Nikon no pop-up flash discussion/solutions

2»

Comments

• IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Ah, the pop-up wouldn't have the red AF beam assist either, just a short bright light, and commander mode, so you only need two functions, not three, to replicate your precious pop-up. Stop inventing purple unicorns where ordinary unicorns will do.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    But, purple IS my favourite colour !! :-)

Actually the functionality is available now its just a second large flash at least as large as a SB800 or SB700...

with a popup I can easily hand hold both the Flash and camera one in each hand, for flexibility in directing the light instantly. I think its going to be tough holding a camera with an SB800 mounted with one hand ! I really don't like giving up functionality when I UPGRADE..

I had a look at the D750 in the shop today .. maybe its not so bad going to full frame. it has a popup flash after all ... ;-)
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I had a look at the D750 in the shop today .. maybe its not so bad going to full frame. it has a popup flash after all ... ;-)
    Get both hearty :-)
    Always learning.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    How funny, and I thought I was the only one who accidentally bumped the pop up flash release....what is not revealed is what may be emitted from our mouths immediately after this happens.....

The gaffer's tape, yes!
    Msmoto, mod
    edited January 2016
    From a different thread .. forum.nikonrumors.com/discussion/44/too-lazy-to-start-a-new-thread/p15
    Yebbut if you get a D500, for sure you need to get an SB5000... :P
    Is this correct..? what are the reasonings for or against this idea ..
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

I meant that if I were able to spring for the D500 I would be able to find the extra for the radio flash.
    Always learning.
    edited January 2016
    I meant that if I were able to spring for the D500 I would be able to find the extra for the radio flash.
    Oh ok, I must say I am tempted to upgrade my old SB800. when/if I get the D500 but I am still not too convinced that it does any better in the ways I use it...

So my options are ..(when I consider the upgrade to the SB5000)
    1) Keep Sb800 - Get an SU800 (or clone) or 2 radiotriggers
    2) Get the SB5000 and .. some kind of Nikon Wifi dongle thingi ? Which I still have not wraped my head around yet...

• SnowleopardSnowleopard Posts: 244Member
    Depending on what I am doing, I keep a full size studio strobe with a battery in my camera backpack... might look kinda funny to people.... but they haven't seen what 640ws can do mobile compared to a speed light... just saying....
    ||COOLPIX 5000|●|D70|●|D700|●|D810|●|AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED|●|AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D|●|AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D|●|AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G|●|AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D|●|AF-S Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED|●|AF-S VR Zoom-NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED (Silver)|●|AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III|●|PB-6 Bellows|●|EL-NIKKOR 50mm f/2.8||
  • SportsSports Posts: 365Member
    Triggered :-) by the "no commander" issue - a SU800 (clone) could be an option, but I also started looking at the Yongnuo options for radio triggers, which looked quite confusing. Well, maybe it's just me ... There's
    a 560 "device" (or set of devices)
    a 602 "device" (or set of devices)
    a 603 "device" (or set of devices)
    a 622 "device" (or set of devices)
    Does anyone have experince with some of these? I have a hard time figuring out what they can and cannot do. None of them are able to be a commander, I make it.
    D300, J1
    Sigma 70-200/2.8, 105/2.8
    Nikon 50/1.4G, 18-200, 80-400G
    1 10-30, 30-110
  • jonnyapplejonnyapple Posts: 131Moderator
    I mentioned this in the D500 thread, but I've used it in commander mode and concluded it's not my favorite anyway (too many button presses for me). I bought a wireless trigger set for something like $30 and it's great (ishoot is the brand). Flash sync speed is 1/250s, so not spectacular but just fine for studio work. I would probably never use the on-camera flash as a flash.

Given the choice between bigger viewfinder and on-camera flash I know what I'd choose.

@Sports, I took a look at the 603 set you mentioned, and what I like about it is that it will work as a remote shutter, too. That's a nice setup and less in your bag. To use as a flash trigger, one of them attaches to your hotshoe and the other becomes a wirelessly-connected hotshoe for whatever flash you want to put on it. It looks like it's got PC sync if you're using studio strobes. Flash sync of 1/320s, so better than the ones I have, but mine do have a 1/8" jack that I use for my studio lights instead of PC.
    CC is welcome. DC is also welcome when I deserve it.
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    Most people don't just want to trigger an off camera flash from the camera; they want to be able to control the intensity of at least three groups of off camera flash (main, fill and hair). The background could be a fourth group or it could be combined with one of the other groups.
  • jonnyapplejonnyapple Posts: 131Moderator
    I guess my question is whether it's easier to just walk around to your lights and adjust them or adjust them in-camera with commander mode.

Different people might have different answers but I was never convinced by my early experimenting that I would use the commander mode, so I invested in strobes that were more versatile in other ways (brighter, more and better light modifiers available for them) instead of getting a whole slew of Nikon flashes. My setup is not as portable. I'm also a nerd who likes actual knobs and sliders to show me current settings, so I understand I might be in the minority. There are times I have to lower a light to adjust output and I admit that can be a pain. But I do feel like I've used my lights enough now that I don't spend much time adjusting output.
    CC is welcome. DC is also welcome when I deserve it.
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    When you can adjust in camera or from the camera position it is easier to shoot, view the effect, adjust light, shoot again, adjust, etc. Walking back and forth often is not just one trip.
    edited February 2016
    What I really dont like about the workarounds is the extra bits i will have to carry around.. I find if i have to fiddle to find (dig around the bag) and plug in an extra bit (let alone 2 extra bits for remote flash triggers ) the bug has flown/jumped away ..

I cant belief it but I am now ( slightly ) considering skipping it...

PS: my subconscious may be rebelling against the thought of ditching the D500 !! LOL .. Just had the idea of getting the R1C1 set .. all solved LOL !!

The R1C1 will sort the problem for sure hearty. My set-up is a sort of 'poor-man's R1C1' and it does the business for me. Has larger light output surfaces and the option of light from the commander though so could even be better. A third SB700 on the top shoe in commander mode would sort it for you too and you would have a good set of flashes for portrait shooting.
    Always learning.
  • Ton14Ton14 Posts: 698Member
    edited October 2016
    @sports. Yongnuo does not look quite confusing, it is confusing. Now they have the YN685N flash with build in trigger. You buy the commander (cheap) YN622N-TX and your done :) .
    Post edited by Ton14 on
    User Ton changed to Ton14, Google sign in did not work anymore
  • MegapixelSchnitzelMegapixelSchnitzel Posts: 185Member
    I've always thought of a pop-up flash as just a couple more areas that need to be moisture and dust sealed. If I need lighting I'll use my own rigs. One of the things about the D500 that interests me is that nice, solid top, sans pop-up.
    edited December 2016
    Has anyone tried the "Godox X1T-N Transmitter Flash Trigger"?

It looks like it would solve all my "no-popup" issues !!

And can be used as the base of a wireless flash system that can cheaply grow to a few more flashes! Anyone have experience with the Godox flashes ?

• IanGIanG Posts: 104Member
    "Yes", and "it does"
    Cameras, lenses and stuff. (I actually met someone once who had touched a real Leica lens cloth.)