Tamron 150-600 G2

Comments

• retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    I posted these on the 70-200 E thread earlier. I have been following two many threads and must have been asleep at the switch.

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Tamron_SP_150-600mm_f5-6-3_Di_VC_USD_G2/index.shtml

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/tamron_sp_150_600mm_f5_6_3_di_vc_usd_g2_review/

I still have not decided which way to jump Sigma 150-600 Sport, Tamron 150-600 G2 or the Nikkor 200-500.
  • SteiwaSteiwa Posts: 15Member
    edited November 2016
    retread said:

I posted these on the 70-200 E thread earlier. I have been following two many threads and must have been asleep at the switch.

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Tamron_SP_150-600mm_f5-6-3_Di_VC_USD_G2/index.shtml

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/tamron_sp_150_600mm_f5_6_3_di_vc_usd_g2_review/

I still have not decided which way to jump Sigma 150-600 Sport, Tamron 150-600 G2 or the Nikkor 200-500.

Guess we are on the same level at the moment, besides, I have sorted out the Nikon 200-500. Seems to have slower af-speed compared to the Sigma & Tamron.

Let me know when it`s settled. :-)
    Post edited by Steiwa on
    Steiwa said:

Guess we are on the same level at the moment, besides, I have sorted out the Nikon 200-500. Seems to have slower af-speed compared to the Sigma & Tamron.

Let me know when it`s settled. :-)

Right now I am leaning toward the Tamron G2 for the smaller size and maybe a bit better IQ. The Sigma Sport as second choice mostly because of size and lastly the Nikkor. I have not had a chance to handle a G2 or a sport and want to do that before I decide and of course have the available cash.

I have had a 200-500 on loan from Nikon for about an hour and got some good shots. The same goes for the Nikkor 80-400. I have always been one to use what ever was available for a support. Tree, post, building, vehicle, or whatever but think the size could be important when a support is not available.

Weight of the lens does not bother me too much when shooting but the size and weight do matter when adding them to the bag.
    Looked at both Sigma Sport & Tamron G2 in a shop the other day. Besides the difference in weight, I`m still more in to the Sigma. Buildt like a tank, and will probably suit me better, in use. But i will like to know more about IS, before I decide. 80-400 is very interesting. Flexible, and nice range, but on my D3s, I think the 600mm reach is better. My thoughts so far.
    I have the 70-200 2.8 VR II use it with a TC 2.0 III sometimes I can see some IQ loss and other times not. I wonder about the 1.4 TC with the 150-600 Tamron and Sigma both have them. I don't think they would be much use except in very bright light and a good support. I will be using mainly a D500.
    I think, with such a nice camerahouse with crop like a D500 - just forget TC. At least with the 150-600, since you will reach at least F8 at once. Think I would have dropped TC, even with the 80-400 if I used a D500.
    I`m using a D3s at the moment, which is "only" 12 mpx, which gives me less options for cropping, so that`s my main point for looking at the 150-600
    With Christmas and a birthday coming up I am getting close to treating myself. Leaning to the G2 for size handholding on BIF and air shows. Plan a trip to camera shop in a couple weeks. We will see if I break the bank. I need to sell some cows. Maybe they will take some on trade. ;)

Unfortunately cattle market is down now.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    even with my D7100 Dx and the 150-600 I still most times need to crop often to 100% to fill the frame with the bird
    I often have to go to what would be beyond 100% if I were to fill the whole frame. I am using a 70-200 with and without a tc 20 III on cropped frame cameras. I am betting a move from 600 to 900 on the long end is a big one.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    You will be surprised retread. I've always found increases of focal length to be disappointing. Just put your FX into crop mode to see it.
    Always learning.
    I bit the bullet and got the G2 Saturday. Photo shop was having a special Tamron day and I spoke to some I know who had used it for awhile. I have spent an hour shooting eagles in a tree and so far think it will work fine.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    "it will work fine." ?
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• CoastalconnCoastalconn Posts: 527Member
    You might get a hoot out of this.. Tamron filmed a video about me doing BIF tips with the G2 to promote the lens...
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited December 2016
    Nice work as always. Thanks for sharing this, even though it's likely Tamron paid you for it. I know it's likely a YouTube compression issue, but most of the "sharp" images look soft to me (especially the TC ones).
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    @PB_PM youtube didn't do it any favors. I posted 5 raws awhile back in DPR here is the link. 3 are with the TC. It is what it is. https://www.mediafire.com/folder/lzo40kp3aw6nb/Tamron
    @Coastalconn awesome work !! "... Can I go .. " LOL !
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

@heartyfisher The opening is really funny. I was doing an interview type Q&A sitting on a rock in the woods. First the Jay came in and started screaming and then I heard the Osprey. The part that would have been funnier was me running through the woods being chased with 2 guys with cameras. Hopefully they will do a blooper video because we had some really big laughs in the 2 days of filming.
  • shubhabrata29shubhabrata29 Posts: 30Member
    Hi whoever got this G2 version, are all of thise made in Japan or China ? I got mine today, wanted to know id there is a Japan Version at all.
    Plus $330 import duty for UK but a brilliant buy in the US
    I have had the G2 for a few weeks and practicing some birds in flight when I have a chance. I have used a monopod with a gamble head and some hand held. Beginning to get the hang of it. At 900mm (d500) it works better than I had thought it would. I have not and held for any long periods of time. First air show will really test me on that. My biggest problem is keeping focus on the bird and not the background. With clear sky that doesn't seem to be a problem.

Has anyone seen any good head to head comparisons with the Sigma 150-600 sport lens?

• DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    On the Internet one of the reviews gives a through comparison of,the various G2 competitors.
    After reading and re-reading I am buying the G2!
    edited January 2017
    err .. at least tell us the name of the reviewer !! :-) the internet is not that big but .....
    Post edited by heartyfisher on

• DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    The Digital Picture, Bryan Carnathan....plus talking to every rep I could,about the various lens. I know people who own the Nikon 200-500 and this lens. Almost every lens I get is a Nikkor...But the. Equal price and 100 more mms and prolific photographers on the Internet own both as well, most of their shots....are with the 150-600 G2 or the 70-200 Nikon. Usually shot with Nikon D5.
    edited January 2017
    Why the D5 ? seems the worst pixel density choice ....even with 24 MP,DX and 600mm most of mine are 100% crops...suppose the birds in the UK are small.
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on