BIF help

2»

Comments

• retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    I am amazed a the D500 focus system. When they put it in a D8whatever I am in. Just need to find the cash somewhere.
  • trolleytrolley Posts: 206Member
    So after photographing racing motorbikes today in (mostly) reasonable light and playing around with some settings, I have reached a few conclusions:
    1) Motorbikes going past you at ~170mph are fast! And difficult to focus on.
    2) Even approaching you nearly head on, they're difficult.
    3) Trying to get the 'arty' look using a slow shutter speed (1/60-1/100s) mostly was a waste, But a couple turned out OK
    4) Generally 1/1000s & up was better. And f10 - which meant ISO 800-2000. And at ISO 2000 on the D800 I think it's quite grainy
    5) A problem is that you're limited to where you can stand - & people's heads get in the way!
    Out of ~300 shots, I reckon maybe 30 are 'OK'. And I'm happy with 5-10 i.e they're fairly sharp & can be blown up without losing too much quality
    It might be unreasonable under the circumstances to expect to get shots like the pros using my setup. I might be expecting a bit too much. But maybe not - just needs more practice & a high reject ratio.
    And much of that applies to my BIF - high ISO, long distance from the subject, fast moving.
    But thanks for the suggestions - they've definitely helped improve some shots