Nikon New AF-S NIKKOR 300mm f/4E PF ED VR

Comments

• PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    edited March 2015
    @Photobug:
    That flickr link is talking about the OLD 300 F4D lens being not compatible with the D750 and the TC14, but isn't this thread about the new 300 F4E PF lens?
    Or am I missing something??
    Ouch, I missed that key point. Sorry about that. I read the last part and skimmed through the earlier post. Dah my mistake. Baldy, it's still relevant info for compatibility of the older model with the D750. Thanks for catching this mistake.
    Post edited by Photobug on
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    Nasim's Review here
    Excellent, thanks for posting the link to the review. I read the entire review and checked all the images. It looks good and is still on my list for this year. One step down and two to go (DxO Mark & Popular Photography review)>

I plan on checking back as he post more images and test results from more samples.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member

I plan on checking back as he post more images and test results from more samples.
    All of his samples were at 1/400 or faster. Still think people are expecting miracles out of this lens.
    It was released by Nikon, not Steve Jobs LOL.
    Its a great lens and I don't regret buying it for a second. As I've stated before, I am thinking about a second copy to allow for a dual camera FX/DX set up but will probably wait until Nikon releases a D500 or a higher MP DX camera.
  • funtagraphfuntagraph Posts: 265Member
    @manhattanboy Good, you named Steve Jobs instead of "Apple". Because, if it's Apple I'd expected the VR or other problems :>

Nasim tried the VR on his copy and didn't see problems around the critical shutter speeds. So, it has to be once again the "early adopter punishment". Oh, and @Photobug: You also read the bit about the TC 17II, don't you :D
    Just talked to the Nikon guy, because I need a lens like this for an Easter-event. He confirmed, it's only a matter of firmware and no mechanical parts involved. So maybe it was coincidentally, the failure of the DC-DC-converter and had another reason. Anyway, they expect this firmware in app. 2 weeks from now.

He also said, it's difficult to find the cause of this failure, it doens't happen with all lenses, only at certain apertures and under certain circumstances. That's what he said. I didn't have much trouble to provoke this double silhouettes. Anyway, I'll get another lens for that occasion, maybe a 80-400
  • Dominique_RDominique_R Posts: 27Member
    That is good news, Funtagraph. My only question is, Why don't they go public about it, since it is so minor? It would be so reassuring for everyone if it were "made policy", so to speak"...

Well, I keep my fingers crossed anyway, as my copy should arrive tomorrow or the day after (’bout the same day as my Zeiss 2/135!).

All of his samples were at 1/400 or faster. Still think people are expecting miracles out of this lens.
    It was released by Nikon, not Steve Jobs LOL.
    Its a great lens and I don't regret buying it for a second. As I've stated before, I am thinking about a second copy to allow for a dual camera FX/DX set up but will probably wait until Nikon releases a D500 or a higher MP DX camera.
    It looks like your in for a long long long wait if your not going to buy the second lens until after the D500 is released. LoL
    For those waiting to pull the plug;
    B&H still shows preorder at $1996.95
    Adorama selling them at $1996.95 with 2% rebate and includes a bundle (filter & cleaning kit) and showing backorder

Knowing these two leaders, I would expect B&H to match the 2% rebate. After all that $39.94 in future credit.
    I have received my copy yesterday. I *think* it is immune from the VR problem (but if Nikon issue a firmware patch, I will apply it nonetheless), but I cannot say that I'm thrilled by the IQ, which seems quite a bit below the pictures I've seen here and there that are supposedly SOOC.

(The Zeiss 2/135, on the other hand, is an absolute joy!)
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Quality control issues simply seem to be a fact of life for new products, partially ones made in China. I'm strongly considering switching to this lens, but the quality control issues mentioned here, and other forums are really making me hesitate.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    After further testing, I confirm that my copy also suffers from the VR issue, albeit in a limited manner. Lack of sharpness kicks in by 1/100th until 1/160th. It is gone at 1/200th. Otherwise, no front- nor backfocus, and the lens is quite sharp indeed, and a pleasure to use. Haven't tried the 1.4x TC III yet.

I will see how my retailer (a Nikon Pro Premium Center dealer) wants to deal with this.
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    I was lucky enough to have a real play with this lens at the Nikon stand in Birmingham. two immediate points i noticed was size/weight and speed of focus, sorry that three points. Can see this lens effecting 300 2.8VR sales.
    Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits
    I have sent my NEFs to Nikon France, at their request... Now I wait...
  • JonMcGuffinJonMcGuffin Posts: 312Member
    I have sent my NEFs to Nikon France, at their request... Now I wait...
    Nikon really needs to get the issue regarding the poor image/double image quality addressed/fixed with VR. This is absolutely a lens on the radar but I just can't see spending $2000 on a lens that is delivered with issues that are frankly right at the sweet spot of where you'd want to be shooting shutter speed wise while VR is engaged. Hard to imagine QC wouldn't have caught this. I would understand if it's something that was an issue in the 1/2000th+ range but come on, it HAD to be tested extensively in this speed range.
    Official information from Nikon Europe, communicated to me by Nikon France (see this web page: https://nikoneurope-fr.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/64274):

The problem is acknowledged. It happens only when the 300-4 PF is used with the D800, D800E and D810. A firmware update is now available that will "limit the problem from occurring" (not "prevent"), but in order to do so, the lens need be returned to Nikon after-sales service (free shipping).

Lenses with a serial number equal to or higher than 205101 have had this update applied to them already.
    @Dominque_R, did they tell you when the firmware will become available? I was told "mid of April" which was this night :) So hopefully I'll get the lens back this week, otherwise I have to continuous with my new P900 and it's 2000 mm equivalent zoom in solid JPG :D

Funtagraph, the firmware apparently IS available as of now. Estimated processing time is between one and two weeks.
    Well, my lens is already at the Nikon service. On DPReview I read Nikon pays only way of shipping (return to owner). The way I see it, this has nothing to do with a luxury problem of the owner or an owner-caused malfunction. Anybody else also finding this unfair? Obvioulsy the prototype testing was far from being perfect, an now they want the early adopters pay additional costs? What kind of company is that?
  • phk84phk84 Posts: 10Member
    Mine is affected by the problem, and it was officially anounced on Nikons support site here in Sweden this week.
    I contacted the support center and thay are sending med the documents i need for free shipping to the supportcenter. So they will take care of shipping both ways.
    They said that the turnaround time would normally be 1-2 weeks, but since i'm an NPU they will give it priority, and it will be quicker.
    I think it seems they are dealing with this properly, anyone can make a mistake, but as long as the take care of it in a proper way, i´m fine with that.
    Nikon D810, MB-D12, Nikon AF-S 20/1,8G ED, AF-S 58/1,4G, AF-S 105/2,8G IF ED VR Micro, AF-S 300/4,0 E PF ED VR, AF-S TC-20E III 2x, Nikon SB-910, Nikon R1C1, Sirui T-2205X+G-20KX carbon, Billingham 555.
    In general, I agree with "anyone can make a mistake". It's just, Nikon already has gathered a nice collection of mistakes, issues, finish the camera in the service-joint the past three years. Can't see, how they generate benefit with all those fire-drills.

Together with constantly more complicated functions, wildly growing menus, obviously impossible to test all combinations of hundreds of settings and together with increasing prices I start to compare with very basic, simple cameras. It's no wonder, people turn their back to those high-end beta products and use an iPhone to get as good or better (because it's faster ready to shoot unprepared) pictures. Yesterday I decided to complete my set of Sigma DP 1, 2 and 3 Merrill and ordered a DP2 M, those three cameras cost with lenses less than half of a D810 without any lens. At base ISO, those old fellas out resolve each contemporary FF DSLR around. What I also like very much on them are the elegant yet simple menus and only few buttons which do everything I need to adjust.

I highly doubt, if an increasing complexity of those high-end DSLR systems with all the issues found in the past three years, will help them to sell more? Today I saw a Canon XC 10, a 4k movie cam with 12 MP stills mode, 10× zoom, touchscreen with a loupe, tiltable grip, tiltable display, focus peaking, included remote control - pretty complete package, compact, performing and with some interesting ideas in. I look at Nikon's website, same same as yesterday and a year before…

Seven years after Canon put the first fresnel element in a lens Nikon comes up with such a useful, sharp and lightweight glass. And they mess up the VR? Their own VR? A lens made for HR sensor, malfunctioning with the bodies around those sensors? Great joke. The blur is that obvious, I just fail to believe nobody saw that in all those "field tests". Those were Nikon ambassadors - shame on you, guys. My lens is now spending a month with them. Bought it 2 ½ months ago and no sharp pictures out of it when in front of my D810? Value? Quality? Reliability?
    Well, my lens is already at the Nikon service. On DPReview I read Nikon pays only way of shipping (return to owner). The way I see it, this has nothing to do with a luxury problem of the owner or an owner-caused malfunction. Anybody else also finding this unfair? Obvioulsy the prototype testing was far from being perfect, an now they want the early adopters pay additional costs? What kind of company is that?
    Does that mean you paid for the cost to send it back to Nikon? I am surprised. That is not consistent with my experience for gear under warranty.

• Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    maybe the QC people didnt test the lens on the D8X series. It seems that the issue lays with that model only.
    @Vipmediastar Not to test a new lens with the best and latest high res bodies they currently have to offer… you really think they didn't want to know how the lens performs on highest MP count? Or they switched off VR and used tripods only. Was looking for the list of recommended lenses for D800E, but that's an old one and the 300/4 PF E isn't in the list (neither the 50/1.4G, but the 50/1.8G is in).

@Photobug read Nikon's statement.

We have confirmed that when the AF-S NIKKOR 300mm f/4E PF ED VR lens is used with the D800, D800E, D810 or D810A, images captured at shutter speeds of around 1/125 s with the VR function enabled (NORMAL or SPORT) sometimes exhibit noticeable blur.

To address the occurrence of this, we are offering a service for updating your AF-S NIKKOR 300mm f/4E PF ED VR firmware.

When cameras other than the D800, D800E, D810, or D810A are used, this firmware update is not needed.

Users of the D800, D800E, D810, or D810A who are concerned about this issue may take or send their lens to a Nikon authorized service center, where your lens firmware will be updated free of charge.

When sending your AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4 E PF ED VR lens to a Nikon authorized service center, the user must pay the cost of shipping to the service center, and Nikon will pay for return shipping.

Firmware for lenses with a serial number of 205101 or later has already been updated.

I sent the lens in together with the likewise "faulty" D750 - and for that body I had a paid shipping document. For the lens, there's none.

• phk84phk84 Posts: 10Member
    I got my prepaid shipping documents yesterday.
    Nikon D810, MB-D12, Nikon AF-S 20/1,8G ED, AF-S 58/1,4G, AF-S 105/2,8G IF ED VR Micro, AF-S 300/4,0 E PF ED VR, AF-S TC-20E III 2x, Nikon SB-910, Nikon R1C1, Sirui T-2205X+G-20KX carbon, Billingham 555.