Do you want articulated touch screen on your next generation full frame?

2»

Comments

• manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    I have literally swung the camera around by holding onto nothing but the extended screen, to no ill effect. Note this was with a floor model, not my own ;)
    Cameras do follow Murphy's Law: it will only break if its your own and you then have to pay to repair it ;)
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    If I drop a precision item like a camera, the last thing I am going to do is complain that it is broken! If I had a D700 or D4s and dropped it I would still send it off for service.
    Always learning.
  • kyoshinikonkyoshinikon Posts: 411Member
    I've dropped both and still haven't sent either in. Too many jobs to shoot...
    “To photograph is to hold one’s breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It’s at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy.” - Bresson
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    As one who shoots hundreds of "blind" shots, e.g.,
    Cumbres & Toltec Senic RR II 07.04.15-36
    ...trust me, I was not on top of the train..... :) but used self timer and monopod. Usually I would use the remote release, but battery was dead....

OK, would a tilt screen have been worthwhile in this shot. Doubtful, as looking up into the sky at a dark screen....

So, as I shoot a lot of these.....auto shows from monopod as well, low angle shots, etc., it is my experience that with a certain lens I can quickly get into the correct angle by understanding the angle of coverage, trial shots, multiple frames, all which end up with what I consider a decent snapshot.

Maybe my eyes are not good enough to see the screen. In any case, the next generation of "viewfinders" will be in your glasses, a virtual image which requires no particular effort to view other than touching a button, and allows a full image to be seen without even looking in the direction of the camera body. My guess is this will be commonplace within a few years, also a function of the new generation of mirrorless camera bodies.
    One more shot I doubt the tilt screen would have been helpful, only an understanding of what the body/lens combination can do:
    Detroit_NAIAS 2015 III-7
    Msmoto, mod
  • redirectorredirector Posts: 9Member
    edited December 2015
    MSMoto that is one heckuva great train shot! My compliments!

I carry two cameras for work, so as long as one has it I am happy. I use it on D750. I have also bent the hinge by being careless with a drop that was my fault, not the fault of the hinge! So it will not return to a flat position, like a hyper extension.

Nikon will replace a broken LCD for about $220 whether a D90 or D750 according to two quotes I have in 2015, plus shipping/tax (and before NPS discount). If its just the hinge, my quoted repair was about $150.

Edit: I am also a fan of the touch screen functionality & AF on the Samsung NX1 and would like to see similar on the next-gen D750.
    Post edited by redirector on
  • scoobysmakscoobysmak Posts: 215Member
    I could see screens of the future being detachable from the back and on a cable of some sort, I envision some sort of HDMI/USB cable (wireless would be better but I just don't think it would be reliable). If the connections were waterproof and I could place the screen back on the camera so it would look like today's D800/810 I would be for it. Disadvantages I could see are you lose the screen and have to buy another one. Advantages might be you could get a replacement screen just in case you did drop your camera and it broke, you could get a new one unlike today's D800/D810.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,745Member
    I will see what I think of it after I train my wife on her D5500 when she receives it in January.
  • SnowleopardSnowleopard Posts: 244Member
    Waist Level View Finder.......
    ||COOLPIX 5000|●|D70|●|D700|●|D810|●|AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED|●|AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D|●|AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D|●|AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G|●|AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D|●|AF-S Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED|●|AF-S VR Zoom-NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED (Silver)|●|AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III|●|PB-6 Bellows|●|EL-NIKKOR 50mm f/2.8||
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Waist Level View Finder.......
    It's not the 1970's anymore, move on.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    Or get a D750.
    Always learning.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
  • autofocusautofocus Posts: 625Member
    I guess this question has been answered.
  • PhotocellPhotocell Posts: 7Member
    I understand it's convenient but trying to focus my eyes onto a small 3.2 inch display is not that of importance to me. I honestly think a better solution for me would be a portable external monitor like a Lilliput 5inch or tether liveview to a tablet which some have even better resolution.
    @Photocell: I agree essentially, but we'll just have to wait and see how responsive the screen is. I have very dry skin and so struggle with most touch screens.
    Always learning.