This is NIKON rumors, why others?

13»

Comments

• tcole1983tcole1983 Posts: 981Member
    I don't believe I have ever given advice on here that is unwarranted. I don't comment on exotic lenses or fx bodies that I know little about. I know there are users on the forum that can better attest to them as they have used or do own them. I don't even mind people sharing their own opposing views as we have all had different experiences. I don't however care for comments about who knows what and who knows more. The forum has always been a mix of pros to newbies. It is helpful to include all levels of insight...as some that aren't pros might have more relevant experience to amateurs where someone that is a professional making money might not have suggestions that the average Joe can use. IE suggesting expensive over the top equipment or for uses that are not relevant to the average consumer. Even though I knew a significant amount about the dx bodies and a few fx ones I still asked the forums opinion when I purchased my d5200. Of course if I had the funds I would be shooting a D7100 which is what most suggested, but it didn't work for me. I believe people's opinion on what type of information they wish to get could be mitigated by asking in a way that states they want people that own the equipment or have had a significant amount of time using it. If one asks what people think I believe that is open to anyone for replying. I think in general the forum is pretty good about trying to narrow down what a person is looking for. We ask how something will be used, expected funds for it, past experiences or equipment already owned. I think when someone comes to the forum asking about which lens they should purchase between two different ones that I have enough knowledge and experience to suggest something...even if it isn't what every other person thinks. Of course I wouldn't answer just based on reading a singular Ken Rockwell review or looking at dxomark scores.

And sorry for another long winded post. I will probably remove myself from this thread now.
    D5200, D5000, S31, 18-55 VR, 17-55 F2.8, 35 F1.8G, 105 F2.8 VR, 300 F4 AF-S (Previously owned 18-200 VRI, Tokina 12-24 F4 II)
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited February 2015

And sorry for another long winded post..
    no need to apologize IMHO a very useful post

when someone asks a question we usually ask for more information
    What is their experience level? What equipment do they own?
    It seems reasonable, we supply similar information when we replay

I dont see anything wrong in recommending equipment we do not own but I think we need to briefly explain why we are recommending it

for example for example

I have a D800 and think it is one the best cameras for landscape photography

but if cannot afford a D800 (or a D810) the D750 and the D7100 both get very good reviews
    Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    And, I suspect I can shoot nearly everything on my D90 and get results as good as any of the cameras, the difference being noted when I get beyond 16" x 20" enlargements.
    Msmoto, mod
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,744Member
    My biggest gripe with a D90 would be lack of dynamic range. The latest image in the Flickr account in my thread was only possible because of my D800. The sunrise was well exposed, but the foreground vegetation was nearly black in the original raw file.
  • funtagraphfuntagraph Posts: 265Member
    I have to agree, @WestEndFoto Two nights before I took a couple of pictures in a very dim an contrasty light. It's amazing, how rich the shadows on a D750 can be, if I set on highlight-spotmetering. I coulnd 't have done that with D7000 before, so I have some tiny doubts about "I can shoot nearly everything on my D90 and get results as good as any of the cameras", beg your pardon @Msmoto
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited February 2015
    very slightly off topic.
    but the DR of the D90 is pants
    Just before I sold mine, I shot some, into the sun, sea scapes
    I had got used to the DR of my D800. All the D90 shots were completely useless; highlights blown, shadows clogged, otherwise perfectly Ok
    Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,744Member
    edited February 2015
    For the benefit of someone looking at this thread, here is the image that I am referring to:

Sunrise over Queen Elizabeth Park

The foreground vegetation was almost black in the raw file. I was blown away that I could recover that.
    Post edited by WestEndFoto on
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited February 2015
    Re DR .. That is why I just couldn't give up on the Fujifilm S5Pro (D200 clone) I had for many years.. giving away 3-4 stops of DR was too painful. Its still quite awesome for highlight recovery...

PS : found this :-) http://www.colda.com/?p=963

Now where is that battery charger for my fuji .... hmmm ...
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I cant resist disagreeing :D I find the D750 needs to be ETTR'd (obviously without blowing highlights) to get the best result. Dragging detail out of shadows just makes noise. OK, it may not show quite so much on a 36mp sensor, but there is no magic that prevents it happening. OK, it's nice to know you can get something if you've screwed up (me? I've NEVER done that! :P ), but it isn't ideal.
    Always learning.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    edited February 2015
    And, I suspect I can shoot nearly everything on my D90 and get results as good as any of the cameras, the difference being noted when I get beyond 16" x 20" enlargements.
    @WestEndFoto said: My biggest gripe with a D90 would be lack of dynamic range. The latest image in the Flickr account in my thread was only possible because of my D800. The sunrise was well exposed, but the foreground vegetation was nearly black in the original raw file.

@sevencrossing said: very slightly off topic.
    but the DR of the D90 is pants
    Just before I sold mine, I shot some, into the sun, sea scapes
    I had got used to the DR of my D800. All the D90 shots were completely useless; highlights blown, shadows clogged, otherwise perfectly Ok

@Msmoto - I hear what your saying and it's a good point. However, that is the reason we sold my wife's D90 in December. I really liked the D90 when I used it as a backup to my D300. But after 5 years of use the DR and IQ was not as good as my D7100 so I convinced the wife it was time for an upgrade. My experience matches WestEndFoto and sevencrossing. More to come on that topic in another forum.

After post comments: Msmoto - I certainly agree that the D90 takes excellent pictures....that is why I convinced my wife that was the camera for her plus it was an excellent back up for my D300. Many people would be happy with the images today. But once you see what the newer generation DSLR's can do, it was time to upgrade.
    Post edited by Photobug on
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • kyoshinikonkyoshinikon Posts: 411Member
    The D90 is fantastic and to say it once more Ive printed 40"x60" off it with no issues... I did find its weakness tho. I was shooting a rodeo and I was using a knockoff clip on my strap. Well my 300mm came off and took the D90 with it. Ripped out the Mounting ring. Now it seldom gets use due to the delicate lens ring it has (I did re attach it).

Everybody loved the D200... Except those who went Fuji. I wonder why they never tried to compete harder in the digital markets. At least I can still pop a roll in my N80 of Reala.

Back to the original topic what would the poster have said about a nikkor LF lens on an ashflex. Technically it is nikon. Also what would Nikodoby have done with this thread (anybody remember the hello kitty gun toting rebel mod?)
    “To photograph is to hold one’s breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It’s at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy.” - Bresson
    I think the thread count would be at about 50% of what it is currently if Nikodoby was still around... @-)
    Always learning.
  • JCTibuJCTibu Posts: 44Member
    because of Nikon Rumors... I felt in love of the D750 before it launch.... and because this site, i chose the Sigma 24-105 Art...

I like to read every news or comments related to the world of Nikon... and even more if it is related to it and/or
    gear from other brands that can be attached to my Nikon..... :)
    Nikon D750 - Sigma 24-105mm f4 - Nikon 50mm 1.8g - Nikon 55-300mm - SB700 -SB400
    I wish I had tried the sigma 24-105 before buying the D750 with the 24-120 Nikkor.
    Always learning.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    I think the thread count would be at about 50% of what it is currently if Nikodoby was still around... @-)
    Agreed! Niko was something else. He is missed.
    Msmoto, mod