The cost of doing business? Nikon keeps losing money and raising prices

2»

Comments

• Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member

We do need to remember though that many correspondents on this and other websites, are not native english speakers. They may. therefore, need to be congratulated for having the courage to write publicly in english and forgiven the odd linguistic slip.

Thats why I made my signature say that.
  • DJBee49DJBee49 Posts: 133Member
    heartyfisher.
    Fascinating and thanks for the references.

Interestingly, the Farlex Thesaurus has 'Lense' as the heading with every reference below it as 'Lens'! The Mirriam Webster medical uses 'Lens', except as an 'alternative' spelling and as a listing in 'Commonly Mis-spelt Words'! I have several dictionaries (Chambers, Collins and Larrouse) all of which use 'Lens', with no reference to an 'e' on the end. The OED has this: Lense. To make lean; to macerate to become lean. ie. a completely different word. No, I have never heard of it before either!

Apart from very recently on the internet, I have never seen this spelling before in reference to an optical lens. There are an awful lot of other spellings on the net that I have never seen before either though! Neither is it used by any of the manufacturers of lenses that I have seen.

Better stop now as we are a little off topic I fear and Msmoto will be cross!
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited February 2015
    If anything, camera makers should charge a premium for digital, because you no longer have to outlay for developing and printing.
    Huh? The camera makers had little or nothing to do with prints or film, so that never had a factor in the price of cameras.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Hmmm I seem to recall several companies that made film and cameras. Kodak and Fujifilm come to mind...
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    Dont forget The Ilford Sportsman,
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited February 2015
    Hmmm I seem to recall several companies that made film and cameras. Kodak and Fujifilm come to mind...
    I'm not talking about toss away cameras, instant or Brownie cameras here. We are talking mostly about SLR type cameras I assume. Did Fuji or Kodak make non-digital SLR cameras? I think Fuji did, but Kodak? Did they force buyers to buy their brand of film? Did they make you buy their photo paper? No, thus no factor in camera cost.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I can't see the link between camera makers making film or not and whether they would/should/could charge more for a camera that doesn't use it? It's marketing 101 to pull on every advantage you've got. But, having said that, we are way past the days when DSLR prices could be inflated at will.
    Always learning.