D7000 Replacement

Comments

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited February 2013
    Admin (Peter) just posted that the D7100 could very well be announced on the 18th of February.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • photomom285photomom285 Posts: 3Member
    Hi, I am new to this site. I just read through the last few pages of this discussion. I'm wondering, how likely do you think it is that the new model of the D7XXX will have any major bugs? I had a D5100 and want to upgrade to the D7000 but not if the new model is due out any day. I figure there will be a significant megapixel jump and there is a lot to be said for more megapixels I think. But I am reading that the D7000 is tried and true where this new one is not. Any opinions? Any guess at a body price for the new one?
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    My suggestion....let some other more anxious folks buy the first ones. After about a month, if there are problems they will be quite self evident. If no problems...time to buy, or wait for the price to drop...
    Msmoto, mod
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    @photomom: I have the D7000 and have to say that you would need to have very definite reasons for going D5100 to D7000 - maybe, depending on your reasons you would be better off going for the D5200? Why are you considering the D7K?
    Always learning.
    edited February 2013
    I'm considering the D7 because I only had the D5100 for a very short time and I was able to get my money back on it. The D7 feels more like a semi pro model and the reviews I read on it are very good. I have seen a lot of comparisons between the D7000 and other Nikons and the D7000 always comes out on top. I would think the new D7 would have more megapixels than the D7000 that is out now. I would like to do wall size prints with no distortion.
    Post edited by photomom285 on
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,287Member
    Honestl
    I'm considering the D7 because I only had the D5100 for a very short time and I was able to get my money back on it. The D7 feels more like a semi pro model and the reviews I read on it are very good. I have seen a lot of comparisons between the D7000 and other Nikons and the D7000 always comes out on top. I would think the new D7 would have more megapixels than the D7000 that is out now. I would like to do wall size prints with no distortion.
    Depending on what you shoot the D7000 may or may not be what you're looking for. It truly depends on you. 12 mp was enough to print very large already, 16 is more than enough. I pulled the trigger on the D7000 because I knew it'd be more camera than I need. I liked the dual dials and the immense amount of control I have. I also really shouldn't need more than 12 mp because I never print anyway. So at this point 16 is overkill- for me at least.

Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    @Photomom: OK, that is the answer I expected so I think you should consider the D5200 as the D5100 is a slightly stripped down D7000 and as such will not give you a step in image quality.
    Always learning.
    What about the upgrade to the D7000? Would you wait for that? My local camera shop told me the D5200 is a soccer moms camera. I don't have a ton of professional photography experience yet but they did not make the D5200 sounds like a very pro camera. I take mostly family events and portraits.
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,692Member
    photomom285: I would say this as a rough rule of thumb about "soccer mom" cameras. The D3xxxx and the D5xxxx series are snapshot type "soccer mom" cameras best suited for people who don't expect to be making many adjustments picture to picture. They are small, light and "plastic" bodies which require you to enter the menu system to make many of the available adjustments. You can shoot "professional" photos with these bodies and they will accept the latest pro lenses but you will require more time in making adjustments. I deliberately pick my D3100 and D5200 when I want something light or when I am shooing to post an image on PAD or facebook or for just an 8x10 print. The D4 is the top professional line. It is very strong and very fast and has abundant direct access to frequently used controls through buttons so you can make adjustments fast and don't have to scroll through the menu system. It is more camera than 90% of us need. The D300, D300s, D700, and D800 are also professional camera bodies which are very strong and allow direct control through many buttons. These professional cameras have the durability to last for 5-6 years when shooting 25,000 images a year and more. The D90, D7000, D7x00, and D600 are the top of the semi-pro camera bodies in that they are slightly less ruggedly built and have a few less direct access buttons. However, they are perfectly adequate for professional results; and will last for 5-6 years of shooting 20,000 images a year. The latest generation of each model series (D3200, D5200, D7x00, D600, D800, D4) will have the best sensor and internal processing software. I would always wait for the latest upgrade when it is just a few months away because it likely offers substantial improvements. However, once I was into a model line system (such as the D90, D7000, D7x00 series) I would consider upgrading every other upgrade (for example, keep shooting with a D90 skipping the D7000 and then getting the D7x00) if I was happy with the camera I was shooting. Making one upgrade jump may offer a small improvement but jumping to two upgrades should make a very noticeable improvement. However, if you find you are shooing almost all the time at ISO 100-400 you may not notice any improvement even jumping two upgrades. The noticeable improvements are generally in better image quality at ISOs above 400.

A question? What is "wall size" prints? A wall can be very big. If you want to make murals to cover an entire wall the D800 is your best bet. But I am thinking you do not mean any larger than poster size which is 20 x 30 or 24 x 36 inches. Poster size can be made from a D7000 but I would think a D7x00 would have more megapixels and make better poster size prints. A D600 would be even better for poster size prints since it contains a much larger senor than the D7x00 but the D600 is FX and requires FX lenses which are more expensive than the lenses used by the DX D7000. If my assumption about your desire for poster size prints is correct I think the D7x00 would offer a significant advantage for you and would be worth waiting for.
  • SquamishPhotoSquamishPhoto Posts: 608Member
    However, if you find you are shooing almost all the time at ISO 100-400 you may not notice any improvement even jumping two upgrades. The noticeable improvements are generally in better image quality at ISOs above 400.
    This is not true. One of the single best reasons to buy a D800 is to shoot it the camera at its native ISO of 100. The 36MP sensor was not used to simply lure the few people who ever make gallery sized prints, its meant to provide improved DR, tonal range for skin tones and landscapes, and when used in combination with lenses with unique contrast characteristics it can provide a very close second to the unique results up until now only achievable with a MF set up. With well crafted lighting and accurate focussing skills one can achieve outstanding results when the camera is keyed into its optimal settings, and this isn't even getting into the inherent advantages the sensor size lends to post-production work. This persistant idea that resolution only provides one with larger printing possibilities I find quite puzzling.

Mike
    D3 • D750 • 14-24mm f2.8 • 35mm f1.4A • PC-E 45mm f2.8 • 50mm f1.8G • AF-D 85mm f1.4 • ZF.2 100mm f2 • 200mm f2 VR2
    SquamishPhoto: Yes you are correct. The D800 is an exception to the "rough rule of thumb" I was discussing above. It surely does offer improved dynamic range at ISO-100. In fact, that is part of its "claim to fame." I posted a link long ago to a video of Jim Brandenberg explaining that very subject of increased tonal range in a photo he took of rocks when the D800 first came out. Remember, he said it changed the way he photographed and the subjects he considered for a photograph? He said he never would have photographed the rocks before the increased tonal range offered by the D800. And it looks like thje D800 will really be "medium format quality" when combined with the new Zeiss wide angle, 55 and 85mm lenses specifically designed for high megapixel sensors such as the D800/D800e. I think the advantages offered by the D800/D800e 36mp sensor will become more and more appreciated over time. However, the D800 is not really the camera for photomom285 unless she actually does want to print murals (which I don't think she really means). I don't think she is going to be that obsessed over the minute tonal range changes in photos of her kids which a D800 could provide. She is not trying to be professional.

Look at the context of the paragraph in which I made the statement about not noticing a difference at low ISO between generations of bodies. I was discussing the D90, D7000, D7x00 line (remember photomon285 is debating between a D7000 and a D7x00) and I was saying a mom who is shooing photos of her kids won't see much difference generation to generation if she is shooting at base ISO, hence it may well be safe to skip a generation. Now if she is shooting at ISO-3200 and ISO-6400 she will see a significant improvement in each generation of from D90 to D7000 (and likely to D7x00) such that it may be worth upgrading each time a new generation is out. That was my basic "rough rule of thumb" point applicable to her situation. (I do know the D7000 does have improved dynamic range over the D90 at base ISO as measured by DxOMark so I am not trying to make this "rough rule of thumb" absolute.) If she was happy with the dynamic range of her D5100 and if she shot mostly below ISO-400 she could be happy with a D7000 and not need to wait for a D7x00. But since we appear to be so close to the release of the D7x00, I would recommend waiting to see just what improvements it will offer.

You certainly are free to encourage photomom285 to buy a D800 and Ziess manual focus lenses to shoot photos of her kids (and they surely would be very high quality images). I just don't think that equipment is needed for what she is wanting to do with the camera she intends to purchase.
    Anyway, Photomom never said she had a problem with the one wheel D5100 and going to the D7000 will mainly just give her better ergonomics. It is perfectly reasonable to say given she never mentioned the ergonomics of the D5100 as a problem, that the D5200 would be fine for her. Labels like 'soccer mom camera' and 'snapshot camera' are BS. The D5200 will take as good of an image as the D7200 for 99%+ of the people on this forum and at a fraction of the price.

@Photomom: The main difference between D5200 and D7000/D7000 is that to change aperture in manual mode you press and hold a button with your index finger while spinning the command wheel instead of spinning a second wheel on the front of the camera. Real world difference is negligible because if you shoot aperture priority (which I expect you will for portraits and family events) the one wheel on the D5100 changes the aperture. If that hasn't been a problem for you before, it will not be now. Many people on the forum shoot D5xxx and D3xxx and get great results. The guy in the shop senses you will spend more money with him, and the people on this forum are gearheads. The D5100/D7000 are the same camera basically, and the D5200/D7200 will be too but the D7200 isn't available yet and will cost a chunk more.

HTH.
    Always learning.
    edited February 2013
    "The guy in the shop senses you will spend more money with him, and the people on this forum are gearheads."

"It is perfectly reasonable to say . . . . the D5200 would be fine for her."

These are both very true statements. People who ask for advice on the forum should know that we do tend to recommend more expensive equipment than most people need because we love equipment. For example, even though I have a D800 the last 21 photos I uploaded to my flicker photostream were all taken with my D5100 because that is all I needed for them. This month I posted 12 photos to PAD. 2 were taken with a D600; 4 were taken with a D800 and 6 were taken with a D5100. Most people probably could not tell which camera took which picture when viewing the images posted on PAD, full monitor size or printed 8x10. Differences between the cameras become greater at more extremes: such as stopping action in low light, image quality at high ISO, operation at extreme temperatures, longevity after 100,000 exposures, faster frames per second, and yes, dynamic range at base ISO if you look close. Personally, I think the model series D90, D7000, D7x00 offers enough to keep most people happy for the longest time and therefor is the "best bang for the buck" in the Nikon lineup. Basically, the D5100 and D5200 contain the same sensor/electroncs as the D7000, D7x00 in a lighter body with a few less direct control buttons and less durability. That is why the D7000, D7x00 series "feels more like a semi-pro model." I find most people who become serious about photography like that semi-pro feel. The images from the D7000, D7x00 series will be essentially identical to those taken with the D5100, D5200 series.
    Post edited by donaldejose on
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    Having used all of these cameras, I feel advice to use a D90, skip over a D7000 and buy the D7100 or whatever they call this next DSLR DX Nikon is very questionable in one area especially, video. The D7000 and even the D5200 have better video. The D90 video although very useful at times......is the one to pass on. Since video is a fast growing use segment i would not rule out the D7000 or D5200. Having used both of those cameras I would always take the D7000. When the D7100 comes out if it isn't plagued with problems, I'll buy that too. Three of us at our farm use the D7000s for many applications from personal to business. Not all of the video on D7000 is golden, but it can be very, very good. The D7100 will only be up for comparison when it is in hand not speculation. My guess if it is not an upgrade Nikon would not introduce it. However the QC issues remain real and until the verdict is out......perhaps Photomom and almost everyone else better wait.
    DavyJ: You are correct. Improved video is perhaps the fasted growing change in the new DSLR's. I don't shoot video. But if you do, or intend to, shoot much video you most likely should not skip generations because each generation will offer significant video improvement.
  • tcole1983tcole1983 Posts: 981Member
    I am hoping there has been some backlash and complaints about the qa/qc such that the next release is ready to go. I don't mind needing to upgrade firmware or whatever but some of the oil, dust, focus, and other issues seem unacceptable to me. Especially when previous versions didn't the problem. Shoot put my d5000 shutter on the new body and call it a day ;-)
    D5200, D5000, S31, 18-55 VR, 17-55 F2.8, 35 F1.8G, 105 F2.8 VR, 300 F4 AF-S (Previously owned 18-200 VRI, Tokina 12-24 F4 II)
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,287Member
    Having used all of these cameras, I feel advice to use a D90, skip over a D7000 and buy the D7100 or whatever they call this next DSLR DX Nikon is very questionable in one area especially, video. The D7000 and even the D5200 have better video. The D90 video although very useful at times......is the one to pass on. Since video is a fast growing use segment i would not rule out the D7000 or D5200. Having used both of those cameras I would always take the D7000. When the D7100 comes out if it isn't plagued with problems, I'll buy that too. Three of us at our farm use the D7000s for many applications from personal to business. Not all of the video on D7000 is golden, but it can be very, very good. The D7100 will only be up for comparison when it is in hand not speculation. My guess if it is not an upgrade Nikon would not introduce it. However the QC issues remain real and until the verdict is out......perhaps Photomom and almost everyone else better wait.
    In terms of upgrading, generation skipping would be very valid for people who primarily do photography. If you're video minded than yes, you really should move up from the D90.

For me I feel as if I'm slightly overwhelmed as I have to learn the more complex AF system. Back with the D40, it was only 3 AF points anyway- what difference would it make if I changed the AF slightly. :D
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • PaulohnPaulohn Posts: 33Member
    If we don't hear about this update this week, what is the next "due" date to wait for?
    @NSX: I know what you mean - coming from the D40 to the D7000. Nice jump BTW.

Both are just cameras at the end of the day though so you can always set it up the same as your D40 if your head feels like it is going to blow up!
    Always learning.
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    The worst Nikon DSLR I ever bought and tried to copies was the D40X. I am always amazed by folks who tolerate the three in a line focus grids. But to a great degree we must learn to accept certain features of a tool and work with it. The D40 I think is every bit as good as the D40X. But todays Nikon Rumors news that there may be no soon in coming D7100 is I feel a huge setback. The camera which may be introduced may sell, but sure as heck not to the pros I see using DX cameras like the D300, D300s, and the D7000. I prefer the D7000 over all of these cameras. Almost every younger photographer I know uses more video than still on say a D7000. The sales of Go Pros is right off the chart. They are rugged, amazing image quality, rapidly becoming the underwater camera of choice world wide, and inexpensive.

I totally feel one comment alone sums up my feeling on this DX rumor. Our Administrator says that the D7100 will be a really big deal and he expects more leaks in advance of that. Sure sounds accurate to me. The question to Nikon Marketing and Management is though how many will "invest" in other gear with money saved up for say a D7100 or a D400? I have had the D600 in hand and did not like the corner cutting engineering and did not feel that adding $2,500 in lens was good business for me. As it is I still feel blessed that there is a D7000 and Go Pros to shoot with right here and now. And let's face it: There is no reason for any of us to be here if all we are interested in shooting with than what we have. As a PhD scientist it seems that is the ENTIRE PURPOSE OF THIS SIGHT: What is the future going to bring us??? And I sure don't want to use this site to see how many people I can heckle. I wish you all well. I am here because it is important to see what photo trends are in the offing and at a rather late point in my life make a few modest investments in lens and advanced gear. Looking back at the many thousands i spent over the years in taking pictures I have NO INTEREST in a camera with a fixed focal length. Might make your future brighter, but I regard the zoom lens as one of the best advances in image capture.
    +1 to that last 2 sentences DaveyJ
    Always learning.
  • MikeGunterMikeGunter Posts: 543Member
    +1 to that last 2 sentences DaveyJ
    Me, too.

My primes are to get the DOF and low light, but starting out when zooms weren't an option makes me love zooms even more.

Video is also a major part of what we do.

An update from Nikon Repair $224 to repair my AF in the D7000 and something listed as 'Flash Problems', clean and adjustments, and routine maintenance. It should be back next week.

My best,

Mike
  • racheldistadracheldistad Posts: 36Member
    As a university student, studying fine art, specialising in photography, drawing and sculpture, my dslr is essential; although i'm desperate to upgrade my D3100 as i feel i've outgrown it - my favourite pieces are of nighttime shots of motorways etc in low light conditions using a tripod to capture the lights of cars streaming.. however they can come out reaaaally noisy, and i can't afford to go fx, at all... so cannot wait to see the new d7xxx (or whatever it may be called)'s offering.. if its amazing, i'll save a little longer.. if i can't justify it, i'll buy the bargain that is the d7000..

so yeah, i want better low-light performance (if possible). hahahaa sorry for the rambling.
    Easy - get the D5200.
    Always learning.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    You are better off improving your lens lineup than switching cameras. Since you haven't mentioned what lenses you are using, it's hard to say if an upgrade is really needed at all.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
This discussion has been closed.