Switching about switching

2»

Comments

• snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member

I was really impressed by the D850 group AF on BIF's. I don't do much of it, but as a shotgun shooter I know how to move my body. Keep the gull in the viewfinder and bam! Sharp shot.

On the D810 I find the group AF to be too slow and I rather use single point. It's nice to hear that group af works for you on the D850.

For macro, it is great too, but being FX there is the disadvantage of the shallower DoF if you want to fill the frame.

For macro (plants) I am very interested in the focus stacking functionality of the D850. Have you tried it?

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    edited October 2018
    I gave it a go on a multi-tool and found it good, although I got aberrations around the edges and haven't tried it since. I will give it another go but it isn't a high priority for me as my insects are all alive and moving.
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
  • daveznspacedaveznspace Posts: 180Member

My mate has a 7D2, it is a very good camera but it seems you have to be excellent in the understanding and use of its AF ...

All true but do you want and/or have the time to learn about the canon af system or just get the Nikon, set it to group area af and go find some birds ;-). aka it just shouldn't be that complicated in today's world.

True. When I got my D850 I was amazed by not searching through BIF's for sharp shots, only best composition.

My mate has a 7D2, it is a very good camera but it seems you have to be excellent in the understanding and use of its AF ...

All true but do you want and/or have the time to learn about the canon af system or just get the Nikon, set it to group area af and go find some birds ;-). aka it just shouldn't be that complicated in today's world.
    True. When I got my D850 I was amazed by not searching through BIF's for sharp shots, only best composition.
    On my D7000 my keeper rate was about 40-50%... ugggg lol

The day I got my D700 I went down to this marina in Tampa Bay and took I think 1507 shots with the same lens (70-300 vr) and like 3 were out of focus. I have yet to own a newer camera the gets better focus than the D700. I'll see when I get a D850 but that D700 got some crazy shots (like behind my head and no looking bif)