Nikon New AF-S NIKKOR 300mm f/4E PF ED VR

Comments

• manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    Had some time to shoot a bird against the sun as requested with the new 300 and 810. Will try to upload this weekend when I make it to a computer. Still very impressed with group AF. Dropped the shutter speed to less than a thousand, hopefully the pics are still sharp but need screen time to be sure.
  • Dominique_RDominique_R Posts: 27Member
    @ Photobug
    Thanks for your message and for your welcome. I have been following NR for several years, but only yesterday did I feel the need to ask a question on the forum, because I'm very much undecided regarding the new 300/4 PF lens. The fact that it can't be found anywhere in Europe and that Nikon are not giving us any news updates, only adds to my confusion, hence the advice I am seeking on the forum from other shooters who may use the same kind of lenses as I, and who may also have tried the new 300.

Basically, my question is, In terms of IQ, is it up there with the best, or at least can it creep up there with a little post-processing nudge, or is it only "very good, but not quite up there"? In the latter case, I may have to make do with the reach of the 70-200 plus 1.4x TC, and wait until, maybe, a better product comes from Sigma, as they seem to be getting really good with prime lenses.

I do know and follow Nasim's website, and in fact it's the article you point to that convinced me to buy a 1.4x TC III, and resell my II version, because I figured the TC would be a nice addition to the 300/4 PF... if and when...
  • 4thebirds4thebirds Posts: 27Member
    I really wonder why so few of these lenses have shipped.

In the meantime, while Nikon keeps us guessing, here are a couple more favorable reviews:

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/nikon-af-s-nikkor-300mm-f-4e-pf-ed-vr-lens-review-27097
    http://www.nikonjin.com/2015/03/nikon-afs-300mm-f4e-pf-ed-vr-lens-review/

Dave
    I really wonder why so few of these lenses have shipped.

In the meantime, while Nikon keeps us guessing, here are a couple more favorable reviews:

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/nikon-af-s-nikkor-300mm-f-4e-pf-ed-vr-lens-review-27097
    http://www.nikonjin.com/2015/03/nikon-afs-300mm-f4e-pf-ed-vr-lens-review/

Dave
    People are still shooting too slow with this lens.
    Look at this pic from that review: image
    The cars are slightly blurry.

That said, I do love this new lens. The size and weight are stunning, and the IQ is probably just as good as the old 300 f4 (which outresolved the 200-400) but seems a tad softer for most of my pics probably because of a slow shutter speed that I now use with VR. Something at 1/500 and above seems to give great results.
    edited March 2015
    Glad to hear that you like the lens. I think that particular photo above was at ISO 100 and stopped down to f/16 in order to "prove" that the VR would work at 1/15th second hand-held. That is sort of a contrived test and I don't think most of us would use those settings for a shot like this in real life. But the details don't look too bad to me... I mean some of those cars may be moving, so what do you expect at 1/15 second?
    Dave
    Post edited by 4thebirds on
    edited March 2015
    I have been traveling so don't have much time but posted a pic in the dog thread.
    Someone wanted 100% crops into the sun. Terrible shooting like that but here you go.
    There is no more flare than with other lenses like this, but there is a B&W filter out front (which is a necessity for DO-like lenses to prevent stray light from entering and blowing out the scene IMHO).
    Post edited by manhattanboy on
  • funtagraphfuntagraph Posts: 265Member
    edited March 2015
    I think the short supply is because Nikon realized the VR causes problems. After 5 days I still have no answer from Nikon service. Usually they reply if it's a "piece of cake" but here I expect another edition of Nikon's hobby: Throwing products on the market without fully testing.

As for "people shooting too slow with this lens": If Nikon claims a VR capable of 4 stops, I basically trust them. And at 1/60 the VR shows his capabilities. But with my own experience with the lens, I stopped using it. I really don't want to check constantly if the shutter speed is in the current taboo zone or not.

Meanwhile I've seen some samples of the Sigma 150-600 Sport not worse than what I can get out of 300 PF (doesn't mean others can't get more out of it). Resolutionwise I know it can do great. I just don't see it doing great often enough. I'm looking forward to my own comparison of those lenses. So far I have to say lightweight and small size - yes, but the downsides can't be ignored easily at the moment. Hopefully they can fix it.
    Post edited by funtagraph on
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    Heres to hoping. Its great that you can compare both sigma and the 300. Ill probably resume BIF in june and by then hopefully there is a resolution even if its a sigma or tamron 150-600. Keep us posted with your findings and test shots.
  • haroldpharoldp Posts: 984Member
    The comparison I am most interested in is to the nikon 80-400 g, with and without Tc-14eiii on the 300/4.
    My primary BIF lens is 400/2.8vr with tc-20eiii (tripod mounted) but I carry an 80-400 on another body for when things get closer (never know when you will be charged by a rogue heron).

Lighter would be welcome.

....H
    D810, D3x, 14-24/2.8, 50/1.4D, 24-70/2.8, 24-120/4 VR, 70-200/2.8 VR1, 80-400 G, 200-400/4 VR1, 400/2.8 ED VR G, 105/2 DC, 17-55/2.8.
    Nikon N90s, F100, F, lots of Leica M digital and film stuff.

Just got a phone call from Nikon Switzerland: The double contours, caused by the faulty VR, are confirmed to be a "minor issue" (I'm not quoting the supporter, just a bit sarcastic). They will get a firmware patch which they expect to be releaased Mid of April. Looking forward to get sharp pictures at least two months after spending quite some money for this lens. Right, they disappointed me. But I'm certain, after a while using it I will forget about this flaw.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    edited March 2015
    Positive review of the new 300mm PF by Denis Rule with good model shots.

Post edited by Photobug on
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    There has been no mention of any defective copy returned to Nikon France for service.

Today I have ordered my copy from the one single French dealer that has been receiving copies of the lens one at a time. The guy did carry out the tests I asked him to (1/125th and 1/160th), apparently there's no issue. I'll keep my fingers crossed until I receive it next week and test it myself.
    That's a bit weird to me: If the lens needs firmware update and that update is available maybe around mid May - which firmware did they put on non-affected lenses? That must be ready to upload to the lens, so why don't they install it on mine?
  • phk84phk84 Posts: 10Member
    edited March 2015
    I have had mine for almost two months now, unfourtunatley, due to work, i have not had the time i would have wanted to really try it out. But so far i find it extreamly sharp and easy to handle. I have not noticed any VR problems, but if there is a problem i wouid think mine would be affected since it´s an early production, however if a new firmware is coming i´m sure it will fix it.
    Post edited by phk84 on
    Nikon D810, MB-D12, Nikon AF-S 20/1,8G ED, AF-S 58/1,4G, AF-S 105/2,8G IF ED VR Micro, AF-S 300/4,0 E PF ED VR, AF-S TC-20E III 2x, Nikon SB-910, Nikon R1C1, Sirui T-2205X+G-20KX carbon, Billingham 555.
    Unfortunately, not everything can be fixed in post by firmware. IMHO, there would be no reason to slow down the supply so much if Nikon didn't fear some physical defect. If they were convinced it was something easy to fix by firmware, they would have already issued an acknowledging and reassuring statement, instead of remaining so silent and clamping down on the supply. I wouldn't be surprised if they physically tested every unit they release, one by one... That would explain the feeble trickle.
    edited March 2015
    I got this off the D750 web site from a D750 owner who bought the 300mm PF VR and his problem. He has posted updates. Here is the root cause and corrective action.
    "We found a Nikon technical memo explaining this problem and the procedure for modifying the lens. This tech memo has been out for a while but a revision to it was made this week. The modification consists of replacing the DC/DC converter circuit board in the lens with a newly modified one."

Here is the link to the thread on this topic:
    www.flickr.com/groups/2682619@N24/discuss/72157647884559639/

No wonder there is such a long delay on this lens. Each lens has to be opened up and the DC converter circuit board replaced.
    Post edited by Photobug on
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    "DC/DC converter" ??
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

@Photobug
    The link to Flickr did not work for me.
    I think the lens works pretty well, but I would never shoot it in the danger zone that everyone is complaining about.
    Like everything else Nikon probably underestimated the demand for this lens.
    Would not mind having mine serviced though.
    After the old 300afs had nikon engineering adjustments that thing is as sharp as a razor.
    edited March 2015
    Okay, I'm confused now.

Photobug found a report that someone found a "Nikon technical memo" that seems to indicate the VR problem is a hardware issue.

funtagraph reported above that Nikon Switzerland says the VR issue will be fixed by a firmware update.

Nikon keeps too many damn secrets! Remaining silent for weeks on end and leaving us all to speculate is just stupid. I always feel like Nikon is a million miles away from me, in outer space. Any business school flunkie would agree that is no way to treat your customers...

Dave
    Post edited by 4thebirds on
    @Photobug
    The link to Flickr did not work for me.
    I think the lens works pretty well, but I would never shoot it in the danger zone that everyone is complaining about.
    Like everything else Nikon probably underestimated the demand for this lens.
    Would not mind having mine serviced though.
    After the old 300afs had nikon engineering adjustments that thing is as sharp as a razor.
    Try copy and paste it into your browser. I tried several tricks but could not get a link to work for me. First time I have encountered this on NRF.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    "DC/DC converter" ??
    Just a wild guess, but the VR likely runs at a different voltage than the camera battery puts out. Find me a schematic for the lens and we can confirm ;-)
    edited March 2015
    @4thebirds I didn't say, it's "only" a firmware patch ;) The person on the phone was much more interested in wether I want the lens returned with the body and send it in again than to explain what went wrong (again) with that design. I don't think, their service people are wasting time with customer phone calls and didn't had the feeling the guy could get me technical correct answers.
    But if they have to change hardware as well, I'd think, even if they had the firmware today it would be pointless to update it as long as crashing hardware remains in the lens? Either way, this thing has a really bad start here. Shitty VR and possibly more than a month away for repair while there's absolutely no status update in the useless "Nikonrepair.net" account. It's not exactly the way customers love to be threated.
    Post edited by funtagraph on
  • bald_eaglebald_eagle Posts: 104Member
    edited March 2015
    @Photobug:
    That flickr link is talking about the OLD 300 F4D lens being not compatible with the D750 and the TC14, but isn't this thread about the new 300 F4E PF lens?
    Or am I missing something??
    Cheers,
    Baldy ;)
    Post edited by bald_eagle on
    @4thebirds I didn't say, it's "only" a firmware patch ;) The person on the phone was much more interested in wether I want the lens returned with the body and send it in again than to explain what went wrong (again) with that design. I don't think, their service people are wasting time with customer phone calls and didn't had the feeling the guy could get me technical correct answers.
    But if they have to change hardware as well, I'd think, even if they had the firmware today it would be pointless to update it as long as crashing hardware remains in the lens? Either way, this thing has a really bad start here. Shitty VR and possibly more than a month away for repair while there's absolutely no status update in the useless "Nikonrepair.net" account. It's not exactly the way customers love to be threated.
    funtagraph: Understood. You're sense that the customer service rep on the phone wasn't able to provide useful technical information is the same impression I had, the few times I have "contacted Nikon." It's frustrating to still be guessing what is going on, but we probably need to be patient and not blow this "VR issue" out of proportion. Many people who actually have the lens are reporting it is not a big deal.
    Dave