Nikon 70-200 F2.8 VR II Update

bhbbhb Posts: 4Member
edited August 2015 in Nikon Lenses
hi all,
This is probably asked a fair few times over the past few years but with the new 24-70, 70-200 F4, etc.. with FD, more advanced coatings, + Nikon rebates recently, just wondering if there are any rumors there would soon be an updates to the 70-200 F2.8 VR II? Things such as FD glass, better VR (same as 70-200 F4), less breathing etc...
I am on the market for a new lens (I've have the old VR I) and wondering if I should wait a few months.
Thanks

Comments

• starralaznstarralazn Posts: 204Member
    i believe your version of the 70-200mm and the newer version of the 70-200mm both have the same VR ( of course, the 70-200mm f/4G has VR that supersedes both of these lenses). If you're shooting on dx then i would probably wait until the newer version comes out to see how it performs in the center of the frame.
    for fx, the newer 70-200mm 2.8 is better in the corners. however, focus breathing is a lot more noticeable... when you first pick it up. shooting events it is not as noticeable(capturing the moment trumps getting absolute best perspective (for me at least))

idk about what patents have been filed for the new, unreleased, 70-200... maybe wait until the D5 gets released and see if they update it then.
  • kanuckkanuck Posts: 1,300Member
    edited August 2015
    At first I thought, hold on a minute the new 70-200mm VR II was just released so there is no way they would refresh this lens already. However, a quick check shows that it was in fact released in 2009. Hard to believe it has already been 6 years now! The 1st version was produced from 2003-2009, so it would appear that Nikon does refresh this popular lens design every 6 years meaning a new model would be due out this year or next year at the latest.

I agree with Starralazn in that it would be perfect timing for Nikon to release this lens with the new D5 or the D4x body. There are some huge photo and imaging fairs coming up like PMA etc so an annoucement could be forthcoming. Also, the winter Olympics is only 2 years away now...
    Post edited by kanuck on
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,744Member
    This lens is due for a refresh.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I wonder if it will be another 82mm filter size lens...
    Always learning.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    My 70-200/2.8 VRII is so sharp as to place me in the arena of "what could be improved?" Of course, the newer VR, fluorite coatings,possible some other internals, but practically I doubt I would be able to see any difference ....
    Msmoto, mod
    My 70-200/2.8 VRII is so sharp as to place me in the arena of "what could be improved?" Of course, the newer VR, fluorite coatings,possible some other internals, but practically I doubt I would be able to see any difference ....
    Improvements in focus would be of most interest to its users. Also, the ability to focus closer would be beneficial.
  • bhbbhb Posts: 4Member
    So I should hang on to my VR I & wait?
    BTW: I have the Nikon D810, the VR I just does not seem to have the resolving power for the D810, when I zoom all the way in the pixels are not clear, even at F4.
    Thanks
    So I should hang on to my VR I & wait?
    BTW: I have the Nikon D810, the VR I just does not seem to have the resolving power for the D810, when I zoom all the way in the pixels are not clear, even at F4.
    Thanks
    Nikon will not fix the resolving power with the new lens. It is a zoom, and even though it is a professional zoom, is only so sharp. If you want sharper, you will need to look at some of the primes.
  • Rx4PhotoRx4Photo Posts: 1,200Member
    edited September 2015
    For the longest time I thought my 70-200mm VR2 was sharp "enough." Then I recently did some portraits and came away a little disappointed - especially @ 200mm. Later on did a focus calibration and discovered a little backfocus issue. Now it's like WoW, I wish I could retake every photo that I've ever taken with it.
    @spraynpray if they ever do update it and bring it up to a 82mm filter size, I'm afraid that it will turn it into a hunk to cary around. Unless ** lightbulb appears above my head ** they reformat it as a 70-200mm f/2.2 !
    Post edited by Rx4Photo on
    D800 | D7000 | Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 35mm f/1.8G | 85mm f/1.4G | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM | Zeiss 100mm Makro-Planar ZF.2 | Flash controllers: Phottix Odin TTL

• SportsSports Posts: 365Member
    I'm pretty sure, we'll see an "E" version to replace the "G". Not any day, now, but I actually think 6 months is more likely than 12 months. Just my guess, as none of us have any clue, really.

With the new 24-70, Nikon improved sharpness and AF speed ... and the lens got bigger.
    Will they do the same with the 70-200?
    I have a pretty decent 70-200 from Sigma, but if Nikon takes a reasonable step forward, I would be tempted to upgrade. I know the current Nikon is good, but FOR ME, the double price over the 3rd party versions is not justified.
    D300, J1
    Sigma 70-200/2.8, 105/2.8
    Nikon 50/1.4G, 18-200, 80-400G
    1 10-30, 30-110
    I have the Sigma 50mm F1.4 ART, it back focuses a little but once that's calibrated using docking gadget, it looks much sharper than my Nikon 70-200 F2.8 VR I.
    WestFoto: I agree with you primes should have much better resolving power. From DxO testing, the VR II has much better resolving power than VR I, so I was wondering if the next update improves more when fluorite, better glass are used, my speculation only.
    I've searched everywhere to see if there is any Nikon 70-200 patent recently which indicates Nikon's plan for this lens but can't find any patent at all.
    I imagine that fluorite would be very expensive. You might end up with a $5,000 plus lens. Also, fluorite is fragile, which has drawbacks with a lens that is expected to take hard knocks.
  • kanuckkanuck Posts: 1,300Member
    edited September 2015
    I wonder if it will be another 82mm filter size lens...
    Good question and I bet the new 70-200mm 2.8 will be bigger and even heavier still so I'd imagine an 82mm filter size would be used.
    I imagine that fluorite would be very expensive. You might end up with a $5,000 plus lens. Also, fluorite is fragile, which has drawbacks with a lens that is expected to take hard knocks.
    Yes, they have to keep the lens around or slightly under the $3,000 mark so fluorite is probably not an option for this kind of zoom. Fluorite seems to only be used for nikkor primes....

Post edited by kanuck on
    Canon 70-200 has a fluorite element for much cheaper than even the VR II so hopefully there is hope for fluorite on Nikon lens or may be just fluorine coating to keep costs down.