D6 rumors?

I did a seach for Nikon D6 in the forums but didn't find anything.

Anyone know if there is a D6 in the works? If so any idea when it might hit the market?

Comments

• BVSBVS Posts: 440Member
    No rumors yet. Possibly not till next year since Nikon is focused on getting their mirrorless released right now.
    D7100, 85 1.8G, 50 1.8G, 35 1.8G DX, Tokina 12-28 F4, 18-140, 55-200 VR DX
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,745Member
    It is in the works. It will hit the market just before the next summer Olympics.
  • SportsSports Posts: 365Member
    Beginning of 2020 ... based on when D3, D4, D5 were released.
    D300, J1
    Sigma 70-200/2.8, 105/2.8
    Nikon 50/1.4G, 18-200, 80-400G
    1 10-30, 30-110
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,706Member
    I will suggest that the two mirrorless cameras we see out this summer will be with DX sensors (or maybe one DX and one FX) and the D6 will be Nikon's first D series full frame mirrorless when it arrives. Of course, no one knows but Nikon has to release mirrorless bodies very soon to stop migration to Sony and Fuji whose mirrorless bodies keep getting better and better, closing the gap and offering some advantages a mirrored camera cannot offer. I found the Nikon 1 system quite good but stopped using it because the sensor was too small. DX has to be the minimum size sensor for me.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,444Member
    DX mirrorles is no good if it has the poxy 20 mp sensor
    edited March 2018

............ the D6 will be Nikon's first D series full frame mirrorless when it arrives............

I find this unlikely. There are a few "reasons" to buy a Dx (4,5etc) camera. One is that it has the best possible auto-focus money can buy. And this is the biggest weakness about mirrorless that it may never be able to surmount. The latest Sony has done very well with auto-focus, but if you look closely, focus is often a little off - not a big deal at f/4.0 and maybe even f/2.8, but a real issue at f/1.4. With the D5 (and D850) you either nail focus or obviously miss it.

I could, however, imagine a mirrorless D850 and further, I could imagine buying one to complement my D850 - especially if the ergonomics were, like the D5 and D500, similar enough. What is it that would attract me? The ability to focus anywhere in the frame. Now at f/4.0 or higher, I can back focus anywhere in the frame and recompose without much trouble. But forget that if you are shooting at 1.4.

But if you ask me to make a prediction, I predict that the D650 (perhaps named something else) will be mirrorless in FX (using the f-mount) and that DX, using a new mount, will be something like a D5600 (and there will be both).

But as I said, it is a prediction which I have no basis for other than "if I was Nikon that is what I would do".
    Post edited by WestEndFoto on
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    @Pistnbroke: What do you have against the 20Mp sensor?
    Always learning.
  • eric727eric727 Posts: 26Member
    Seriously, I not sure whether “everyone” who using DSLR at the moment (pro to consumer) are hoping for mirrorless or wanted to change their system to mirrorless system.

It is always good to have new thing, but I don’t really see a “must have” features from mirrorless. While all “high-end” mirrorless and lens are getting larger and larger, for pro lens, it has not size and weight advantages compared to the DSLR pro lens.

I am wonder whether a mirrorless that having the similar features with D5 will be much smaller and lighter compared to what currently D5 is offering at the moment.

My 2 cents.
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    To me one of the big possible advantages with mirrorless is AF performance. It gives you true image recognition capabilities. That may not be that much better than the current systems in TOTL DSLR's but has a chance to bring higher performance to lower end models without much additional cost, since it's mostly software driven.
    My wife’s D5500 has pretty snappy AF. If you want great AF performance at a reasonable price, buy a D5600.
    I have a D5500. I purposely didn’t get a 5600 because of all the bad Snapbridge reviews. Bonus is that I can use the IR remote also, which I didn’t realize at the time of ordering but I’m sure that’s way better than hassling with a smartphone app.

I agree the D5500 AF (which I think is the same as the 5600) is pretty good. I’ve been shooting kids soccer with the 70-300 AF-P and getting pretty good results. And I’m sure many of the bad results are from me having the settings wrong.

But still I think mirrorless could theoretically do far better. There should be much less need for fine focus adjustments. And you could train it to track and focus on an object (like the soccer ball). Or you could have it recognize and always focus on a specific face. That’s stuff that mirror cameras will never have.
  • HankBHankB Posts: 222Member
    Here is a bit of irony — if manufacturers had retained the old micro prism and split-image focusing screen focus aids instead of deleting them when AF became the standard, the inevitable march to mirrorless would be slower.
    HankB said:

Here is a bit of irony — if manufacturers had retained the old micro prism and split-image focusing screen focus aids instead of deleting them when AF became the standard, the inevitable march to mirrorless would be slower.

Well I can confirm that manual focus is practically impossible on my D5500. If I need to do it for low DOF closeups under low light I use a tripod and chimp with the rear display.
    Yes, but that is a very specialized use. For what most people would use it for, it is quite good.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    HankB said:

Split prisms had some real downsides, like a darker viewfinder for one. Once most people were using AF there was no reason to have it. If there was enough demand Nikon would have kept making swap-able focusing screens, but clearly there wasn't because they stopped doing so. I fail to see what difference a split prism would have made, and has nothing to do with why mirrorless is taking off as far as I can tell.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • HankBHankB Posts: 222Member
    edited March 2018
    PB_PM said:

I fail to see what difference a split prism would have made, and has nothing to do with why mirrorless is taking off as far as I can tell.

Precise manual focusing is one of the things mirrorless, with its EVF, does better than a DSLR. To the extent that a given individual has/will move to mirrorless specifically for this particular attribute [before Nikon gets its mirrorless act together], a focusing screen focus aid might just delay his move to a time after Nikon finally drags its ass into the game.

If you think the manual focus issue is too small an issue to materially affect the overall market, we have no way to tell. This is all speculation.
    Post edited by HankB on
  • kanuckkanuck Posts: 1,300Member
    I was quite surprised the D5s wasn't released in time for the Winter Olympics this year in South Korea. Surely it will be released in time for the Soccer World Cup in June. I would think Nikon is pushing to finish the D5s before even considering the D6.
    kanuck said:

I was quite surprised the D5s wasn't released in time for the Winter Olympics this year in South Korea. Surely it will be released in time for the Soccer World Cup in June. I would think Nikon is pushing to finish the D5s before even considering the D6.

I think they are skipping this one.
  • kanuckkanuck Posts: 1,300Member

kanuck said:

Wow do you really think so? I think pros are really asking for it though...
    kanuck said:

kanuck said:

Wow do you really think so? I think pros are really asking for it though...
    Yes, I really think so. Hmmmm.......
  • pbull221pbull221 Posts: 32Member
    Olympics are in Tokyo, Japan.

This thread looks like it has not been touched in forever. Is there another forum I've not found?
    My question regarding the D6 is specifically regarding memory cards. Nobody is allowed to comment on this right now. Or that's how it seems. Seems weird to not tell us what cards I can use until after the darn thing becomes available.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,444Member
    edited May 2020
    A google search will tell you its XQD or CFe interchangeable. When was the question posted ?
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Hi @pbull221,

You can use CFExpress type B or XQD. Here is the manual, page 257 for that info:

http://download.nikonimglib.com/archive4/0jPaM00RmG8X04OHmHu51zF0mV11/D6UM_EU(En)01.pdf
    Always learning.
    Honestly, I forgot I posted this. Thanks so very much for the link. Been having trouble seeing out of my right eye so, yeah, harder and harder to work from home.

I wonder if there's a forum regarding where the heck is my D6. B&H either has a bunch of NPS members or for whatever reason Nikon is taking their time. I hope they get it right, I'm drooling for my first FX. I miss the feel of my F3 ...