Color Help

13»

Comments

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    The first image has some very minor issues, the whites are a little off, but other than that it looks fine.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • ericktessierericktessier Posts: 38Member
    Do we get to the conclusion that everything was linked to the screen calibration?
    I think we reached that conclusion on the first page. ;) Regardless, never skip any possibilities when trouble shooting.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    edited April 2017
    Exactly :wink: It took me a couple of days to pull the files and analyze them, so perhaps behind the times. :tongue:
    Post edited by Ironheart on
  • ggbutcherggbutcher Posts: 392Member
    I ran both images through exiftool to extract all the metadata, and found:
    • "Final JPEG Through Lightroom.jpg" does not contain any ICC profile. It does contain one of the five DCF tags some cameras use to describe the encoded color space in lieu of a profile, Color Space: sRGB.
    • "Final JPEG Finished By Lightroom.jpg" contains a sRGB ICC profile, looks to be from Hewlett Packard. It also has the DCF Color Space: sRGB tag.
    So, I'm inclined to believe both images were encoded in the camera with the same color space, and I see no reason to think that there was any color space transform along the way.

That said, there seems to be a bit of divergent processing to the images, based on these XMP differences:

Tag,"Finished","Through"
    XMP:Clarity2012,0,+18
    XMP:Contrast2012,0,-11
    XMP:Vibrance,0,+18
    XMP:Exposure2012,0.00,-0.04

XMP is a metafile group I'm not familiar with, possibly what LR uses to save image manipulation information? The Contrast and Exposure values would lead me to believe they're the differences I perceive between the two images; I'm not sure what to ascribe to Clarity and Vibrance...

Calibration is good, but I'm not so certain that was your problem, @kanuck. Hope this helps...
    XMP files are used by Lightroom, and several open source photo editors, to store information on edits, keywords etc.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Ironheart said:

To summarize, what I see is the top image is about a normal range of saturation, the bottom image is a bit more saturated. They look the same on laptop, screen, phone.

I think you meant the reverse here Ironheart, The top one is the one that is more saturated, not the bottom one.
    ggbutcher said:

That said, there seems to be a bit of divergent processing to the images, based on these XMP differences:

Tag,"Finished","Through"
    XMP:Clarity2012,0,+18
    XMP:Contrast2012,0,-11
    XMP:Vibrance,0,+18
    XMP:Exposure2012,0.00,-0.04

XMP is a metafile group I'm not familiar with, possibly what LR uses to save image manipulation information? The Contrast and Exposure values would lead me to believe they're the differences I perceive between the two images; I'm not sure what to ascribe to Clarity and Vibrance...

Calibration is good, but I'm not so certain that was your problem, @kanuck. Hope this helps...

Those metadata differences are simply due to the images receiving different levels of editing aren't they GG?

I don't see anything above that lead me to think anything other than the new pc and/or screen need calibrating.
    Always learning.

Ironheart said:

To summarize, what I see is the top image is about a normal range of saturation, the bottom image is a bit more saturated. They look the same on laptop, screen, phone.

I think you meant the reverse here Ironheart, The top one is the one that is more saturated, not the bottom one.

Duh, yes.
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    The top one on my 4k Mac screen are a lot more punchy more saturated in colour/
    Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits
    edited April 2017
    @paulr That is to be expected as they are processed differently. The question we were trying to answer was, does the same image (top or bottom) look the same or different on different devices, such as cell phones, tablets, laptops, monitors, etc... The answer seems to be that they look relatively the same across the different media.
    Post edited by Ironheart on
  • kanuckkanuck Posts: 1,300Member
    edited April 2017
    I just processed some shots from this past weekend's trip to Qatar and I set the work profiles to sRGB for both Lightroom and Photoshop then using the calibration given from Spyder 5 Pro and got some final images that I am comfortable with!! Yea :) They look decent on my much crappier old Samsung laptop, but finally look nice and snappy with rich colors on my Apple (mini, Iphone 7). I think they finally actually match the files I produced on my new ASUS 4k monitor!

I will take a look at the film you sent me through dropbox Ironheart, and thanks everybody for helping out these past 2 weeks. I REALLY have appreciated all your help a lot.
    Post edited by kanuck on