Do you want articulated touch screen on your next generation full frame?

I'm about to upgrade and this is the only thing stopping me now. I need full frame body no worse than D810 but with this so much needed for me extra. I don't really care who is going to bring it first Nikon or Canon but it will be on my pre order list straight away.

Comments

• AmericanLoonieAmericanLoonie Posts: 99Member
    The more and more I shoot, the more and more I wish I had this. I shoot my Rolleiflex quite a bit, and having so many options for composing makes more awkward shots so much easier on me, my back, and my clothing. Whether I am shooting low and don't want to squat or lay down or shooting on a tripod way above my head, it can be a huge pain in the ass working with subjects far above or below my own personal horizon line. An articulating live view screen would be amazing, especially now that they have options like grids, histograms, and virtual horizons. Would I switch to Canon for it? God No. Do I wish I had one on my D800? Absolutely.

A touch screen, on the other hand, would be completely useless. The screen is way too small; there would be zero added functionality.
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    I too would love to have an articulated screen. The only thing I will say is that they come at the expense of being more fragile. I dropped my bag on the ground and broke one of my cameras with the articulated screen (just the screen the rest of it works fine--think of it like a smartphone screen that cracks when you drop it). The pro DSLR was fine. The ideal articulated screen would be like that new artphone that has the unbreakable screen.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    My only problem with the articulating screen on the D750 is that it only helps with landscape shots. Portrait shots are still a pain. I suppose we have the ham-fisted eejits that managed to break the D5000 screens to thank for that. I never had a problem and it was perfect as it went portrait and landscape as well as being viewable from the front.
    Always learning.
  • ZakZak Posts: 4Member
    I'm 206 cm (6ft9) and most of the time I shoot children's photography which means real pain in the ass.
    Actually at my height anyone I need to shoot at is way down below my chest level...
    :(
    Articulated screen is a must for me.

https://youtu.be/wXqn2iazrgk

https://youtu.be/VyOZp9ajMMw

https://youtu.be/Lq9C10F3Grk

• PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    edited November 2015
    I would find it usefull for shots from the floor in a church aisle and when taking photos that are not permitted so I can look casual...Change to Canon ..never they cannot even get the on/off switch in the right place !!!
    I must admit that the videos put up by Zak are impressive and I can see why the Canon cameras would be easyier to sell to joe public in a retail outlet with a fast button pushing demo but I am more interested in taking pics than button pushing
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
  • kenadamskenadams Posts: 222Member
    I would think that it'd much easier for composing and generally for getting an idea of a shot to be on eye level with the horizontal plane from which you'd like to take an image. An articulating screen might be of great helpin crammed spaces or to repeatedly take the same shot - but for creative new takes on something?
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    I would want one. Touch to focus is one reason, candid photographs is another
  • JCTibuJCTibu Posts: 44Member
    I bought D5100... D5200.. D5300... and now i am the proud owner of a D750... So I tested the none articulated LCD screen... the "move to the side and move up and down" from the D5200 and D5300... and also just the Up/Down of the D750....

I think that I like it.... but that feature affect the idea of weather proof camera... I think that my next camera I wish that it does not come with the articulated screen...
    Nikon D750 - Sigma 24-105mm f4 - Nikon 50mm 1.8g - Nikon 55-300mm - SB700 -SB400
  • tganiatstganiats Posts: 131Member
    I had one 15 years ago (before DSLR)...and I used it a lot. I miss it. I worry about weather proof and sturdiness, but the D750 is no slouch. I want one...but with caution.
  • tommaytommay Posts: 9Member
    I like the articulated screens, this is a must for me now. Touchscreen would be fine, it the usability is good, but I don't really need it.
  • janjan Posts: 7Member
    As a wildlife photographer that shoots in less than ideal conditions (rain and snow) I value weather sealing and reliability more than I would an articulating screen. A touch screen could be just as pointless especially if one presses against the screen when taking a shot and unknowingly changes a parameter that is detrimental to the photo.

Instead of focusing on gimmicks, improve the following:
    1) low light focusing performance
    2) the number of cross-type sensors
    3) ISO noise performance
    4) the layout of the menu system so it can be more easily navigated.
    5) built-in GPS and wireless picture transfer capability
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    An articulated screen is useful, especially when shooting from a low tripod. I like how they did it on the D750, so I'm sure it'll expand to more cameras in the future.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    An articulated screen is useful, especially when shooting from a low tripod. I like how they did it on the D750, so I'm sure it'll expand to more cameras in the future.
    Trouble is it is useless in portrait orientation. May as well not have one for those.
    Always learning.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Which is why you want a fully articulating screen, like the D5xxx series cameras have, not the basic tilt screen of the D750.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • FreezeActionFreezeAction Posts: 892Member
    I don't want it. I have it and have not used it. For what I need I'd rather spend the $'s on other technology.
    For me it is handy, so I would still rather have it than not but the lack of portrait orientation severely limits its usefulness for most uses.
    Always learning.
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    I shot a chandelier using the tilt screen. A fully articulating screen would have been greatly appreciated. I will use the Nikon wifi app for the next chandelier photo.
    edited November 2015
    I shot a chandelier using the tilt screen. A fully articulating screen would have been greatly appreciated. I will use the Nikon wifi app for the next chandelier photo.
    My main beef with the Nikon app is that it could be a heck of a lot better; I would like more controls, etc. The ideal scenario is to have both, an articulated touch screen and a great wifi implantation. We should expect both at this stage in camera development.
    Post edited by manhattanboy on
  • KnockKnockKnockKnock Posts: 398Member
    I'd be perfectly happy with the D750 style flip LCD. I like that it allows the same left side buttons as most Nikon's. Not a fan of the D5xxx ergonomics on the back panel. True, it's not helpful in portrait, but it's better than nothing.
    D7100, D60, 35mm f/1.8 DX, 50mm f/1.4, 18-105mm DX, 18-55mm VR II, Sony RX-100 ii
    @manhattanboy: +1

@KnockKnock: true - it is better than nothing.
    Always learning.
  • framerframer Posts: 491Member
    NO. I prefer a solid sealed back. The highest quality wide view LED screen is wanted 170+ degree view from all angles. I use Camera Control Pro 2 with the D3s and D810, using my homemade custom usb wireless connection, and would like to be able to use a smart phone to control professional cameras like the cheaper camera's have.

framer
    NO. I prefer a solid sealed back. The highest quality wide view LED screen is wanted 170+ degree view from all angles. I use Camera Control Pro 2 with the D3s and D810, using my homemade custom usb wireless connection, and would like to be able to use a smart phone to control professional cameras like the cheaper camera's have.

framer
    The ruggedness is the main drawback to the articulated screen. They can at the very least make all non-articulated cameras have a impact proof touch screen now that the tech is readily available in smart phones. Regarding wifi, add-ons and dongles are cumbersome, easy to lose, and detract from the ruggedness. Why take a solid sealed back but then have to attach a dongle for wifi that can be broken off if dropped? An articulated screen does not have to be weak and we should demand wifi inside the camera rather than as a dongle.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    I've never had an issue with ruggedness of the articulated screen on the D5x00 series. I wouldn't worry at all about waterproofness; it is the same as a hard mounted one. If anything, the ability to turn it around and fully protect the screen is an advantage. I have literally swung the camera around by holding onto nothing but the extended screen, to no ill effect. Note this was with a floor model, not my own ;)