengor Posts: 277Member
    By definition, mirrorless is not DSLR (Digital Single Lens Reflex). This is because there is no mirror to give the reflection (reflex). So him saying "camera, not DSLR" doesn't mean that it won't be an interchangeable lens system, because interchangeable lens is not what SLR is about, but rather the mirror and prism.
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,692Member
    When Nikon produces a mirrorless FX and DX body we can expect it to have the F mount and be a thinner body since there won't be a mirror box. Likely there will be a spacer like an extension tube to allow use of all old DX and FX lenses. Nikon will probably also produce a new line of lenses designed specifically for the mirrorless bodies.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    When Nikon produces a mirrorless FX and DX body we can expect it to have the F mount and be a thinner body since there won't be a mirror box. Likely there will be a spacer like an extension tube to allow use of all old DX and FX lenses. Nikon will probably also produce a new line of lenses designed specifically for the mirrorless bodies.
    Yes. +1 Makes no sense for them to do anything else.
    Always learning.
    edited December 2014
    I think in that event it will be FX. Anything smaller risks consumers perceiving the CX as good enough.

Personally, I would love to see them start with a medium format sensor with an initial line of landscape lenses. Start with a low production capacity to reflect that the original market is small and prices will start out high. This is a space where mirrorless can truly excel.

Then as auto-focus gets better and sensor prices continue to decline, they can expand the range, particularly to longer focal lengths.
    Post edited by WestEndFoto on
    By definition, mirrorless is not DSLR (Digital Single Lens Reflex). This is because there is no mirror to give the reflection (reflex). So him saying "camera, not DSLR" doesn't mean that it won't be an interchangeable lens system, because interchangeable lens is not what SLR is about, but rather the mirror and prism.
    Dah...I was in a hurry. I was thinking DSLR and forgetting that you can have interchangeable lens in other form factors. Thanks for pointing out that mistake. Any way it's going to be interesting to see how small/large the body will be.
  • kenadamskenadams Posts: 222Member
    Photobug, you expect us to believe a sales rep, who has no info on a low-level consumer camera being introduced shortly, to spill the beans on something that could potentially shake the market, re: FF mirrorless by Nikon, months after that??

Hmm.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited December 2014
    e. sounds like a coolpix A with FX sensor. maybe thats why there has been a price drop.
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    I am still waiting for the DM-1 FX Mirrorless......
    Msmoto, mod
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,692Member
    Photobug, you expect us to believe a sales rep, who has no info on a low-level consumer camera being introduced shortly, to spill the beans on something that could potentially shake the market, re: FF mirrorless by Nikon, months after that??

Hmm.
    I don't think he expects us to believe anything. He heard the information and he is reporting it.

What would we all think if he didn't report it?

Now if he made it up, that is a different story. But I take Photobug at his word.

Photobug, do you think there is a chance that he knows you are on Nikon Rumours and he planted it to spread his own rumour, or see what you would report?
    edited December 2014
    Photobug, you expect us to believe a sales rep, who has no info on a low-level consumer camera being introduced shortly, to spill the beans on something that could potentially shake the market, re: FF mirrorless by Nikon, months after that?? Hmm.
    I don't think he expects us to believe anything. He heard the information and he is reporting it.
    What would we all think if he didn't report it?
    Now if he made it up, that is a different story. But I take Photobug at his word.

Thank you @WestEndFoto. That is exactly what I was doing with no embellishment. The typical salesman won't talk about new products but I have had both the Tamron and this Nikon representative tell me things before the introductions. I knew about the 150-600mm Tamron lens before the official announcement and then before the official release date and the fact that they started with the Canon lens. The Nikon representative has also has told me about new products before they were announced. I shared the information and time will tell if the representative was correct.

Photobug, do you think there is a chance that he knows you are on Nikon Rumours and he planted it to spread his own rumour, or see what you would report?
    He actually asked me earlier this year if I followed NRF and I told him yes. Did he remember I am a NRF member, good question. I know he has a good memory because he calls me by my first name when I approach his sales table. His he using me to plant this on NRF...I hope not.
    Post edited by Photobug on
    See the main blog for the D7200 rumor specs. I am opening a new forum on the D7200 rather than post info here. Leave this for new rumors on any Nikon product.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,287Member
    See the main blog for the D7200 rumor specs. I am opening a new forum on the D7200 rather than post info here. Leave this for new rumors on any Nikon product.
    Sounds like so far you're right on the money.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • rmprmp Posts: 586Member
    I hate the weight of my D4: but I love the low light capability. I will order a FF mirrorless ICL camera with the D4s sensor (or better) the day it comes out. (Nikon, are you reading this?) :))
    Robert M. Poston: D4, D810, V3, 14-24 F2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 80-400, 105 macro.
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member

They have a commitment from Nikon Product Manager for a FF mirrorless.
    Kudos on this call... seeing the patent on the FF mirrorless, it appears that Nikon is indeed going that route.
    So much for all of our legacy Nikon Lenses.... money down the drain LOL.
    I hate the weight of my D4: but I love the low light capability. I will order a FF mirrorless ICL camera with the D4s sensor (or better) the day it comes out. (Nikon, are you reading this?) :))
    The now $2K Df should get you to the D4 sensor in a lighter body...buts that's not what you really wanted is it?
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    Re FF lenses on mirrorless.

Not money down the drain. I use all my lenses on my mirror-less now.

If nikon does give us a mirrorless FF then I would say they would also give us full functionality of all their lenses on that camera..
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

Man I am so excited about reading about the new 300mm F4. I budgeted for the lens, RRS collar, and filter for Q2 next year. Now if Nikon doesn't kill us with a huge price increase, I am going to pre order when it is announced.
    I just reread my most from 12/12/14 with my conversation with the Nikon Regional representative. I wonder if he knew or not.