XQD Availiblity

2»

Comments

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    edited March 2018
    WOW, only 300 on 32GB? Drat.

EDIT: Actually less than that because I would shoot the largest files. 250?
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    OK, I did an experiment. I filled my 128GB card and got 2,293 shots.

This is on 14 bit lossless compressed where the file size is typically about 50 to 55MB.

If you shoot uncompressed the typical file size is about 95MB. When the D850 tells me how many shots I have left, it presents a worst case scenario. That would be 1,200 shots with 14 bit uncompressed.

I cannot think of any reason to shoot anything other than lossless 14 bit compressed except in one scenario - see below.

So Sparynpray, you should get about 550 shots with a 32GB card and you should expect the highest image quality possible out of your D850. There is no quality advantage that I can think of by shooting uncompressed.

The one reason that I can think of to shoot something else is to shoot 12 bit lossless compressed when shooting at high ISOs (above 800). My source on this is not my own personal testing, but Thom's D850 book that I am reading. Thom has done extensive testing on this and says that above ISO 800, there will be little or no difference between 14 bit and 12 bit. That makes sense.

Since the typical file size with 12 bit lossless compressed is about 35MB, you should get almost 3,000 shots on a 128GB card.

Also, I had my D800 battery in the camera and used 95% of it to get 2,293 shots. Note that this is an older battery model and Nikon has significantly upgraded their latest battery so you should expect significantly better performance. I think the combination of my D800 and D5 battery should give me at least 6,000 shots. This is simply unbelievable. Battery life is no longer any sort of issue. You could go on a one week vacation without spares or a charger unless you took an insane amount of shots.
    That's very kind of you @WestEndFoto, thanks.

So, when I overflow onto my 95Mb/S Sandisk Extreme Pro SD card, I will only notice any difference in speed if I shoot more than the buffer holds right as the SD is
    quarter of the speed of the XQD - right?
    Always learning.
    Yes, the speed will be the same until the buffer fills. You will notice two things. First, since your buffer empties slower, it will seem smaller. And second, your frame rate will drop to the speed that the buffer empties if you are on continuous shooting and you keep your shutter release pressed. For example, since the XQD empties faster, when the buffer is full you will get more shots per second than the slower SD card.

Personally, I use the SD as a backup so I am affected at all times, but I also have the fastest available SD cards so it is tolerable. Wanna pop $2,500 on cards? Things get expensive fast.
    Hah! Yeah, that's never going to happen. I'll go with the slower option. Despite my handle, I'll rarely overflow the buffer.
    Always learning.
  • vtc2002vtc2002 Posts: 364Member
    Spraynpray said

Hah! Yeah, that's never going to happen. I'll go with the slower option. Despite my handle, I'll rarely overflow the buffer.

@spraynpray I know you shoot macro's, you might want to consider getting at least a 64gb Sony G or Lexar 64gb 2933x (might be able to find these in a local store) if you plan on using the focus stacking functionality with the D850. 128gb may be the best choice. I have used it several times but I have not filled up the Lexar 64gb but it can quickly fill up your card depending on your selections.

Westendfoto said

The one reason that I can think of to shoot something else is to shoot 12 bit lossless compressed when shooting at high ISOs (above 800). My source on this is not my own personal testing, but Thom's D850 book that I am reading. Thom has done extensive testing on this and says that above ISO 800, there will be little or no difference between 14 bit and 12 bit. That makes sense.

@WestEndFoto If there is little or no difference other than size of the file I see no reason to shoot in 12 versus 14 bit raw. Storage is cheap and the forgetting to switch your settings back to 14 bit could result in less than desired photos the next time you use your camera.

edited March 2018
    @vtc2002 Exactly that happened to a friend with his Canon 5DSR. A whole trip wasted.

Thanks for the memory tip, I just got one.
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
    Yes VTC2002, I completely agree with you. But if you are in a jam, it might be helpful.