Compact Camera's... High end Coolpix... Nikon 1.... Nikon DL....

13»

Comments

• SnowleopardSnowleopard Posts: 244Member
    NSXTypeR said:

Hmm, so you don't shoot with any compact cameras at all? Cell phone maybe?

For days when I don't want to carry a DSLR but want way more control than a cell phone, the Sony RX100 has been very enjoyable. The menu system is clunky, sure, but I use it less often than a Nikon DSLR so that's to be expected.

I was hoping Nikon would go that route so I wouldn't have to relearn menus and stuff like that. There's probably some brand loyalty involved there too.

I'm probably far more likely to buy another compact camera than another DSLR body. I'd probably only do that if I kill my D7000 the same way I killed my D40- putting too many shots through.

Oh well.

Yeah, the camera on my Note 3 is only so.so, I had a Note 7 that had a decent camera, but those have been pulled off the market because phone manufacturers do not understand the importance of "removable batteries" It's a rare breed these days.

Rx4Photo said:

I was actually somewhat looking forward to their DL series because I want something to throw into my messenger bag to take anywhere I flit off to.

I suggest the iPhone 8. New rumors suggest it now is supposed to shoot in 3D.
    The only thing I use apple products for are target practice these days :-D When the next version of the Note comes out I will retire my Note 3.
    ||COOLPIX 5000|●|D70|●|D700|●|D810|●|AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED|●|AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D|●|AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D|●|AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G|●|AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D|●|AF-S Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED|●|AF-S VR Zoom-NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED (Silver)|●|AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III|●|PB-6 Bellows|●|EL-NIKKOR 50mm f/2.8||
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,287Member

Yeah, the camera on my Note 3 is only so.so, I had a Note 7 that had a decent camera, but those have been pulled off the market because phone manufacturers do not understand the importance of "removable batteries" It's a rare breed these days.

The only thing I use apple products for are target practice these days :-D When the next version of the Note comes out I will retire my Note 3.

What's wrong with the occasional land mine? That's an added feature in my opinion.

I use a Nexus 5x, which has quite a good camera, when the phone doesn't boot loop. It's a very well known problem amongst LG phones. I was very lucky my phone was within its warranty period, and even then it was repaired and it wasn't repaired well, it had cosmetic damage.

I actually like Apple computers, I don't like their phones. I prefer stock Android, hence the Nexus phone that I got, but that didn't quite turn out too great.

When it doesn't boot loop, I do like the output, and there is a manual camera app for it too.

Trigger Finger
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    NSXTypeR said:

What's wrong with the occasional land mine? That's an added feature in my opinion.

I use a Nexus 5x, which has quite a good camera, when the phone doesn't boot loop. It's a very well known problem amongst LG phones. I was very lucky my phone was within its warranty period, and even then it was repaired and it wasn't repaired well, it had cosmetic damage.

I actually like Apple computers, I don't like their phones. I prefer stock Android, hence the Nexus phone that I got, but that didn't quite turn out too great.

When it doesn't boot loop, I do like the output, and there is a manual camera app for it too.

Trigger Finger
    The 2 main requirements for my phones are 1. Micro SDXC Card Slot (I am running a 256gb memory card + the internal storage on the phone) and a removable battery. My Note 3 has a 10,000 mah battery.

The camera is not what I get my phones for. That kills any Nexus phones right off the bat, Same with Pixel and HTC phones which I actually liked years ago. Right now the only phone that meets those requirements is the LG v20. Not interested in it.

Find me an Iphone that accepts memory cards, has a removable battery and one that I can run Linux on and we are gold.
    ||COOLPIX 5000|●|D70|●|D700|●|D810|●|AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED|●|AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D|●|AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D|●|AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G|●|AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D|●|AF-S Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED|●|AF-S VR Zoom-NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED (Silver)|●|AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III|●|PB-6 Bellows|●|EL-NIKKOR 50mm f/2.8||
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    @Snowleopard What is the reasoning behind your requirements? I can kinda understand memory, but even then, you can push stuff into the cloud vs. local storage. For batteries, there are so many external battery solutions, some of which integrate nicely into the phone, it seems that is another solution, and may open up some possibilities for you.
    edited February 2017
    Gotten pretty far off topic, but it's a good discussion. 32 gig internal memory would be my minimum for any phone now, along with a good camera. I really like the new Nexus/Pixel cameras, so I'll probably get whatever the next generation Pixel phone is. I'm okay with 1 day's worth of battery, that's the industry bare minimum now. Not that I want things to stay that way, but if that's the best we've got so far, I'll take it.

I will say that I hate iPhones for being so damn inflexible with so many things, I prefer Android phones for their customizability.
    Post edited by NSXTypeR on
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    Ironheart said:

@Snowleopard What is the reasoning behind your requirements? I can kinda understand memory, but even then, you can push stuff into the cloud vs. local storage. For batteries, there are so many external battery solutions, some of which integrate nicely into the phone, it seems that is another solution, and may open up some possibilities for you.

I am not big on third part clouds and their Terms of Service. That is why I have the SAN and "low end" data center type storage at home.

When it comes to external battery packs, Samsung made a nice one for the note 7, but the loss you experience in total mah through wireless power/charging is a head ache.
    In an extreme pinch I use Vavabond Mini's to recharge my phones, tablets and even power a laptop if they are not connected to studio lights.

I just like the battery pack I have for the note 3, it is the zero lemon 10,000 mah battery pack, it mounts on the phone using the existing battery slow and then extends out making the phone thicker which does not bother me and it is one less thing to carry.

Storage, I still own a record player and purchase CD's (I don't do the mp3 thing). I rip the CD's to lossless flac files and have shure headphones plugged into the phone. Lossless audio files start taking up space quick, I guess I could use wav files, but I prefer flac. When the 512gb and 1 or 2 TB micro SDXC cards come out, they are going in the phone.

Back to the original topic, I would love a compact all in one coolpix with a full frame sensor and the clean ISO's of the 810 in a lighter mirrorless body. Nikon won't do it.

• MackiesbackMackiesback Posts: 4Member
    I have an iBattz battery case for my iPhone. The batteries are removable from the case, I have three total as backups with wall chargers. I can go entire business trips without sniffing a charger if I want. I have no idea why more people don't do this.

As far as 1" sensors, yeah they are a little limited, but I am pretty damn impressed with what my Sony RX100iv will do. As far as P&S cameras, I really haven't seen better. Of course, if Nikon deliver a DL version of the 18-50 with a bigger sensor, I would probably trade for that.

None match the image quality of the 810 of course, but the 810 isn't always in the cards.
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    The phones are great but none will do what the Nikon Coolpix B700 will do and the Nikon B700 is considerably cheaper.
    Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Sure, and the B700 won't do what the D800 with a 800mm F5.6E will do either. The days where buying a point and shoot made sense are long past.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    edited February 2017
    Yes you are right PB_PM but it won't break the bank, ideal for touring has a back up camera and more important it only weights 570 grams. so it won't break your back either. I used it on a recent tour along side a D810 and some pro lenses, finished up using the B700 more, just cause it was more convenient and less obvious in certain risk areas.
    Taken with a Coolpix B700

b6
    Post edited by paulr on
    Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits
    This post from the main blog would explain why the DL cameras were cancelled.

http://nikonrumors.com/2017/03/18/sony-to-no-longer-sell-certain-sensors-to-third-party-manufacturers.aspx/
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    During the farce which was my NYC visit, I had to buy a P&S and got a fair deal on a new Sony Alpha 5000 at $300. Thinking that bigger is better, I went for its APS-C sensor. What a disappointment it has turned out to be. Even at 100 ISO there is a lot of noise in the shadows which means that my Sony Experia Premium takes better shots than that APS_C camera. It seems that size isn't everything. I have seen much better shots from the Nikon 1 than the Sony.

As an aside, Maybe Nikon should drop 90% (not the P900) of their P&S's and concentrate on DSLRs.
    Always learning.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited March 2017
    Sorry? "As an aside, Maybe Nikon should drop 90% (not the P900) of their P&S's and concentrate on DSLRs. " not that I disagree .. but I don't follow the logic ....
    PS:I love the IQ from my N1-J5...
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

Just because my mobile takes good enough pix for the occasions I don't have a proper camera.
    Always learning.
    ... and I think they are wasting resources on products that less people want.
    Always learning.
  • HipShotHipShot Posts: 528Member
    Rx4Photo said:

Nikon needs to stop phlucking around with DL's and coolpix and develop a proper high end full frame mirrorless camera chock full of technology. If not, their camera division will be "Ni-gone." Nobody carries general cameras anymore. Everyone's using cellphones! So Nikon, come out with something that serious photographers are willing to spend extra money on. Ok!?

Maybe Nikon should make cellphones. :)
  • BVSBVS Posts: 440Member

... and I think they are wasting resources on products that less people want.

But, I don't think they'd make them if they weren't profitable. If they're still making them then somebody must be buying them, no?

I could be wrong, but I thought I read somewhere before that other parts of the world (e.g. Africa) still buy lots of compact cameras.
    D7100, 85 1.8G, 50 1.8G, 35 1.8G DX, Tokina 12-28 F4, 18-140, 55-200 VR DX
    That is a surprise because the folks from that region are pretty much inseparable from their phones.
    Always learning.