Tamron 150-600 G2

Comments

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Pixel density is irreverent if the camera cannot keep up. The D5 is the fastest camera Nikon has, so why not use it?
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    I have seen a number of photos with this lens from Yellowstone. They were good. Taken by photographers who also own the Nikon 200-500.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    I have the G1 version so I looked on DXO to see if the G2 was better....However you read it its worse....anybody explain
    edited February 2017
    I have seen tests that make it clear the new one is better!
    Post edited by DaveyJ on
    Focusing is more accurate, faster, less prone to lock ups. I have shot a lot with the G1. G2 has a Arca Swiss tripod mount, does way less searching......MANY own both and use the G2 almost all of the time and keep,the G1 fo back up. That is good enough for me.
    edited February 2017
    Daveyj ..can you point me at the tests ...I don't have any problems with focus or lock ups and don't use Arca Swiss. keeper rate is very high with the VR off . Terrible with it ON and don't think about a UV filter .....
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
  • retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    edited February 2017
    I have the G2. Never tried a G1. I got it reading some reviews that compared it to the Sigma sport and I like the smaller size, weight, and price. Should I have saved some more money and got the Sigma?

I got it for wildlife and air shows. Practice shooting time is in short supply but I seem to be getting better at BIF. Sometimes with a monopod and a gimbal head and sometimes hand held.

Post edited by retread on
    I have again photographed with the Nikon 200-500 and the Tamron G1 150-600. The Digital Picture rates the new G2 as better than the G1, the price difference to me suggests the newer lens is better if you are buying it now.If I owned the G1 I have been using, I'd keep it and continue using it. Mike Jackson on BestoftheTetons owns both the 200-500 and rates the Tamron better according to how much he uses one, and not the other. The Coastalconn post earlier does send me enough of a message....he is using his G2 under pretty active conditions. If I was shooting BIF or rapidly moving stuff I would not want the tripod at all. Tamron would,have not made the th G2 without reason. Again though if I owned the G1 I would keep,and use it. But since I don't right now have a lens longer than several 70-300 (I,have sold or given away some long glass) and I,know it is time to get longer view.....presently there is a 50 dollar rebate...which will.be gone before my money is deposited to make my purchase...ll
    The problem with digital picture is that the lenses are on different cameras.
    The reason Tamron made the G2 is profit.
    I shall keep my G1 unless I can dump it on the wife but I will need more convincing before I buy a G2
    I agree with Pistinbroke completely in his case. If I were in that situation I see no reason to jump from G1 to G2! My situation is different I think....

I also read the Digital Picture review and noticed the different camera problem in their review. I would certainly not think of having the wife get the G1 as dumping it on her. There is I am sure only an incremental difference in G1-G2. Right now there is a $50 rebate. Which will. Be gone before I purchase!
    Just started to wonder why my G1 was not working quite right ...and the fine focus has moved from -2 to +6 as it has "run in"..1500-2000 shots as I only use it when I visit the Somme ..
    If you fine tune a lens with the dock does that get it right with all cameras or is matched to that camera only. Seems it should be very close on all cameras but maybe not quite perfect due to some camera variation.
    Believe it is just for that camera!
    Well sigma told me not so ..once adjusted it will be good on any nikon but you may need to adjust the camera fine focus slightly +3--3 to compensate for camera variations.

Well sigma told me not so ..once adjusted it will be good on any nikon but you may need to adjust the camera fine focus slightly +3--3 to compensate for camera variations.

It seems to me that is the way it would be.
  • RobLW365RobLW365 Posts: 2Member
    retread said:

How can sigma guarantee that one lens will fit 100% perfectly on every model and every produced Nikon body?
    If you fine tune your lens for one D810, then that doesn't guarantee that it'll be perfect for the next d810 or D7200 that you sit the lens on, if it did offer that guarantee, then Sigma would do that fine tuning themselves before they let the lens leave the factory.
    RobLW365 said:

retread said:

How can sigma guarantee that one lens will fit 100% perfectly on every model and every produced Nikon body?
    If you fine tune your lens for one D810, then that doesn't guarantee that it'll be perfect for the next d810 or D7200 that you sit the lens on, if it did offer that guarantee, then Sigma would do that fine tuning themselves before they let the lens leave the factory.
    As I understand this if you tune the lens to one camera other cameras should fine tune to the lens with an adjustment to the camera of +3 to -3.
    Question is how well does the G2 handle video,at distance like in Yellowstone?
    edited March 2017
    The fat photogerapher is doing a comparison of the Nikon 200-500 with the G2 as we speak ..should be interesting...

Just looked through it ..not all 23min but basically the Nikon 200-500 is sharper..no mention of the dock being used. G2 fine at f8-f11....watch it yourself
    edited March 2017
    That is exactly NOT the conclusion others have posted in multiple locations. All the fat photographer shots are based on relatively close distances like wedding shots. Wildlife photographers and farm and ranch and majestic scenery photos are usually based on 500ft minimum and ofeten pretty close to infinity. I tested the Nikon 200-500 and the Tamron 150-600 G1. The Tamron G2 is reportedly better.
    Post edited by DaveyJ on
    edited March 2017
    daveyj..for some reason I cannot access his sample shots from here in the Uk and I agree with you ..could not see me using my 150-600 at a wedding ! anyway I got the old one and only use it about 4 times a year when I visit the somme so not going to buy another ..my wife has the sigma 300mm F4 and thats fantastic even at F4
    edited March 2017
    A lot of wildlife photos in Wyoming and for that matter in Upstate New York are fairly distant shots. I do not hunt, but have a few half mile rifles, and know the distances to many interesting creatures is pretty close to.....a long way away! By Somme I think you refer to the former battlefield? I have never been there but what views I have seen there were again, a long hike!
    I would NEVER buy the G2 if I had the G1! Question is since I have used the G1 and given unfortunately that many shots are quite distant, I prefer to get close, then get closer......but wary wild animals do not trust folks in Upstate New York and even for that matter in our National Parks unless a big salmon run or something pulls them in! When that happens, I have found a 16-80 is about best for me. But the usual shot is usually way, way out there!
    Post edited by DaveyJ on
    Yes the Somme river estuary ..Wildlife reserve with 16 hides overlooking salt flats..sunken walkways between them..on the coast not the battle fields.
    Ilooked on DXO for the N 200-500 not yet tested ??? but found the G1 and G2 had.
    On the Canon 5D mk4 the G1 showed green at 600m f8 but the G2 was yellow after 500mm. so if my brain is working G1 is better than G2 @ 600mm and the field coverage was superior .....Think I stick with the original tamron 150-600..I think the fat man is saying Nikon better wide open but not much in it at F8/11
    I try to shoot everything at f9 thru f11. That does require some light. I run ISO at 800-1600 for field photography. The photographing I am doing is pretty close to the shooting you are doing at Somme Estuary. I may even borrow the Tamron G1 I have been using to take out to Yellowstone. I have almost no use for a telephoto wide open as I need max possible depth of field. Although f6.3 is pretty stopped down compared to say f4. I also need the 600 mm end of the lens for sure. Right now if I bought a Tamron I would buy the first one as a G1, and return it if it were not capable of performance I could accept. Then maybe later get a G2.