OMD E-M5 vs. Fuji X-E1 vs. Sony Nex7 vs. Nikon 1 V2

13»

Comments

• heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited February 2013
    I think it makes sense to me. Nikon is competing with the other manufacturers here like the Sony Nex, fuji XE1
    But they already are in competition.
    http://shop.nikonusa.com/store/nikonusa/en_US/pd/ThemeID.18145600/productID.259443900
    Given, it's cheaper... but having a $750 Mirrorless and a $1000 or $1100 Mirrorless with a few more features with the same miserable lenses doesn't make any sense. ESPECIALLY since that camera came out 3 MONTHS ago.
    ?? I am not understanding you i think..
    The V1 uses the cx sensor which although is good can't really compete with the apsc mirror less from Fuji and Sony for High ISO. So the Nikon Apsc mirrorless would fill the gap, no ?

"same miserable lenses" ?? surely the new Nikon Mirrorless will have a new mount and new lens system .. the first being the 18mm. I will be disappointed if they didnt make an adapter to use the corrent Nikkor lenses as well .. especially for the Longer lenses. It would not be a big disadvantage to use them with an adapter. I would assume that they would stare with the shorter focal lengths as that would be the most advantages of the new shorter mount to sensor distance.

it seems clear to me that this may be the start of the new Mirrorless line that will replace the mirrored DSLR.

Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• aquarian_lightaquarian_light Posts: 135Member
    have You ever tried the lenses from Nikon 1 aquarian or are You just saying this based on Your thoughts. IMHO, the biggest problem with Nikon 1 system are the potential clients who never played with the cameras and are judging the system based on personal assumptions.
    Yes I have had my hands on those plasticy things. That stupid lock function they do drove me nuts for the 5 minutes I had my hands on each one. Such a high performance body, SUCH a shame that the lenses take up just that much extra time before the camera is ready to fire. Just image trying to hit that annoyingly small unlock button on the lens with a pair of gloves on.
    On the other hand,the features of the camera are pretty astounding. The FPS is incredible, that slow-mo mode seems to be almost revolutionary. But it also is not without it's short comings. The sensor size.... 13.2mm x 8.8mm.... really? thats a 2.7x focal length crop. That's pretty close to ridiculous.
    D800E, 24-120 F4 VR, 50mm 1.8G, 85 1.8G, 28mm 3.5, 135mm 3.5

?? I am not understanding you i think..
    The V1 uses the cx sensor which although is good can't really compete with the apsc mirror less from Fuji and Sony for High ISO. So the Nikon Apsc mirrorless would fill the gap, no ?

"same miserable lenses" ?? surely the new Nikon Mirrorless will have a new mount and new lens system .. the first being the 18mm. I will be disappointed if they didnt make an adapter to use the corrent Nikkor lenses as well .. especially for the Longer lenses. It would not be a big disadvantage to use them with an adapter. I would assume that they would stare with the shorter focal lengths as that would be the most advantages of the new shorter mount to sensor distance.

it seems clear to me that this may be the start of the new Mirrorless line that will replace the mirrored DSLR.
    Yes, I'm not saying that camera wouldn't be nice to see... but it would effectively make the Nikon 1 series and all of its lenses entirely and immediately obsolete. Why would anyone buy a 750 dollar camera body with a CX sized sensor (smallest sensor in any interchangeable-lens camera currently) when 3 or 4 hundred more will buy you an APSC mirrorless system? Not a single soul on earth would buy the 1 V2 if nikon released an APSC mirrorless camera. Not unless the 1 V2 becomes very significantly cheaper. say, 300-500 instead of 700-800.

• TaoTeJaredTaoTeJared Posts: 1,306Member
    Fuji images "feel" better if you like the look of Fuji film. Since I'm used to Kodak colour film, I prefer the "Nikon" look.
    With the right software you can give any camera any look if it's got 14 bit or more colors to work with. But point being that the Fuji just seems more... true to life right out of the camera... is the best way to put it. I've downloaded OMD files, they can be made to look better, but that's just something I'd have to do to every image on import.
    Software just can't get you to Fuji's images. They have a bit of a color shift on all the colors that shoot skin tones fantastic (a bit warm), Blues and magenta to electric, Greens are brighter (not to my taste though) and everything in between is just richer. I choose Nikon originally for the more neutral (un-altered/not stylized ) color and I love it for that. But as my walk around - friends and family, the Fuji goes with me all the time.

I agree with you - I would not be surprised if you will not be able to use the current nikon lenses on the mirrorless system.

I like the J/V system and think it is a good group. For it's size, lack of a few tactile features I am accustom to and initial cost though, I felt that there were better systems that FIT ME BETTER. I think many people need to add those last three words to their disapproval of the system. There is a big difference between a garbage camera, and a camera that someone personally doesn't enjoy.
    D800, D300, D50(ir converted), FujiX100, Canon G11, Olympus TG2. Nikon lenses - 24mm 2.8, 35mm 1.8, (5 in all)50mm, 60mm, 85mm 1.8, 105vr, 105 f2.5, 180mm 2.8, 70-200vr1, 24-120vr f4. Tokina 12-24mm, 16-28mm, 28-70mm (angenieux design), 300mm f2.8. Sigma 15mm fisheye. Voigtlander R2 (olive) & R2a, Voigt 35mm 2.5, Zeiss 50mm f/2, Leica 90mm f/4. I know I missed something...
  • GodlessGodless Posts: 113Member

the new Mirrorless line that will replace the mirrored DSLR.
    I seriously doubt that will happen while I still live and breathe.

The mirrorless systems would have to equal or surpass DSLR:s in every department, including weatherproofing, AF tracking and excellent lens lineup, and be able to compete in the price department also.

Currently, all mirrorless systems are lacking in their potentially strongest area. Meaning : apart from pocketability and pancakes. No system has an optically excellent long (500/600mm equivalent) tele yet. The Pana 100-300 is lacking , the Oly 75-300 is lacking. No system has a Tilt-Shift either. The sensors are so-so in most mirrorless cameras (apart from the OM-D and Fuji offerings).

• MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    I am going to guess again...my usual....

The Nikon mirrorless pro body, FX, will have a large opening in the body which will allow very nice tilt shift lens utilization. We may see a 50mm throat vs. the 44mm throat of the current F mount.

Whatever Nikon brings to the table, my suspicion is they will have an adapter to accept all the current pro lenses and these will work flawlessly. Wow, did I just say that? Must have forgotten about the D600...oh well...
    Msmoto, mod
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    I am going to guess again...my usual....

The Nikon mirrorless pro body, FX, will have a large opening in the body which will allow very nice tilt shift lens utilization. We may see a 50mm throat vs. the 44mm throat of the current F mount.

Whatever Nikon brings to the table, my suspicion is they will have an adapter to accept all the current pro lenses and these will work flawlessly. Wow, did I just say that? Must have forgotten about the D600...oh well...
    I would be surprised/disappointed if it were not all that and more.. Nikon knows the importance of a standardized mount .. this is an opportunity for Nikon to design out all those niggly bits that were a pain to the nikon lens and camera systems when they decided to not change mounts some 20-30 years ago.

Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

At some point calling we will have to depart from the catch-all term calling these systems "mirrorless" and find a better names that reflect what they are. As I see what companies are playing/struggling with are really four different systems in this market segment;
    Smaller cameras intended as:
    Advanced/high end, single lens cameras (i.e. X100, Sony RX1, Leica x2, Sigma DP series)
    High end/Advanced DSLR replacements (i.e. OMD, E-P3, LUMIX® GH3, GX1, Xpro1)
    Mid-range Consumer Dslr replacements (i.e. LUMIX® G5, Oly E-PL5, FUJIFILM X-E)
    Mid-low range Consumer compact cameras with interchangeable lenses (i.e. Oly E-PL3, LUMIX GF5X, Pentax Q)
    D800, D300, D50(ir converted), FujiX100, Canon G11, Olympus TG2. Nikon lenses - 24mm 2.8, 35mm 1.8, (5 in all)50mm, 60mm, 85mm 1.8, 105vr, 105 f2.5, 180mm 2.8, 70-200vr1, 24-120vr f4. Tokina 12-24mm, 16-28mm, 28-70mm (angenieux design), 300mm f2.8. Sigma 15mm fisheye. Voigtlander R2 (olive) & R2a, Voigt 35mm 2.5, Zeiss 50mm f/2, Leica 90mm f/4. I know I missed something...
    At some point calling we will have to depart from the catch-all term calling these systems "mirrorless" and find a better names that reflect what they are. As I see what companies are playing/struggling with are really four different systems in this market segment;
    Smaller cameras intended as:
    Advanced/high end, single lens cameras (i.e. X100, Sony RX1, Leica x2, Sigma DP series)
    High end/Advanced DSLR replacements (i.e. OMD, E-P3, LUMIX® GH3, GX1, Xpro1)
    Mid-range Consumer Dslr replacements (i.e. LUMIX® G5, Oly E-PL5, FUJIFILM X-E)
    Mid-low range Consumer compact cameras with interchangeable lenses (i.e. Oly E-PL3, LUMIX GF5X, Pentax Q)
    DSLRs have all those different levels but they're all still called DSLR. Cannon Rebels are DSLRs... so are D4's. More names for things just makes it more confusing. Calling them all those you mentioned mirrorless cameras is perfectly fine. CAlling them anythings else would just be a different name for the same thing and then we'd have to memorize what each company decided to call each level of mirrorless camera.
    And what happens when all cameras go mirrorless? Eventually they will.
    And what happens when all cameras go mirrorless? Eventually they will.
    Then they'll just be called cameras :)
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Maybe we should stop worrying about what they are called and just take pictures. ;)
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    Maybe we should stop worrying about what they are called and just take pictures. ;)
    Yes but with what??????????? I can't decide!!!!!!!

:-?

I feel like that just might be a jab at those of us asking about camera opinions....
    :-w
  • GodlessGodless Posts: 113Member
    Maybe it´s better if things get simpler, as modern day people are mostly comparable to cows in the intelligence& talent department. So, give a cow a camera, and see if the cow gets creative. 3:-O
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited February 2013

From your list of cameras I think you should use the NiFion D1151X IR converted!!!
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • GabGab Posts: 63Member
    edited February 2013

Btw Adobe just fixed their Fuji demosaicing in LR4.4. It's not exactly perfect, but it would be good enough for me.
    Post edited by Gab on

Btw Adobe just fixed their Fuji demosaicing in LR4.4. It's not exactly perfect, but it would be good enough for me.
    Why don't you just say "Raw converter" like everyone else?
  • GabGab Posts: 63Member
    edited February 2013

Why don't you just say "Raw converter" like everyone else?
    What can I say, I'm an odd son of a gun.

Post edited by Msmoto on
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Actually, the word "Demosaicing" is a neologism. A new word from the mind of someone who wanted to describe the process.

So, it is easy to get confused.....especially for old folks..LOL
    Msmoto, mod
  • adamzadamz Posts: 842Moderator
    sounds good for younger ones :)
  • TriShooterTriShooter Posts: 219Member
    I think the V1 is underestimated and under appreciated by many people. I took this V1 shot of one my dogs this afternoon which has no sharpening, noise reduction, or adjustments of any kind, three raw shots, layered in CS6 with Tammy 200-500mm @ 500mm using manual focus at F/6.3, ISO 800, and 1/1250th second. This camera takes great pictures. If you like to shoot in the dark uses layers to get rid of the noise and keep the sharpness.

This is a shot of a goose with the 300mm F/4 af-s lens on the FT-1. It does not get much better than this even with the D7000. This goose shot was sharpened some as I recall.

• SatoSato Posts: 50Member
    Oh dear, My D600 has turned me into a paranoid spots on photo's finder.
    There's a black spot above the goose's head.

How good is the 10-30 lens that comes with the V1? I know it can't ever match the D600 + 50mm f/1.8G but I'm looking for something inexpensive that fit's in my coat pocket, And at 240,- Euro the V1 more then qualifies.