I AM ADVANCING What do you want?

Comments

• IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Intervalometer? Either in camera, or external. If you have an external trigger (promote, aperture, etc...) they can all hold the shutter open as long as you'd like. It would be nice if the internal intervalometer would allow extended bulb time.
  • NoXiNNoXiN Posts: 123Member
    Lots of good ideas here. Two features I can think of, even thought I'm not sure they can be done by a sole firmware update is to have the ability to select two focus points and have the camera determine the best point between them and aperture to only have them in focus. I know this will pretty much only work with close focus points, but think it would be helpful.

The other would be to have a variable iso at the sensor. say the over exposed area gets dropped down and an under exposed area gets pushed up.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited January 2015
    These are great ideas and they are a real reason why they should allow for open source access. eg a scripting engine where we can write our own features.
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• funtagraphfuntagraph Posts: 265Member
    At first I don't think Nikon will give up their regency about their own frmware. How, for instance, would the service deal with customized firmware? How would they react, if you put a bug in it? Not many of us are experienced firmware programmers - do you think the few capable of doing it would do a perfectly better job? And the crash test dummy being my own camera, if I fry it - shut happens?

No, not my cup of tea - even if I could do so, I will never have the full informations from Nikon. I rather prefer a professionally programmed firmware from the manufacturer which comes tested on their bodies at their risk. They know their stuff. Anybody else has to learn it. At some costs.

I also would prefer if I could leave away some bits of the firmware because I'd expect a better overview and a faster workflow when changing settings. And other, extended settings I'm willing to pay for. I recall Minolta with some kind of memory sticks. Hmm, Minolta is history, but I doubt the memory stick dug their grave.
    I think you are underestimating the open source community.. check out Cyanogen, MintLinux, Gimp, Firefox, Apache, Perl, Python...

and what we only need is the SDK. the core firmware can stay with Nikon. Give us a way to interface with the firmware.. we can write the plugins.
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

THAT I believe - but can you also guarantee these plugins will not interfere with the core or damage the camera? You know, you're asking for something like the design rules for AF modules and the lens' drives parameters. If I were Nikon, I'd let you wait and just hand out old firmware of elder bodies. If I'd manufacture cameras, I'd never let outsiders fool around with the firmware, the risks are higher than any gain.
    edited January 2015
    we kind of have it already... see all the opensource remote control software. I am saying give us an on board method to control the camera instead of remote controlling it from another device(phone, notepad)
    Post edited by heartyfisher on

Sorry, for "give us" requests, please address at Nikon ;) Maybe as well for a test body. Do have fun, I'm just not interested in OpenSource camera firmware
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I am not sure that Nikon make SDK's available for all cameras. They did a while back, but I think there are exceptions now.
    Always learning.
  • Parke1953Parke1953 Posts: 456Member
    Does anyone know if Nikon is going to kick off with these updates tomorrow?
  • Carerra911Carerra911 Posts: 17Member
    I would love to be able to crop the frame to any measurement eg, 2500x500 so I can see how I'm framing, so
    if a client needs that specific photo size, so I can see my composition straight away, instead of picturing it in my head and then cropping in post, all you do is dial in the size and black borders appear or red lines, easy and can be done
  • fireweedfireweed Posts: 1Member
    RE SDK's from https://sdk.nikonimaging.com/apply/

D750 14/11/12
    D810 14/09/04
    D4S 14/05/16
    D5300 14/01/23
    Df 14/01/23
    D610 13/11/19
    D7100 13/04/23
    D5200 13/01/22
    D4 12/10/16
    D600 12/10/16
    D800/D800E 12/04/10
    D5100 11/06/07
    D3 11/02/22
    D300 11/02/22
    D300S 11/02/22
    D3S 11/02/22
    D3X 11/02/22
    D700 11/02/22
    D7000 10/12/21
    D90 10/02/17
    D5000 09/06/25
    D40 08/04/04
    D60 08/04/04
    D200 07/07/30
    D80 07/07/30
    NEF (RAW) files
    We are offering Library Programs and File Format information for opening NEF files (RAW images) captured with a Nikon digital-SLR camera from a software application.
    NEF(RAW) SDK 14/11/12
    Film scanners
    We are offering Library Programs and Command API Specifications for software applications that offer functions for controlling Nikon film scanners connected to a computer.
    When these are utilized, the software application can be used to control various scanner operations, including modifying scan settings, applying autofocus features, scanning film, and saving scanned images.
    SUPER COOLSCAN 5000 ED 03/12/17
    SUPER COOLSCAN 9000 ED 03/12/1
    @fireweed - that's good news. Maybe now Camranger can add the D750 Nikon controls.
    Always learning.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,444Member
    Well it seems not a rumor but to be anounced late this weeek ..prepare to be disapointed !!!
    No announcement? I'm getting worried?
  • korgmatosekorgmatose Posts: 3Member
    I would also like the whole bracket set to complete with just one press of the shutter button a la Canon.
    My d5100 will do this with the shutter set to continues. Just take your finger of the button after the proper number of exposures.
    Nikons all do that, which is the problem. The Canon system is that one short press of the button will do the whole set so if you set exposure delay mode to say 2s you can press and release the button and remove your hand from the camera to avoid any possible movement before the sequence starts.
    Can't you use the built-in intervalometer? When I have bracket set I can just select the intervalometer in the menu and press start, it will take a delay and then run through the entire bracket set, then stop...
    I would also like the whole bracket set to complete with just one press of the shutter button a la Canon.
    My d5100 will do this with the shutter set to continues. Just take your finger of the button after the proper number of exposures.
    Nikons all do that, which is the problem. The Canon system is that one short press of the button will do the whole set so if you set exposure delay mode to say 2s you can press and release the button and remove your hand from the camera to avoid any possible movement before the sequence starts.
    Can't you use the built-in intervalometer? When I have bracket set I can just select the intervalometer in the menu and press start, it will take a delay and then run through the entire bracket set, then stop...
    The D810 does it in sequence
    @korgmatose: What a frig! all that fiddling just to get the same result as Canon do automatically! There is no good reason to have to hold the button down when bracketing really, is there? I get round it by using a locking cable release. Mind you I think it is ridiculous to have to flap the mirror around during bracketing too. It should be that you selecting bracket selects MUP and exposure delay of one second, and you select continuous shutter release then one touch of the shutter and the mirror should lift and stay up until the last exposure has ended really.

@Carerra911: So what exactly does the D810 do? It isn't totally clear from your comment.
    Always learning.
  • tektradertektrader Posts: 58Member
    I want Group focus and multi point micro focus adjustment on the D800...
  • neostylesneostyles Posts: 8Member
    hmm could we get slow mo video? 120fps or 240? I wouldnt mind if the video resolution had to be dropped to 360p but it would be amazing xD This would really help to set nikon apart because most slow mo cameras are very expensive and if there could be some limited slo mo capability in nikon's lineup it would get everyone talking. :D

What about new video codecs such as avchd or prores? Exposure smoothing for the d600?
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    The V3 does up to 1200fps, so we know the expeed processor can do it.
    edited January 2015
    @korgmatose: What a frig! all that fiddling just to get the same result as Canon do automatically! There is no good reason to have to hold the button down when bracketing really, is there? I get round it by using a locking cable release. Mind you I think it is ridiculous to have to flap the mirror around during bracketing too. It should be that you selecting bracket selects MUP and exposure delay of one second, and you select continuous shutter release then one touch of the shutter and the mirror should lift and stay up until the last exposure has ended really.

@Carerra911: So what exactly does the D810 do? It isn't totally clear from your comment.
    You set up a 5 shot bracket in a D810 put it on self timer, press the button and the D810 will take the whole sequence of shots for you
    Post edited by Carerra911 on
    I AM ADVANCING What do you want? What do I want? I want this to not be a hoax because I am salivating over the raw histogram. If it is a hoax, I'll be seriously fed-up.
    Always learning.
    I would like to see higher video bitrates and maybe even better noise reduction in video
    edited January 2015
    I think it would be really cool if nikon added some more codec choices. In fact, this would probably be my #1 request. What about letting us choose avchd or even prores? What about in camera 4:2:2 recording. Not all of us can afford an atmos ninja or something
    Post edited by neostyles on