New Nikon 600mm is as Sharp as the Otus55mm

MaxBerlinMaxBerlin Posts: 86Member
edited August 2015 in Nikon DSLR cameras
On a D810, this lens scores 3419 (MTF50). For comparison, an exceptional copy of the Zeiss Otus 55mm scores 3422 using the same import only sharpening option.

Post edited by MaxBerlin on
My non-commercial blog:

https://sonyvnikon.wordpress.com/

Comments

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    If you have $12k burning a hole in your pocket, yup. ;)

Not surprised to see that the new 600mm F4E is a very sharp lens, it had better be for that price tag! The question is, is it sharper than the 600m F4G? That would be the true test!

The 400mm F2.8G turned out to be sharper than the 400mm F2.8E according to just about every review I've seen. Although one could easily say that the sharpness differences are so small that nobody would notice the difference in real life. One could easily argue that the weight differences more than make up for the slight difference in sharpness.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    I think that the sharpness will be more apparent as sensor resolution increases.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    edited August 2015

Not surprised to see that the new 600mm F4E is a very sharp lens, it had better be for that price tag! The question is, is it sharper than the 600m F4G? That would be the true test!
    Funny you should mention that, according to DxO, the old 300 f4 is sharper than the new version so yes, a comparison between the old and new 600's would be interesting. As you said, it had better be sharp for that much money.
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
  • MaxBerlinMaxBerlin Posts: 86Member
    I'm sorry but I don't have access to one of the older versions at this time. But some empirical looks at the new vs the old makes me think the new one is worth the price (and the 3lb weight reduction) :)
    My non-commercial blog:

• mikealruskovmikealruskov Posts: 22Member
    edited August 2015
    Funny you should mention that, according to DxO, the old 300 f4 is sharper than the new version so yes, a comparison between the old and new 600's would be interesting.
    Except for that DxO has not tested the new 300mm f/4E PF. I have no idea what DxO review you saw. In fact every review of the 300 PF I've seen has shown it is at least as sharp as the old, if not slightly sharper. I have no idea where you pulled that misinformation from.
    Post edited by mikealruskov on
    D7000, Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, 35mm f/1.8G, 50mm 1.8G, 135mm f/2 DC, 300mm f/4E PF
    Mike - DXO doesn't test lenses. They make calculations for lenses. This is why they are always so far off reality. See LensRentals Blog where they tested the telephotos on OLAF.
    My non-commercial blog:

• mikealruskovmikealruskov Posts: 22Member
    edited August 2015
    Mike - DXO doesn't test lenses. They make calculations for lenses. This is why they are always so far off reality. See LensRentals Blog where they tested the telephotos on OLAF.
    My point was that DxO has not made a statement regarding the performance or sharpness of the 300mm f/4E PF in any regard. They had a preview article that just regurgitated the press release info, but no actual hands on impressions or calculations as far as I'm aware. I have no idea what spraynpray was talking about.

LensRentals revieved a slightly decentered copy of the 300 PF and has this to say about it vs the old 300mm f/4:
    We may find that a well-centered copy is far superior to this one, particularly in the corners, but perhaps even in the center.
    What we can say is that the new lens is at least the equal, from a resolution standpoint, to the old lens. That's about all for now.
    http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2015/02/the-nikon-300mm-f4e-pf-ed-vr-test-or-why-i-dont-test-just-one-copy
    Post edited by mikealruskov on
    D7000, Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, 35mm f/1.8G, 50mm 1.8G, 135mm f/2 DC, 300mm f/4E PF
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    edited August 2015
    OK, this thread is about the 600 so I won't distract for too long. Regarding my comment on DxO that @mikealruskov commented on: I admit I have been looking at so many places over the last week for info on the 20mm that I have probably mis-spoken the name of the outfit that I saw the 300's tested by. The point is that I have actually seen a test that came out in favour of the old lens over the new, although the difference wasn't huge and may have been thought to be offset by the loss of weight etc. of the PF.
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
    I have intimate knowledge of the first 300mm PF that LensRentals had and that particular lens had issues. Not only decentered but 15+ pixel CA at the edges. I'm sticking with the old 300MM f4 and 2.8 for now.
    My non-commercial blog:

In a very thorough test I was able to get the Otus 55 to score 1% higher than the 600mm this AM. Additionally, I was able to bump up the 600 score by 1% (there is a kind of randomness in how ROIs are selected and scored) Fair enough to say the 600mm shoots as well as the Otus. PS: the Otus 85mm is right in there too - within the margin of error and the ROI randomness.
    My non-commercial blog:

• PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Spraynpray sent me digging last night and there is no update on DXO web site on the 300mm PF lens. Okay, back to the topic at hand...600mm lens. I would be happy to perform some testing if someone wants to loan me this lens. :)) :D =))
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    I always like the funny little figures at the end.....
    Msmoto, mod
  • TriShooterTriShooter Posts: 219Member
    I have used the Nikon 400mm for decades, and did not have this information when I bit the bullet for the Nikon 600mm f/4E AF-S Nikkor FL ED VR lens. My gut told me this lens was a giant step forward. Everything I've seen confirms buying it was a wise choice.

I can only judge my copy of this lens, but am blown away by this lens' resolution, and how well it works with my TC-14E II & III and TC-17E II teleconverters.

The sharpness, and contrast of the new Nikon 600mm f/4E FL is astonishing to me, and the new VR does work on a tripod amazingly well for still shots. My observations are empirical, not scientific, but am pragmatic when it comes to judging my equipment against new gear.

Shooting for years from the same locations gives me a unique perspective of what to expect at various distances, and specific times of the day for various turtle, and bird, types and sizes making me confident no one is going to be disappointed with this lens which is very easy to handle at its size, and weight for me in my seventies. My tripod is more of a challenge to carry than this lens.

The only missing for me is the screw mount hood attachment which I suppose they are using now to protect the lens. It is actually easier to take on, and off for people who are not accustomed to locking the lens in place to handle the hood which I do anyway to avoid an accident.

I think the 600mm f/4E is probably going to be the new 500mm f/4 for a lot of wildlife shooters.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Nice review TriShooter +1
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    Thank you Photobug.
  • snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
    @TriShooter: Thank you for sharing and congratulations to the lense! I did however not understand the last part, but I read in a review that the hood can fall off. Can you describe a little more how the construction works and how you like it?
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    @TriShooter

Strange how those of us in our seventies seem to carry big lenses, not complaining about the weight......mmmm

Appreciate your comments on the new 600.....as I drool....
    Msmoto, mod
    Hello @snakebunk - My comment on the lens hood comes from my personal preference for the old style retractable hood that had threads which locked the lens hood in the open extended position securely, and also locked the lens hood with threads in the closed position. I still prefer the one piece construction of the older hood as compared to having two separate pieces to deal with when mounting, and unmounting the lens.

The lens hood for the new 600mm is light, easy to handle, and well constructed in my opinion. It still slips easily, when reversed over the lens, for travel. I doubt the lens hood will fall off even if it is accidentally bumped but still not a fan of the one screw mount system which uses a rubber gasket material to seal the end of the hood that goes over the lens. The hood system is simple, it is light, it seems secure, and the soft synthetic gasket material protects the lens itself from hard knocks, and being scratched by the hood.

It is a given that anything that is made of a soft and pliable material like this hood gasket, no matter how grand the material it is made of, will eventually have to be replaced as it ages. NIkon knows this, and makes it clear to replace this gasket sooner not later if it is damaged at your local service center which is not a big deal, and the lens hood although sturdy, is light and will be easy to ship.

My guess is that Nikon intentionally made the lens hood this way to protect the lens itself from damage. If the hood takes a hard knock the gasket will, by design, absorb most of the force. This makes sense, and is more important to me than the one piece construction. It is a lot easier to ship a light lens hood to replace a gasket than an entire lens.

Bottom line is that I am happy with the overall quality, and weight advantage of this phenomenal lens, and think my hood mount preference is insignificant compared to the benefits this lens is showing me. This is a magnificent lens that is a joy to use.
    @Msmoto

Thank you for your kind words.

There is something about carrying big glass that creates that warm, and fuzzy feeling of knowing there are some good images about to happen ! LOL ;)
  • haroldpharoldp Posts: 984Member
    That is because the Eagle ssee the big glass and follow it.

... H
    D810, D3x, 14-24/2.8, 50/1.4D, 24-70/2.8, 24-120/4 VR, 70-200/2.8 VR1, 80-400 G, 200-400/4 VR1, 400/2.8 ED VR G, 105/2 DC, 17-55/2.8.
    Nikon N90s, F100, F, lots of Leica M digital and film stuff.

• snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
    edited August 2015
    @TriShooter: Thank you for the information! It is my dream lense, hope to make it happen one day.
    Post edited by snakebunk on
    @snakebunk You are welcome. I understand your feeling about this lens, and know something will happen to make it a reality some day. I am pulling for your dream to come true !!!
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    Looking forward in seeing some of our members images on PAD with this lens. :D
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • adamzadamz Posts: 842Moderator
    golf007 - is it already on your preorder list @ BH :)? I hope it is :)
    edited August 2015
    I picked this image which was taken at ISO 1600 with the TC-17EII to show the detail the new 600mm will produce under typical evening shooting conditions.

20150726-DSC_0828NIKON CORPORATION  NIKON D7200  1600 Spot  600 mm f-4  7.1  1-1600 s  NIKON CORPORATION  NIKON D7200  1600 Spot   7.1  1-1600 s   2
    Post edited by TriShooter on