are the mirrorless cameras better?

zoranzoran Posts: 34Member
edited April 2015 in D90/D7x00
1. With which mirror less camera (of the same or diferent brand) can the Nikon D7000 be compared to?

2. What are the advantages / disadvantages of a mirrorless camera when compared to a DSLR?

3. Can DSLR lenses be used in a mirrorless camera of the same brand?
Tagged:

Comments

• sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member

Most F mount lenses can be used with the Nikon 1 ( with and adapter)
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited April 2015
    1. With which mirror less camera (of the same or diferent brand) can the Nikon D7000 be compared to?
    Closest would be the Sony A6000, most likely. Same sensor size, albeit with more resolution.
    2. What are the advantages / disadvantages of a mirrorless camera when compared to a DSLR?
    Advantages: Quieter, generally speaking. Often a smaller camera body, but lenses are about the same size as they would be for a DSLR with the same sized sensor. Most offer the ability to focus anywhere within the frame. Disadvantages: Poor battery life, most offer 250-350 shots per charge vs 800-1000 being average for a DSLR. Focus systems are still not geared well for action/sports shooting.
    Yes, there are adaptors to use most brands of DSLR lenses with most brands of mirrorless cameras. The thing is, once you move out of a given brands own adaptors and lenses you loose auto focus and sometimes other functionality as well.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited April 2015
    1. With which mirror less camera (of the same or different brand) can the Nikon D7000 be compared to?

lots ! Samsung Nx1, Fuji X (X-T1,X-pro1, X-E2), Sony (A6000, Nex ..) , M4/3 mirrorless Olympus OMD (E-M1, E-M10 ..), Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4. Nikon1 V1,V2,V3 smaller sensor though.

2. What are the advantages / disadvantages of a mirror-less camera when compared to a DSLR?

Size of camera and lenses are smaller in mirror-less for the shorter focal lengths. FPS is higher.
    Costs less.. sort of.. there are so many mirrorless cameras over a whole range some better and more features and thus cost more. what are you looking for ?

AF is better in DSLR currently but the Mirror less is catching up fast will probably overtake DSLR this year or next. metering is better also in DSLR at the moment but that is also probably going to be caught up soon.

yup.. what PBPM said ...
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• tcole1983tcole1983 Posts: 981Member
    edited April 2015
    My friend has a Sony Nex mirrorless and he hates it compared to his dSLR. It might be the model he has, but he complains about the autofocus not being capable. Despite the high FPS the focus can't keep up with the speed that the camera is taking pictures so it makes no difference that it can take 10 FPS or whatever....because 9 aren't in focus.
    Post edited by tcole1983 on
    D5200, D5000, S31, 18-55 VR, 17-55 F2.8, 35 F1.8G, 105 F2.8 VR, 300 F4 AF-S (Previously owned 18-200 VRI, Tokina 12-24 F4 II)
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    First thing it needs is a viewfinder...tried a oly 4/3 compact/samsung 2000/fugi all usless as no viewfinder ..The oly omd 10 was beautiful but the 16MP combined with poor JPEG output put it in the useless catagory ..sold it.
    In my book it must be 24MP+ and have the ability to screw the sharpness up.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited April 2015
    b
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member

AF is better in DSLR currently but the Mirror less is catching up fast will probably overtake DSLR this year or next. metering is better also in DSLR at the moment but that is also probably going to be caught up soon.

I see this assumption either implied or explicitly stated in discussions about mirror less vs DSLR. In fact I see no evidence of this. While it is certainly true that autofocus in mirrorless systems has improved dramatically, they are still very lacking in areas where auto- focus is pushed to the limit, namely sports, action and news photography. Users that require great auto-focus performance, the kinds that have D4s and D750s, are not going to accept the limitations of mirrorless.

Mirrorless may close this gap, but this is entirely speculative. While both systems can utilize phase detect sensors, the fundamental architecture of the systems are very different and the current gap in autofocus performance suggests that this difference is important.

I may be proven wrong, but when advising users that are contemplating an expenditure of thousands and perhaps even tens of thousands of dollars in a system, this sort of speculation has the potential to lead people into making a very expensive mistake.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Better....? At present I am of the opinion that they are different, certainly quieter, and eventually will replace the DSLR. But, for about 90% of what I want at present....cannot do the job.....

All of this is of course based upon only a guess as I have never tried shooting motorcycles at high speed with a full frame mirrorless, 800mm stuck out front.
    Msmoto, mod
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    Not mirrorless but sat in the middle, The Nikon P900 Bridge camera with a 24-2000 optical zoom. Love to hear from any member who has actually bought this camera and can give a real appraisal.
    Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    Better....? At present I am of the opinion that they are different,
    +1
    Better for what ???

Is Nikon better than Canon
    Is 35mm better than medium format
    Is digital better than film
    Is Beer better than Cider
    Is BMW better than Mercerizes