Lack of Traffic

paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
There seems to be less traffic on NF,"Not much yellow blob action", is it that people have less to say, or is it November Blues.
Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits

Comments

• NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    After a new product is announced, there isn't much to talk about really. Mostly it's just about Nikon quality control issues.

You can feel free to participate in the Rainbow thread though. :D

Here's something to listen to...

Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • kanuckkanuck Posts: 1,300Member
    edited November 2015
    I have actually found this to be the case for quite some time now. Since around spring of this year or so. It is true though that there hasn't been an exciting body release with ground breaking specs since 2012 or so...
    Post edited by kanuck on
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited November 2015
    We can always bring up D400 again ;-)

generally though.. I have been out of it due to health issues .... since may
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• PapermanPaperman Posts: 469Member
    Lack of traffic is common issue with most photography forum sites. There is less and less to learn in digital photography; almost every technical topic has been covered ... Not much left that is not known by everyone. Less and less new products, no major innovations/development to talk about ....
    Thats like saying that there is no one going to restaurants anymore cos you have eaten every thing already.. nothing new to try....
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• PapermanPaperman Posts: 469Member
    edited November 2015
    :) That can be true if there are only 10 restaurants in the town you live and you have tried all their items in their menu a few times each ....
    Post edited by Paperman on
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    Perhaps it's time for reflection rather than new gear. I have had my D810 and Otus 55 lens for just over a year now, It,s still a pleasure to use and I still get knocked over by this combinations results. Perhaps it is because I take more time to do set-ups but the feel and touch of these two is like handling the old cameras rather than bits of plastic some manufactures use today.
  • kanuckkanuck Posts: 1,300Member
    Lack of traffic is common issue with most photography forum sites. There is less and less to learn in digital photography; almost every technical topic has been covered ... Not much left that is not known by everyone. Less and less new products, no major innovations/development to talk about ....
    This forum was different through it was thriving from about 2007 til even after it switched over to this new overhauled platform about 2 years ago. It has been lagging about 6 months ago it seems now though. paulr is right.
    Perhaps it's time for reflection rather than new gear. I have had my D810 and Otus 55 lens for just over a year now, It,s still a pleasure to use and I still get knocked over by this combinations results. Perhaps it is because I take more time to do set-ups but the feel and touch of these two is like handling the old cameras rather than bits of plastic some manufactures use today.
    Nothing wrong with this idea! Lots of nice reflecting to be done too

;)
    Hmm ... seems one of my posts got lost .... ..
    I was just saying that ... there is nothing really new under the sun.. all we need are some creative topics and I am sure we can wax lyrical .. :-)

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    If things don't pick up, we'll just have to go out and take pictures! Surely there must be something to talk about?
    Always learning.
  • Parke1953Parke1953 Posts: 456Member
    How about I Just got a brand new grandson Izaiah last week and I'm driving to California on Friday to visit with him. Will be taking lots of pictures of him for sure. Free of course. :D :D :D
    Well I have just picked up on an old hobby ,playing music, Now you think photography can be hard, Try learning how to read notation on a music score, plus your fingers have to do different things at different speeds, This going to be a big hill to climb.
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    Silly topics discussed ad nauseam by a few people who seemed to hijack the site. Serious photographers and serious enthusiasts left because it all became just so annoying and tedious.
    @PitchBlack are you now back?
    Anyway, I thought for sure you would have jumped on the Sony a7r2 given the auto eye detection through most of the frame...if I recall the lack of spread AF points on the 810 was your biggest complaint.
  • NikonMickNikonMick Posts: 41Member
    Exogenous factors or endogenous factors ? That is, external factors or internal factors.

Most of the responses above have cited external factors, ie lack of new gear, less to learn and no innovations.

I'd suggest, however, we look at internal factors for explanation of the traffic decline - namely changeover of moderators, attitude of new moderators to dissenting views and a prerefence by new moderators for "observation of socially niceties" in the answers or discussion. Let alone the "hijacking" of threads.

I think these factors are the more likely explanations for the traffic decline - they certainly have contributed to my lack of interest in contributing.

Over and out,

Mick
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Another possible reason is that with the camera market in decline there are simply fewer new people coming looking for advice.

Also, fewer people are buying their first, or even second, high end digital camera at this point so more people have the basic knowledge that has often filled sites like this one in the past.

Oh yeah, and as others have said, life happens and priorities can change.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    Nothing can be as annoying or tedious as Nikonites
    I think photographic tends seem to vary in different countries. I can only speak for the Uk and I travel round numerous camera clubs and the general indication is that more new members including young members are joining camera clubs which is very welcome. I think photographers thinking of buying new equipment tend to wait and see what Christmas/new year bargains are going to temp them. with special discounts. I am sure we have seen this calm before the storm before, so to speak,
    I am an all weather photographer so when its bad weather less people are around so I can concentrate on what I am doing without people coming and asking why am i taking that perticular photograph.
    Whats with all the negative nancys .. ? think positive .. make good suggestions ... :-)

• Rx4PhotoRx4Photo Posts: 1,200Member
    edited November 2015
    I remember when the PAD thread used to change pages with every day of the month. This is more of a gear-centric board anyway. Not so much of a editing, processing, creativity, critiquing board. Lately I rarely look at the "issue with my camera" or "what lens to buy" threads. More focused on the visual outcome and creativity of my efforts.

@paulr, that question you were asked when shooting the bicycle became the subject of a local TV news story 2 or 3 years ago. Apparently, here in West Palm Beach, if someone sees you photographing something that does not involve a "person" in the scene they have the right to report you to the authorities as "suspicious." That's why street photography isn't very popular in this area. Of course this could be the same contingency that opposes statewide high speed rail, wind turbines for energy, and thongs on the beach.

8-X
    Post edited by Rx4Photo on
    D800 | D7000 | Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 35mm f/1.8G | 85mm f/1.4G | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM | Zeiss 100mm Makro-Planar ZF.2 | Flash controllers: Phottix Odin TTL

...and yet you do.
    Always learning.
    Exogenous factors or endogenous factors ? That is, external factors or internal factors.

Most of the responses above have cited external factors, ie lack of new gear, less to learn and no innovations.

I'd suggest, however, we look at internal factors for explanation of the traffic decline - namely changeover of moderators, attitude of new moderators to dissenting views and a prerefence by new moderators for "observation of socially niceties" in the answers or discussion. Let alone the "hijacking" of threads.

I think these factors are the more likely explanations for the traffic decline - they certainly have contributed to my lack of interest in contributing.

Over and out,

Mick
    So what do you suggest? Are we to allow snide comments and passive aggression to poison the forum just so a few individuals feel comfortable coming on here? As far as I know, there has been no change of attitude towards "observation of socially niceties" as you put it since I joined the team here. A standard which was set by Msmoto, Golf007sd, Adamz and Jonnyapple before me, but I can assure you I will keep up their high standards even as far as banning members who don't observe the forum rules.

By the way, I don't recall dragging anybody to their PCs to post here, so if it really is that disagreeable, feel free to find a forum that meets your requirements. If you would like me to delete your membership, you have only to ask.
    Always learning.
  • NikonMickNikonMick Posts: 41Member
    edited November 2015
    There you go PB, my observation is, unfortunately, confirmed.

Put simply, your comment re "snide comments and passive aggression" remarks are viewed by many others as forthright and contestable ideas that are worthy of either agreement or refutation.

It's nothing personal let me assure you, just a tendency of moderators, in any number or subject-matter forums, to see themselves as gatekeepers of "socially appropriate" responses.

As to your suggestion, that "If you would like me to delete your membership, you have only to ask", my response is that this is indicative of an illiberal gatekeeper's mentality.

As I said, nothing personal.

Mick

Post edited by NikonMick on
  • 9viii9viii Posts: 25Member
    edited November 2015
    A few days ago the website didn't let me post anything.
    Seems to be working now!
    Post edited by 9viii on
    I've been posting on here for many years. There is nothing here that has changed regarding moderation that 'explains' anything. Post numbers go up, and they go down. As Paulr suggested - November blues and lack of exciting news from Nikon which engages the members.

Those that remember NicoDoby will know that the moderation is more hands free now, except in the area of abusive behaviour.
    Always learning.
    edited November 2015
    {gatekeepers of "socially appropriate" responses.} -- I think that is by definition what moderators ARE. So you are saying that they are doing their job :-) Great.!

Look, moderating a forum is not an easy job.. I am happy that some have volunteered their time to do it.

The rules are what they set... Its like going to someones lounge room.. They set the rules the public MUST FOLLOW no matter how weird. If you dont like the rules don't visit their house. So to one, I remember to take off my shoes and take off my hat before I enter. Make sure I don't wear sandals and T-shirt to one. Or to another I must have a Tophat and cane. Do I get offended if I get a gentle reminder to leave the pistol at the door?

Yes some rooms are weird.. You may need to wear a mask and take off your shirt.. other rooms you just need to wear a tie ;-) You dont need to go into every room and call out "blasphemy" and point fingers in those weird ones... just walk pass.. go to the tea room or the smoking room, wherever you are comfortable in. Forget about the nerds in the kitchen taking apart the toaster.
    Post edited by heartyfisher on